Should the champ get "court advantage"?

not only I do realize, I also put it in brackets (because it sounds ridiculous to say home-Octagon advantage).

It's far less ridiculous to say that than home-court advantage as if they're fighting on a basketball court.

now, if you'd use your brain you would see he "responded" by asking what was a "home court" advantage instead of reading what I posted and explained what I meant.

Don't care.

But as that poster, you seem more interested in say something negative (and not really on the topic) instead of adding to the discussion at hand.
Congrats.

The topic and discussion sucks, so what do you want? I'm not here to save your shit thread.

It's far less ridiculous to say that than home-court advantage as if they're fighting on a basketball court.

Don't care.

The topic and discussion sucks, so what do you want? I'm not here to save your shit thread.

apparently you think so. But sadly you are mistaken.
You do not care about the topic, that makes you a troll.
So if you want to hijack the thread and kill it with your stupid comments, go right ahead.

Since you don't add to the conversation, you have nothing worth reading...

but by all means, keep at it... some day you will improve your trolling to the point I'd care.

How much of an advantage is it, really? Sure, the crowd will be cheering you on, but then you'll be fighting in front of a bunch of people you don't want to disappoint by losing (or putting on a lackluster fight), so there will be the extra stress.

How much of an advantage is it, really? Sure, the crowd will be cheering you on, but then you'll be fighting in front of a bunch of people you don't want to disappoint by losing (or putting on a lackluster fight), so there will be the extra stress.

the place in itself is not the point...although fighting with the crowd backing you must be better than when they want you dead...

But everything surrounding the fight matters.

You have to leave your country.
You have to adapt to different climate, food, hotel room (instead of your own), leave family behind, etc.

there's also the logistics. For instance, Junior just lost a full day traveling instead of relaxing & concentrating on the fight at hand.

with the stakes so high, it all matters, and if you don't have to deal with packing, etc , it can really help you.

Most UFC cards are held in USA.
Most UFC fighters are from USA.
guess they get most of the homecourt advantage over anyone not from america.

champs should be able to fight in their home country/state somewhat often

just thinking about a top contender having to go into brazil like Mendes and Okami had to is an intimidating thought. fighting Anderson Silva or Jose Aldo anywhere is scary, having to go into Brazil is pure torture

Silva beat the shit out of Franklin in Cinci while he was champ.

Rich had the home court, and it made no difference.

they fight where they can sell the most tickets and make the most money

I don't believe there is any "home cage advantage", sure it is nice to fight in front of a friendly crowd but come on now, it's a fight

GSP is really the only one who fights the majority of his fights in canada and that is because it is easier to promote. I see nothing wrong with it. The canadian fans don't really annoy me. American fans do (and I'm american) with their stupid "U.S.A." chants. They did it in the fight between KZ and Poirier and then by the end they were cheering for the zombie. It was like watching a reverse Rocky IV lol.

It's unfair for Condit who has to go to Montreal twice in a row to fight a local guy.

I think it's more about ticket sales than any preference for a fighter holding the belt. The UFC knows that any GSP fight in Canada would be sold out immediate just like any Silva fight in Brazil would be sold out. IIRC Silva vs Sonnen 2 originally being scheduled for Brazil until something came up outta nowhere?

this will be GSP's what 4th time fighting in canada for the UFC

he has fought 15 times in the USA for the UFC

get over yourselves and stop hating on GSP please. what your saying looks foolish.

bones has fought twice in canada and 10 times in the USA.

why dont you hate on him at all.

MMA is not like other sports where the turf, field or ice is slightly different depending on the location. An example of this is ice hockey. International rinks are slightly larger than those in North America and if you look at the last four Olympic games:

Canada 2010 - Canada vs USA finals
Italy 2006 - Sweden vs Finland finals
USA 2002 - Canada vs USA finals
Japan 1998 - Czech Republic vs Russia finals

Where the event is held directly correlates with whom the finalists are. European teams perform better on international ice and North American teams perform better on North American ice. In MMA, the octagon is the same regardless where the show is held. While there may be a slight psychological advantage to having the crowd on your side and a preparatory advantage in living closer to the arena the actual benefits inside the cage are minimal to a professional fighter who knows how to deal with that stuff.

Back