Should the UFC strip Dominick Cruz of his title?

Ozymandias

NA⸸URAL BXRN K⸸LLER
@Gold
Reaction score
he hasn't fought since October 2011. he has to have another surgery, he's going to be out until maybe August/September of 2013. this will be nearly 2 years of not defending your belt.

the UFC failed to do this with GSP. People complained it wasn't right "because he held the title for 3 years", I really don't give a damn how long you have been the champion, the show must go on. you can't keep holding the division back with injuries. I know injuries happen in this sport, but if your going to be out an extended period of time; strip the fighter of the belt!

Nobody likes interim titles, I for one think it's pointless. when Cruz gets back he can fight for his title, it just doesn't make any sense to keep hindering the rest of the bantamweight division anymore. it's not fair to the fighters, it's not fair to Renan Barao, who said he would wait for Cruz to get back.

Just set up McDonald vs Barao for the new bantamweight championship. when Cruz gets back he can fight whoever wins this fight.

I'm not sure I like the idea of stripping titles, but admittedly I don't like the idea of interim titles either.

I'm torn. Stripping seems harsh...

nope, Barao hasn't even defended his interim title yet, why should be be the undisputed champ

plus, Cruz may come back in 6 months, which isn't so bad

No, let Barao defend the interim title, then whoever is the interim champion fights Cruz to unify the belts

i think they havta learn from the gsp situation and strip it to keep the div goin forward with a belt being defended, divs been getting log jammed far too much in the last couple years

Yes. But only for the sake of not keeping the division in limbo. Cruz should get his shot at the champ as soon as he returns if he doesnt want a tune up fight.

I think so, but that's mostly just because I don't like Cruz...

I'd like to see a mandatory title defense within a period of time or automatically have interim champ or strip title and call them something else. Maybe champion emeritus? The belt needs to be defended. No holding up for tuf or long injuries. I think a minimum of 2 title fights a year per belt and no break over 12 mo for injury.

You guys dont understand the concept of an interim title.

You're supposed to automatically lose your title after 1 year... Unless you make the UFC GSP money, then rules don't apply.

I think it is actually the perfect scenario for an interim champion.

I think he should be stripped, when he returns, he should return as #1 contender or have 1 fight then the title

Unsure if the additional 6-9 months means he will be able to train after that or he will be ready to fight. If its just him getting back to training, I would say take the title away and give him a shot when he comes back.

Either way, I don't think its a big deal. That division is newer to the UFC and the delays in the title picture actually don't hold up much as far a hype and publicity for the UFC. If it was a LW-HW champ, it would be a different story.

whats the point of having champions then? You can lose your belt without losing a fight? This idea is absurd

Strip.

DC is not a dominant champ at the stature of a GSP with a reign at the top worthy of a two year wait. Besides...one bad recovery is a disaster. He'll never be the same again.

Back