Since when do champs get to pick their opponents?

I thought it was bad when Bisping wanted to fight Hendo in his first defense, but Woodley really out did Bisping by blatantly ducking Wonderboy. These guys really need to prove they belong there before trying to run the show
It's a bit different for Bisping.
In post press conference he openly said that jacare is the best contender , that he deserves the title shot, and that he will be happy to fight him. And then he added that he will also be glad to avenge his biggest loss ( hendo ) and that its up to the UFC to decide.

So regarding Bisping I don't think he ducked anyone IMO , just the UFC saw the $$$ and were fine with the Bisping - Hendo superfight idea

I thought it was bad when Bisping wanted to fight Hendo in his first defense, but Woodley really out did Bisping by blatantly ducking Wonderboy. These guys really need to prove they belong there before trying to run the show
So hes ducking Wonderboy for a fight against the most dominant WW champ in the history of the division. Gsp never lost his belt so I dont see the problem of Tyron fighting Gsp next if Gsp really wants to come back.

Oh yeah, and Eddie Alvarez is fighting Khabib last I heard, so that didn't work either

Where did you hear that? Last I heard, Alvarez was trying to wait and pray that McGregor fights him.

If GSP comes back he should fight the winner of Woodley/Wonderboy. I just don't get how the UFC can pass by a guy on a 7 fight win streak in which he completely dominated a few top 5 fighters/ex champs. Especially since Wonderboy has an exciting style that produces KOs and unpredictability. If he was a Maia type I could understand bypassing him for a bigger "name."

well a money fight doesnt all get the fighter a lot of money but also the ufc

why would they stop it

Didn't know the fighters made the matches. Always thought UFC did that.

Open the gate for one and everyone else expects the same. At this point I can't knock any of the champs wanting to pick there own opponent.

But that's up to the UFC to decide, not her. Champs shouldn't call out even the nr1 contenders. It should be the other way around.
It is up to the UFC and that's who you should have an issue with.

how can you have GSP as an example? he chose to fight Diaz when Nick was coming off a loss and not the #1 contender

Diaz had been the number one contender until GSP's injury, when he was rescheduled to fight Condit for the Interim belt.

Diaz lost, but the bout was questioned, so GSP fought them both back to back and put any questions about either match-up to bed.

The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title. Superfights/money fights should be reserved for dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes, who just became champions, and most likely won't be able to hold the belt for long, are in no position to make demands. I understand there will always be some exceptions to this in case of drawing power (McGregor), or legend status (Randy back in the day, or if Hendo became champ), but other than that, champs should have no right to pick their opponents.

I agree completely .. I am a fan of Nunes, but when she starts talking like she has, it almost makes me wish that she wasn't champ. The problem is that these new Champs watched Conor become a new Champ that had not even had his belt for an hour before he was holding his own press conference to announce that he was immediately moving up to challenge RDA at 155, and it set a horrible precedent.

Dana can of course put the squash on all of this, and I hope that he does, even though I am sure if he thinks there is enough money to be made in what is being proposed, then he won't put a stop to these dishonorable requests made by brand new Champs who haven't even defended their belts.

So hes ducking Wonderboy for a fight against the most dominant WW champ in the history of the division. Gsp never lost his belt so I dont see the problem of Tyron fighting Gsp next if Gsp really wants to come back.

GSP said he wanted to fight Woodley and not the other way around, If I'm not mistaken. Either way, he shot down the Wonderboy fight immediately following his win over Robbie which was before anybody was talking about GSP. I don't think I'm jumping the gun saying hes ducking Wonderboy

Back