• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
Guns are a right, driving is not.

I don’t want my 11 year old to drive a car but that does not mean I want to ban cars.
I don’t want to ban guns either but their is something wrong when it takes less time to get one than it does my drivers license.
Anytime anyone suggest rational gun regulations, everyone shuts it down with ban knives, ban guns, tyranny, not taking my gun.
If you want zero gun regulation, then let me know and I will not waste either of our time debating about sensible gun regulations.

2 week waiting period after you purchase your gun.
Mental checks every 5 to 10 years. Some sort of standardized test.
Tougher penalties for illegally owning a gun.
Those are the only three that I really care about.
Forgot to add, some sort of range test, nothing to complex but a basic test.

Alright. A stand on your position. I like it!

1) Who pays for the mental check and what would be a disqualifier? My main concern might be - have you ever been depressed? DENIED.
2) A standardized test for ownership? Like for example, what is required in most states for concealed carry?
3) Instead of tougher penalties on illegally owning a gun would you settle on enforcing the laws we currently have on the books as a compromise?

That might be one of the nicest dumpers I've ever seen. It's literally perfect. That butt is Alenka Bikar quality...

Anyways, an AR-15 or AK-47 doesn't makes it all that much easier to kill unarmed people. At close range, a Glock 17 is just about as deadly. Hell, even a good Maverick 88 $200 shotgun has an 8 shot capacity and is very easy to reload. 00 buck at close range is almost a guaranteed kill.

True. But I'm not dropping people at 400-500 meters with those. Or dropping potentially 30+/magazine.
Just saying. I'm not getting rid of my Colt M4 anytime soon.

AR-15's are the cheapest they've ever been. If you're resourceful you can build one for under $400.00 from parts.

They are going to be seen in more crimes, and there is going to be increasing call to ban them. Just a matter of time IMO.

Alright. A stand on your position. I like it!

1) Who pays for the mental check and what would be a disqualifier? My main concern might be - have you ever been depressed? DENIED.
2) A standardized test for ownership? Like for example, what is required in most states for concealed carry?
3) Instead of tougher penalties on illegally owning a gun would you settle on enforcing the laws we currently have on the books as a compromise?

1. I agree, we have all be depressed at one time or another, so that would also be my main concern, but I think some sort of written test can be devised that it would take more than the one time I found out my ex girlfriend cheated on me.
2. Just a mental test.
3. How do you feel about a basic test on the range, and a 2 week waiting period after purchase. You did not answer those, but to fair I added the range test a later post.
4. I can agree on your #3.

1. I agree, we have all be depressed at one time or another, so that would also be my main concern, but I think some sort of written test can be devised that it would take more than the one time I found out my ex girlfriend cheated on me.
2. Just a mental test.
3. How do you feel about a basic test on the range, and a 2 week waiting period after purchase. You did not answer those, but to fair I added the range test a later post.
Virtually any CCW course, that I'm aware of, involves supervised live fire; it already exists.

Are you suggesting that FMJ is armor penetrating?

You know that almost all rifle caliber ammunition is capable of penetrating body armor, correct?

You are also aware it is not legal to manufacture or selling actual "armor penetrating" as in, plates, correct?
You can purchase level 3 armor right now capable of stopping a 5.56 green tip.

Go more into detail. How do you propose to do mental checks on like 130 million people every 5 years. Who does it and what is in this check.

2. Just a mental test.

Mental test like IQ? Because I honestly do not think that a written exam of sorts can identify dangerous behavior. Some of the scariest people I have ever known, the ones you DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A GUN, are articulate and educated.

I don't like the 2 week waiting period.

One of the considerations is, for example, when an ex-boyfriend makes a threat. I do not believe she should have to wait 2 weeks. When you need a gun you need it now.

Question. can someone verify that an "assault rifle" by definition has to be able to switch to fully automatic. And if so, are those not already banned?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assault_rifles

Yes that is correct.

Not really banned but you can't go to the store and walk out with one. You can buy any full auto pre 1986. For a M16 you are looking at a minimum of 20-30k. Nfa stamp and extensive background check, finger prints and passport photo. The wait is like 8+ months right now.

You can purchase level 3 armor right now capable of stopping a 5.56 green tip.

As I said though - stuff that can go through plates is not legal. And I do not believe level 3 can stop green tip. I think that 3+ can at certain ranges. But I would not ever, under any circumstances, trust level 3 to stop 5.56.

Fmj is standard ammo for basically every centerfire round(pistol or rifle)

Fmj isn't hard armor piercing. Full metal jacket. It's a thin copper jacket surrounding lead. Soft point has lead exposed to aid in either expansion or fragmentation.

If you are talking about soft armor any rifle round will go through it.
So, we wouldn't be able to engineer stepped down 5.56 rounds with minimal armor penetrating potential? Say a soft copper head with an aluminium core instead of lead? I'll have to defer to someone much more knowledgeable. I'm not ashamed to admit that while I understand a little, I am week on ballistics.

She wants to talk about everything but guns.

That's not deflecting. That's smart. If you've got a new problem it makes sense to look at things that have changed. Guns have always been there.

I think there is a copy cat element to it that is facilitated by media coverage but restricting what the press can report on and how violates the first amendment.

lol. No problems with gutting 2nd Amendment rights but the 1st is sacrosanct? Come on man, let's use the same rationalizations. Surely "rights aren't unlimited" and "compelling government interest" apply everywhere and not just when it comes to rights you're willing to sacrifice. Right?

I've got dozens of guns. What's a waiting period on the next one going to do? How would you feel about limiting that restriction to first-time owners?

Give me a break on the testing. Having to prove you're not crazy in order to exercise a right is anathema to our system of rights and justice. Do you even America, bro? :D

Tougher penalties on felons possessing or attempting to acquire a firearm sound great! Why isn't that happening already, in your opinion? I'd go so far as to lay the hammer down on all perpetrators of violent crime. That's not gonna do shit when it comes to school shootings, but unlike banning rifles it might actually make a dent in murder rates.

When it comes to school shooters, those kids are under observation all the time at school. If there's an adjudicable mental health issue it should come to the surface. But how about if we prosecute more people for animal torture (where these kids seem to start) and then using that as a disqualifyier. I mean, torturing an animal to death is easily more heinous than popping your wife one in the jaw. :D

As I said though - stuff that can go through plates is not legal. And I do not believe level 3 can stop green tip. I think that 3+ can at certain ranges. But I would not ever, under any circumstances, trust level 3 to stop 5.56.

I got dupped into buying steel after I got out, come to find out the plates I ordered were getting penetrated by green tips out of a 20" barrel.

Back