Should the champ get "court advantage"?

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
This is not to bash any fighter.

Just using as an example, take a look at GSP.
Counting his fights with Diaz, it will be 4 straight fights in Canada.

And while I obviously can see the plus side (who will pay most to see GSP than his Countrymen that adore him?), isn't it a tad unfair to his challengers?

I ask this not to pose a bad light onto him, but to use it in order to as these questions.

On the flip side, you have Junior dos Santos, who had issues in his traveling to US, and lost a full day traveling instead of training & concentrating on his fight.

So why is it fair for one champion to defend his belt at home while others have to travel to where the challenger is instead of fighting on his home turf?

And on a third side, what about the people around the world who would like the opportunity to see the champ???

What do you think???

Note: MY personal opinion is that it should be either on the champ's Country, or in neutral territory.
I mean, the champ "earns" the right to fight at his home.
And if UFC wants to show his champ off, then at least do not bring him into the challenger's home. After all, I fail to see why Cain gets to fight at home when he is the challenger...

note2: This is not a thread against Cain. he just happened to be Junior's challenger this time when Junior lost his flight. COuld easily have been Mir or even some other champion (i.e. Silva fighting in US instead of in Brazil against Sonnen)

If Aldo, JDS and Anderson fought 3 times a year each, we would need 9 events in Brazil (assuming they would win). Ticket prices would have to go down or they would have serious trouble filling the arenas.

I think if champions get home advantage half the fights it would be ok.

There are too many Brazilian champs for them to all fight at home since the UFC has the majority of it's fights in America. There is only one Canadian champion and everyone in Canada wants to see him so he always fights here. I know people who don't know what UFC or MMA stand for but you say GSP and they know exactly who you're talking about. It's all about the Benjamens brotha! (Or in Canada the Elizabeths? lol)

If Aldo, JDS and Anderson fought 3 times a year each, we would need 9 events in Brazil (assuming they would win). Ticket prices would have to go down or they would have serious trouble filling the arenas.

You do realize this doesn't happen right? I get the point though & think 1 fight a year at home would be fair.

Is it unfair for Georges to fight outside Canada?

Where exactly is neutral territory?

Did Nick Diaz have to go to Canada for the last 3 fights Georges had? No. He is only going once right? Just like Carlos, Jake and Kos fought in Canada once.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think so. other venues should be able to see champions. anderson shouldn't only fight in brazil in the same way that gsp shouldn't only fight in canada.

You do realize the Brazil cards have almost double the ticket price and have sold out almost every time?

Is it unfair for Georges to fight outside Canada?

Where exactly is neutral territory?

Did Nick Diaz have to go to Canada for the last 3 fights Georges had? No. He is only going once right? Just like Shields and Kos fought in Canada once.

LOL you completely missed the point.
GSP did fight his last 3 fights in Canada (That means, he had home-court advantage).
Silva had to come to US to fight Sonnen (an US fighter). Sonnen fought at home while the champ had to travel to meet him.

And in case your brain is still unavailable, NEutral territorry is what the name implies.
A fighter from US fighting against someone from Brazil would have that fight in UK (or anywhere else BUT US or Brazil).

And since it seems you guys did not understand my position, I noted EITHER the champ fights at his home country OR he fights at neutral territory.

That way, if Silva fights 3 times, it could be once in Brazil (Home-court), Once in US (Against a non-american) and once outside US or Brazil (if he fights against an American).

TS, Matt Hughes had 12 title fights for the UFC, 11 were in the United States and 1 was in London. Was that o.k.?

Baby Jay had 10 title fights for the UFC, 8 were in the United States, 1 was in London and 1 was in Abu Dhabi. Was that o.k.?

I never found a problem with it.

LOL you completely missed the point.
GSP did fight his last 3 fights in Canada (That means, he had home-court advantage).
Silva had to come to US to fight Sonnen (an US fighter). Sonnen fought at home while the champ had to travel to meet him.

And in case your brain is still unavailable, NEutral territorry is what the name implies.
A fighter from US fighting against someone from Brazil would have that fight in UK (or anywhere else BUT US or Brazil).

And since it seems you guys did not understand my position, I noted EITHER the champ fights at his home country OR he fights at neutral territory.

That way, if Silva fights 3 times, it could be once in Brazil (Home-court), Once in US (Against a non-american) and once outside US or Brazil (if he fights against an American).

What exactly is home court advantage? Only two men are fighting in the Octagon. No one else is helping you from getting your ass handed to you when you're in there.

Why in the world wouldn't it be o.k. for a champion to fight in his home country? Never was a problem when Matt Hughes, Baby Jay and other were champ.

I dont think the champions really care. I mean, if you ask JDS where he would like to fight, of course he would say Brazil, and I hope he can do it some times

It only works for GSP at this point since Canada is one of the biggest MMA markets in North America.

I dont think the champions really care. They just want to fight. I mean, if you ask JDS where he would like to fight, of course he would say Brazil, and I hope he can do it some times, but in the end he just want to fight

They make more money fighting in Montreal. Georges is the money fighter, too. Nick doesn't sell shit on his own.

I think fighting in his home turf gives the champion additionnal pressure. It's hard to know if its an advantage or not.

Is TS trying to make out that fighting in your home country/state is some kind of huge advantage in a fight?

They let GSP fight in Canada alot because he makes them huge bank everytime on the gate for the arena.

Likewise with other champions.

Back