Since when do champs get to pick their opponents?

psihomodo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title. Superfights/money fights should be reserved for dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes, who just became champions, and most likely won't be able to hold the belt for long, are in no position to make demands. I understand there will always be some exceptions to this in case of drawing power (McGregor), or legend status (Randy back in the day, or if Hendo became champ), but other than that, champs should have no right to pick their opponents.

Since MgGregor.

I think that that's when it became acceptable.

Zuffa made the rules to this game, the fighters are merely playing them. Some better (depending on your definition) than others.

It does wind me up.

Especially in the case of the WBW division. Dana raging about Holly not waiting for Ronda, and now Nunes doing exactly that ... Effectively putting the division on hold.

Champs should be fighting active top contenders imo.

This is only a phase, it won't last trust me...

McGregor will be forced to stay at FW, woodley will lose his next fight, and Bisping will fight Jacare once this hendo bs happens...

The UFC still holds all the cards... btw, the nick thing still probably won't happen, so Woodley is most likely going to be stuck against a trained assassin (wonderboy) who will murder him

Oh yeah, and Eddie Alvarez is fighting Khabib last I heard, so that didn't work either

We have much to thank McGregor for and a few things to dog him on.

People hate on GSP more than any other fighter. But he never pulled this shit. All he ever said is ... I want to fight the best in the world.

The UFC totally caused this shit. They need to fix it.

The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title. Superfights/money fights should be reserved for dominant champions like MM, GSP, AS, or JJ. Guys and girls like Woodley and Nunes, who just became champions, and most likely won't be able to hold the belt for long, are in no position to make demands. I understand there will always be some exceptions to this in case of drawing power (McGregor), or legend status (Randy back in the day, or if Hendo became champ), but other than that, champs should have no right to pick their opponents.

well nunes did call out the most dominant women's bantamweight champion ever.

They don't. They think they do but they don't. The UFC does.

Oh yeah, and Eddie Alvarez is fighting Khabib last I heard, so that didn't work either

That's actually a crock of shit fight because Habib is vastly over ranked to begin with.

Going from Horcher to a title fight with a resume primarily full of bush league nobodies is abhorrent.

well nunes did call out the most dominant women's bantamweight champion ever.

It doesn't matter who she called out. McGregor called out RDA for the LW title. That's no easy fight, but that's beside the point. They shouldn't get to make demands, unless they become dominant champions (superchamps? lol).

Champs should be rewarded with higher pay, as I think they do. Superchamps should be rewarded with money fights.

Agreed. It is ridiculous. Imagine I win the title and defend it against 3 guys in a row who are not in the top 10 rankings. How can I call myself "Champ" or expect anyone in the top 10 to respect me or call me that name.

It doesn't matter who she called out. McGregor called out RDA for the LW title. That's no easy fight, but that's beside the point. They shouldn't get to make demands, unless they become dominant champions (superchamps? lol).

sure it does- it directly contradicts your opening sentence, "The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title."

nunes did just that.

I feel most UFC champions have been sheltered from tough matchups. if you look at most title defenses.. they are bullshit. very rarely do we get the cormier vs jones superfights.

Now lets be honest. the super fights are worth money to these champions because they are the fights people want to see. If they are calling out tomato cans then I could see an argument. but if you are trying to shit on guys who want to fight opponents the fans want to see whats the problem?

how can you have GSP as an example? he chose to fight Diaz when Nick was coming off a loss and not the #1 contender

sure it does- it directly contradicts your opening sentence, "The whole point of being champion is that you have to fight the best of the best, if you want to hold on to the title."

nunes did just that.

But that's up to the UFC to decide, not her. Champs shouldn't call out even the nr1 contenders. It should be the other way around.

That's actually a crock of shit fight because Habib is vastly over ranked to begin with.

Going from Horcher to a title fight with a resume primarily full of bush league nobodies is abhorrent.

he's 7-0 in the UFC and he did have that fight where he manhandled dos anjos

how can you have GSP as an example? he chose to fight Diaz when Nick was coming off a loss and not the #1 contender

Did GSP demand to fight Nick? Even if he did, he earned the right to do so by defending the title a million times. As a fighter your motivation is to become champ. Your reward is more money and recognition. As a champ you want to become dominant. An additional reward is more money and the power to request superfights.

Back