Since when do champs get to pick their opponents?

I agree. He hasn't even proven that he could defend, let alone take on the best WW ever.

how can you have GSP as an example? he chose to fight Diaz when Nick was coming off a loss and not the #1 contender

The one and only guy he ever called out after becoming champ. Because Nick was talking mad shit. Come on man.

Why do you people continue with this childish behaviour ?

Some people act like Joe Silva and Sean Shelby sit around doing nothing and fighters just make their own fights. Most of the time, the UFC decides who people fight. So, direct your vitriol at Joe Silva for Bisping vs Henderson.

The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title. Superfights/money fights should be reserved for dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes, who just became champions, and most likely won't be able to hold the belt for long, are in no position to make demands. I understand there will always be some exceptions to this in case of drawing power (McGregor), or legend status (Randy back in the day, or if Hendo became champ), but other than that, champs should have no right to pick their opponents.

How many actual 'super fights' have there being?

I think there's being more fighters vocal about wanting one than them actually happening.

Johnson - he hasn't really said much about having a 'super fight' (I think) and his only option if he was to ask for one is against Cruz.

Cruz - he's being talking about going up to 145 and wanting to fight Aldo. I think from the UFC's perspective, they'll feel he still has the BW division to focus on.

Conor - he had the chance to fight for the LW belt and be the first fighter to hold two belts at different weight classes. That didn't go to plan with dos Anjos pulling out and Diaz beating him.

Alvarez - is like Woodley v2.0. I don't think he has the pull to pick his next fight.

Woodley - I wouldn't be surprised if GSP leap frogged Thompson and fought him. But I think he'll be told it's Thompson next.

Bisping - it should be Jacare. But this is a perfect example of how the rankings mean sweet FA. There is the history between the two and it's a possible PPV that would sell well and do a good gate if it's held in Manchester.

Cormier and Miocic are not going to move up or down.

Whatever makes money I'm sure the UFC will be drawn to that. But at best I think the majority of them could headline a PPV, but not against the opponent they want, or in the lighter weight classes maybe a co-main event on a PPV.

It's nothing more than talk. Only two fighters from that list have fights announced.

dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes

6Myyw.gif

... and to answer your question, since Mctweeter started calling his shots and the UFC obliged him.

I thought it was bad when Bisping wanted to fight Hendo in his first defense, but Woodley really out did Bisping by blatantly ducking Wonderboy. These guys really need to prove they belong there before trying to run the show

If the UFC thinks they will make money you can do whatever you want. Woodley is smart, playing up political unrest, calling out guys who draw that he knows he can beat. Belts give you hype, but I don't really care about who the champ is. I want to see the best fights and Diaz is it.

Well neither Woodley or Nunes have a fight booked right now, so you may be jumping the gun anyway. They can call out whoever they won't, but that doesn't mean that's who they will end up fighting. Let's wait and see until they put pen to paper on who they are fighting. Odds are Woodley fights Thompson and Nunes fights Shevchenko, so this may all be moot.

I feel most UFC champions have been sheltered from tough matchups. if you look at most title defenses.. they are bullshit. very rarely do we get the cormier vs jones superfights.

Now lets be honest. the super fights are worth money to these champions because they are the fights people want to see. If they are calling out tomato cans then I could see an argument. but if you are trying to shit on guys who want to fight opponents the fans want to see whats the problem?
I hate titles and rankings for the most part. Sometimes the top guys vs a champ is a shit fight. I'd like to see some styles make fights, fights. It would depend on the fighter as far as skill and style..Obviously some nobody isn't gonna be competitive..but then again the best fighter doesn't always win. Slim it happens..But for now since there's a ranking system, subjective a little, fighters that are ranked high and have win streaks need to be up for the TS's..Hendo/Bisping..I like Hendo, but he's not in the picture..and as much as I'd like to see him H-bomb Bisping, I think it will be more competitive..New champs should fight fight the contenders before the any of these "money fights"..Nick or anyone else that have been around and are tough for anyone despite losing some fights and not being ranked that high, IS definitely different from just some nobody from down the line..would it be entertaining, sure. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure about these fights..would depend on the fighters

All these new champions are fucking retarded. They can all go to hell.

Fight the best contender, the toughest fight, and prove your god damn mettle. Conor started it, royal ass that he is, but what amazes me is the gall that all these other stupid champions have following him. I expect this kind of behavior from Conor because I already know he's a class A clown, but it's surprising to see all these other nobody champions painting themselves the same color of stupid.

Dana needs to seriously sort out all these entitled Gen Y Millenial champions.

When UFC stipulates contract in a way where it dosnt make the most sense for a champ to fight the number 1 contender smart champs who want to make the most money out of their career will call out the money fights.

UFC has to fix this, not the fighters who want to get paid.

That's actually a crock of shit fight because Habib is vastly over ranked to begin with.

Going from Horcher to a title fight with a resume primarily full of bush league nobodies is abhorrent.

Khabib will most likely get hurt and it won't happen.

So don't worry.

Tito was the 1st I can remember pulling this shit.

The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title. Superfights/money fights should be reserved for dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes, who just became champions, and most likely won't be able to hold the belt for long, are in no position to make demands. I understand there will always be some exceptions to this in case of drawing power (McGregor), or legend status (Randy back in the day, or if Hendo became champ), but other than that, champs should have no right to pick their opponents.

Champs can't duck but they can say who they *want* to fight. Woodley wants to get paid-thats it. it's not a big deal.

Did GSP demand to fight Nick? Even if he did, he earned the right to do so by defending the title a million times. As a fighter your motivation is to become champ. Your reward is more money and recognition. As a champ you want to become dominant. An additional reward is more money and the power to request superfights.
Yes I think he did demand to fight Nick and yes I believe Dana said the same thing as to why Georges was granted the fight

The one and only guy he ever called out after becoming champ. Because Nick was talking mad shit. Come on man.

Why do you people continue with this childish behaviour ?
What childish behavior? All I did was state a fact

how can you have GSP as an example? he chose to fight Diaz when Nick was coming off a loss and not the #1 contender

That was an exception to his carer and reportedly he was in a very dark place at the time.

That was an exception to his carer and reportedly he was in a very dark place at the time.
regardless of the motivation, all i did was state that GSP was one of the first to "pick out their opponent" as was the original point of the thread

but to your point Georges did have a rather strange career, all in all

Since Lord McGregor blessed the UFC and all it's fighters/champs to go out and reach for the stars.

since the irish drama queen was allowed to, another reason she was bad for the sport

Back