Should the UFC strip Dominick Cruz of his title?

I was responding a comment made in response to somebody who started another thread earlier who wanted Cruz stripped and Barao made the champion.

ok. I'm sorry for lashing out at you.

The UFC didn't strip GSP of his title. But GSP went as far as to consider himself not the champion anymore and even losing his belt. I think he played this mind game on himself to make him more hungry to come back and win so I'm not sure.

I'm probably gonna get shit on but.... I think despite how amazing Barao is with his 25 years of age and 29-1 record, he's still a paper champion if he hasn't fought Cruz. People forget how good that guy is even if he doesn't finish fights. Still exciting to me.

If they do then they do strip him. But if they don't I don't think it matters. But they'll gain a lot of new MMA fans in 2 years and people will be like: "who the hell is Dominick Cruz?"

I think so. The belt [whether interim or legitimate] should be defended at least twice a year. I say give the champ 18 months MAX before stripping the title and making him come back as a title challenger...

i get what you're saying, but its seems a little crazy that we have to wait 6 months for one title defense.

I'd like to see fighters have the ability to fight 6 to 8 times a year if they want. UFC just doesn't keep their roster active on one hand but they have a ton of shows on the other. I like the fuel tv and fx cards alot and hope they have more and more of those and start stacking cards again for the PPV and Fox shows.

I say make it so if the interim champion defends twice and the champion is still out, then some striping is in order.

Yeah.
Nothing against the guy, but it's probably the right business choice and it's not like he won't get an immediate shot if he wants when he comes back.

I think Cruz should be stripped. It would honestly be to his benefit. After two ACL surgeries, the last thing Cruz should have to do is rush back. This way, he can fully rehab and come back on his own timeframe when he feels it is medically safe to do so. Promise him an immediate shot as soon as he returns, or let him take a winnable tune-up (Ex: Faber 3, Wineland, Menjivar).

I mean if it becomes ridiculous like 2 to 3 years then the champ should be stripped. To me if has to be worst case scenario though because "To be the champ you have to beat the champ." It devalues the belt any other way. Does anybody think Condit and Barao are/were champs? Not me, not even a little.

The interim belt is fine as long as its defended, make Barao defend that shit!

Did Condit actually refuse to fight??
I thought he accepted a rematch with Diaz until Diaz got suspended for a year

Yes, I think it was either him or his camp that came out and said that they were going to wait for GSP.

No he shouldn't be stripped of his title. Barao should have to fight the number one contender, which is the point of having an interim title holder. The UFC can not afford to let this division go stagnant. Keep it movin, lots of contenders emerging at 135.

have the interim title be defended and keep the fights going. Merge the two belts when Cruz comes back

Yes, but only because I don't wanna have to watch Cruz hop around for 5 rounds. 3 rounds would be plenty long enough to cure my insomnia.

I think something similar happened the first time Frank Mir won the heavyweight title and then got into that unfortunate motorcycle. I think the UFC let Arlovski defend the "interim" title but eventually promoted him to full champion.

why should Barao defend a fake belt, if Condit didn't want to? it's too much of a risk, because these fighters think "this is my opportunity at a world title and I don't want to throw it away taking a fight that isn't against the champion."

The UFC has 8 weight classes and 8 champions. When a champion defends the belt, it is a guaranteed main / co-main event. Barao gets promotional exposure and money for main-eventing a card, even if its a free one. A win guarantees him more money in the next fight and the exposure allows him to move to other promotions if he's cut from the UFC. I would assume take the opportunity to fight as often as possible, especially if it means he doesn't have to fight the toughest guy in the division. Presumably he also wants to get paid. He doesn't earn any more money being the champion if he doesn't fight.

Realistically, Barao isn't a proven draw, I suspect the UFC will let him sit on the shelf as long as he wants, maybe tossing him the top billing on a free card. Few fans will complain about the BW title sitting idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back