Should the UFC strip Dominick Cruz of his title?

Nah, they didn't with GSP so it'd be a bit harsh here. It sucks, but I think it's a manageable situation.

If he's good to fight again in August/September, make use of the interim title and have Renan defend it against Michael McDonald. I mean, it'd end up having the exact same outcome as if you stripped Cruz of the title; both of them fighting and the winner fight Cruz after that. If that fight gets set for March/April, it'd be pretty much set up for Cruz returning 4 months later. I mean, you say Barao wants to wait until Cruz comes back, but stripping Cruz of the title and giving it to Barao would have him defending against McDonald anyway, it's not like if he got given the title he'd just sit on the sidelines until Cruz came back.

The outcome is pretty much exactly the same regardless, so why bother stripping him? Sucks that Cruz is out, but it's pretty much what the interim title is for.

Status quo is fine with me. As GSP has just shown, he is still worthy of being called the champ, Condit was the interim champ. Cruz should be afforded the same opportunity.

Nah, they didn't with GSP so it'd be a bit harsh here. It sucks, but I think it's a manageable situation.

If he's good to fight again in August/September, make use of the interim title and have Renan defend it against Michael McDonald. I mean, it'd end up having the exact same outcome as if you stripped Cruz of the title; both of them fighting and the winner fight Cruz after that. If that fight gets set for March/April, it'd be pretty much set up for Cruz returning 4 months later. I mean, you say Barao wants to wait until Cruz comes back, but stripping Cruz of the title and giving it to Barao would have him defending against McDonald anyway, it's not like if he got given the title he'd just sit on the sidelines until Cruz came back.

The outcome is pretty much exactly the same regardless, so why bother stripping him? Sucks that Cruz is out, but it's pretty much what the interim title is for.

/thread.

The difference with the GSP situation is that GSP got injured shortly before he was set to defend the title, then was scheduled to fight again, then got hurt again. In the case of Cruz, we already knew he was going to be out a long time and now we know it will be even longer. I like Cruz a lot but they should strip him until hes healthy again. Then they should give him the option for a warm up fight or to go right back for the belt.

i agree - show must go on!!! man he knows how to pick up an injury the poor man

No. Barao should keep the interim title moving. Cruz' first return fight should be against the interim BW champion.

I gotta say yeah if he's gonna be out for that long. He should get an immediate title fight upon his return though.

On the third fight for the interim title the holder should be promoted too undisputed champ.

Strip Cruz and Barao's next fight determines the one true champ. Best way IMO. Cruz doesn't deserve it anymore, out of action too long.

I think so....I mean its already been a year.

Yeah, interim champions exist for when the champ is temporarily out.

But, at the same time, interim championships aren't supposed to go on forever.
And title stripping does happen for reasons besides losing.

Champs who win, but get popped for juicing, get stripped.

Mir got stripped only 14 months after his cycle accident and was back after 19.5 months.

Cruz is going to be out more than 14 and more than 19.5.

i think the ufc should wait to get an official word on how long cruz is going to be out if he is going to be out until august or september of 2013 then defintely strip him and keep the division moving and allow him to have an imediate title shot when he gets back.

It's a shame to see such an incredible fighter and champion have it come to this, but really what can you do? The show must go on. A legitimate champion must be defined at this point given how long he's going to be out.

I'm sure when ready to come back the UFC will put him at the top of the ladder right back into a title fight.

Barao should be forced to defend his title and when Cruz eventualy comes back the title will be unified

I think people forgt that a major reason it's been so long since Cruz defended his title was because he was a coach on TUF.
Renan has the interm belt, let's see him defend it first.

The purpose of the interim titles is to not strip the champion. Let him defend the interim title until Cruz comes back.

No, let Barao defend the interim title, then whoever is the interim champion fights Cruz to unify the belts

sounds reasonable. the interim belt holder should have to defend his belt. It's not fair to have the #1 and #2 guys out due to 1 injury.

Back