Should the champ get "court advantage"?

Anderson lives in the US.

sorry, but no (don't believe all Sonnen said).
he has a house in LA, but he leaves in Brazil (though probably he will move in for a while, while he opens his gym in LA).

GSP is the obvious outlier when it comes to this.

Canada has often times been called the mecca of MMA, and GSP is one of the biggest stars in the sport and is Canadian. It only makes sense to sell his fights in Montreal or Toronto where they will sell a ton of tickets.

I think fans make a bigger deal out of this than the fighters. The opponents do not lose a day of training when traveling, as per the TS comments. Their camp is long complete, the only downside is the travel time. They wouldn't be using that time for any sort of rigorous training, only resting or maybe discussing final strategies. The Condit vs. GSP specials on UFC.com showed Condit using the time to watch more video. He wouldn't have been in the gym sparring if GSP was flying to New Mexico to fight there.

Add to that, I don't think the fighters feel any more or less capable, or at any more of an advantage/disadvantage if they are fighting on "home soil". Once the cage door closes, and the bell rings there's only one thing on their minds. You think they hear the cheers and boos? If they do, you think that's going to help them (t)ko or submit somebody? Again, the fans make a much bigger deal out of it than the fighters. I don't believe in any sort of "home court" advantage in fighting.

While you made fair points, you missed mine.

I never said that the cage in his own country will make a difference.
But Junior did spend a full day trying to get to US instead of concentrating on the last details of his fight, resting, etc.
he will also be in US without his family and friends for the final week; have do deal with the cold; different food, etc.

Not huge disadvantages, mind you. But there are some.

Well supposedly Anderson got more money to fight Chael in Vegas rather than Brazil.

I dunno about that.
In Brazil they were supposed to beat the record by filling out a stadium...

In US they fought at a "normal" Vegas arena...

he probably got some bonus for moving the fight, but IMO it would be more enticing for him to break the attendance record...

So TS how is it home court advantage?

Does the fight start on the ground with GSP in side control?

Does his opponent have one hand tied behind his back?

Or does his opponent fight the first round blindfolded?

Two guys in the octagon, that's all.

I like Anderson's take on this a while back, where he said something like "I am a world champion, not the US champion." And basically said he would like to fight Bisping in the UK, Okami in Japan etc.

Isn't it obvious that GSP is a huge draw in Canada and can help fill huge venues. It's about ticket sales.
Plus most of the PPVs, which is where you are going to see the champions fight, are going to be held in the US and Canada. They have done some overseas but I think they are realizing that it makes them more money if they do free fights overseas and PPVs in North America because North America pays way more for the PPVs than anybody else does, so you have to get PPV cards that North Americans are interested in.

When GSP/Diaz was announced, I actually thought "In Montreal, again??"

I know why they do it, but GSP is arguably the sports' biggest star. Only seems fair that he should fight elsewhere from time to time.

Note: I did say "arguably".

So TS how is it home court advantage?

Does the fight start on the ground with GSP in side control?

Does his opponent have one hand tied behind his back?

Or does his opponent fight the first round blindfolded?

Two guys in the octagon, that's all.

how about you read the post?
Then you'd get an idea of what I meant, and not make an idiot out of yourself asking stupid questions... :icon_twis:redface:

TS, Matt Hughes had 12 title fights for the UFC, 11 were in the United States and 1 was in London. Was that o.k.?

Baby Jay had 10 title fights for the UFC, 8 were in the United States, 1 was in London and 1 was in Abu Dhabi. Was that o.k.?

I never found a problem with it.

lol whoa

They should fight wherever the card will sell the most tickets.

TS, Matt Hughes had 12 title fights for the UFC, 11 were in the United States and 1 was in London. Was that o.k.?

Baby Jay had 10 title fights for the UFC, 8 were in the United States, 1 was in London and 1 was in Abu Dhabi. Was that o.k.?

I never found a problem with it.

I was about to agree with this before I realised your mistake. BJ Penn fought in Newcastle, not London. Now the entire post is invalid! :icon_evil

how about you read the post?
Then you'd get an idea of what I meant, and not make an idiot out of yourself asking stupid questions... :icon_twis:redface:

How about you phrase the saying right?

I answered a question that you asked, tell me what's wrong with that old wise one.

Is it fair GSP gets to have all his fights in Canada? Maybe not, but he's earned that right.

In a few years when we have regional champions it won't matter so much.

agreed , its unfair GSP gets homefield advantage every time..

LOL you completely missed the point.
GSP did fight his last 3 fights in Canada (That means, he had home-court advantage).
Silva had to come to US to fight Sonnen (an US fighter). Sonnen fought at home while the champ had to travel to meet him.

And in case your brain is still unavailable, NEutral territorry is what the name implies.
A fighter from US fighting against someone from Brazil would have that fight in UK (or anywhere else BUT US or Brazil).

And since it seems you guys did not understand my position, I noted EITHER the champ fights at his home country OR he fights at neutral territory.

That way, if Silva fights 3 times, it could be once in Brazil (Home-court), Once in US (Against a non-american) and once outside US or Brazil (if he fights against an American).

I answered a question that you asked, tell me what's wrong with that old wise one.

simple. you did not answer. You asked questions that are answered in my first post.

Is it fair GSP gets to have all his fights in Canada? Maybe not, but he's earned that right.

In a few years when we have regional champions it won't matter so much.

well, i'd agree with you.
But haven't Silva earned it? Aldo? Or even Junior?

He's too busy calling people idiots while he doesn't realize that home-court advantage is for basketball (basketball court) just like it's called home-field advantage in football because they play on a fucking field.

dunno
gsp is the biggest draw and canada has some big stadiums
canada can also host ppv because of proximity to the us
ufc really wants cain to be champ for the mexican market too, everybody knows that

He's too busy calling people idiots while he doesn't realize that home-court advantage is for basketball (basketball court) just like it's called home-field advantage in football because they play on a fucking field.

not only I do realize, I also put it in brackets (because it sounds ridiculous to say home-Octagon advantage).

Besides, I call it as I see. (If someone is an idiot, i will call it so).

now, if you'd use your brain you would see he "responded" by asking what was a "home court" advantage instead of reading what I posted and explained what I meant.

But as that poster, you seem more interested in say something negative (and not really on the topic) instead of adding to the discussion at hand.
Congrats.

Back