• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Shogun retire?

Shogun is 31 years old. Retire??? Seriously???

Should any loosing sports franchise consider folding just because they're having a loosing season? Hell, 5 loosing seasons? As long as they're not hemorrhaging money and all involved still enjoy it, and in fact are making money, the answer is no.

These newb fans, who consider nothing but the rankings and title shots, and respect neither the history of the sport nor the mentality of a professional fucking FIGHTER, are the worst kinds of fans.

By your logic, only 40 people shouldn't be retired; the top 5 ranked in each division!

GTFO

No newbie braw... Those wars will broke his brain and he will not be able to have an normal life after UFC. He took to many shoots on his head over the time......

Biggest shogun nuthugger ever here, whoever said he is disrespected
here has no clue what he's talking about-some of us have made
up ridiculous excuses for his less-than perfect performances,
I'm certain he's fine in the respect department.
As for retire, that's insane. He is 31. I'm sure he's got a few
fights left in him.
I also thought he looked okay, all things considered, and
was impressed by gustaffason. No way he's ready for jones
tho imo

I am no longer going to get excited for a Shogun fight. His cardio will always be terrible.. so w/e

The guy has had a great career. But since his crushing defeat to Jones he just hasn't looked to same, at all.
The guy hasn't looked the same since he left pride and Forest beat him up like 5 years ago.. That's FOREST GRIFFIN we are talking about. The guy also barely squeaked by a 50 year old Mark Colmen for god's sake. The same Mark Coleman that a 50 year old Randy Couture made look like an amateur.

It was also Forest Griffin who beat Rampage, another fighter who never looked as impressive as he did in pride, and then there is Crocop and even the Texas cowboy ( what's his name?) Keith? Heath?
They all looked deadly in Pride and average in the UFC. I love them all but the UFC put things into perspective. All of these guys are old school legends but they never developed what we would call the modern MMA skills.

These guys were big when Frank Scamrock was the hottest thing. Shogun looks the exact same in every fight since he's been in the UFC. He looks tired after one round and swings for the fences. That's not MMA, It's a street fighter. He's old school.. He's way outgunned these days,

Last edited:
Take fun fights for the fans and collect a paycheck for the next few fights.

If his health is good, no. Gus and Jones are fucking huge and talented. Not a good match up when you're seemingly smaller and declining. He'll always have trouble with those guys

more like he hasn't looked the same after those two knee injuries.
If he is serious about a title, he should drop to 185. If he does not want to drop, then he should fight dream matches till he retires. Rampage 2, Lil Nog 2, Hendo 2, Tito (out of retirement), Randy (out of retirement) come to mind.

shogun's aged and he's taken too many beatings. one of the nastiest breaks i've seen was when he broke his arm in the coleman fight. his body's too damaged from all the injuries he sustained throughout his career. this will eventually happen to every fighter where they start to decline once their body has has been through too much.this happens in football too.

A lot of people in this thread should read this:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/10/25/...er-middleweight-drop-anderson-silva-fight-mma

According to Shogun's manager regarding a future move to MW:

"Honestly, I don't think about it. Shogun is a guy who naturally weights over [220lbs]. His legs are heavy, so it's hard for him to lose weight. He can drop to [205lbs] and perform in high level.... I don't see why he'd drop to the middleweight division... It'd be hard on him; I guess he'd suffer a lot."

But apparently according to a bunch of shertards, a guy that has terrible cardio at 205 after a significant cut, should cut 20lbs more to improve his game.

I don't even know why I bother anymore.

A lot of people in this thread should read this:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/10/25/...er-middleweight-drop-anderson-silva-fight-mma

According to Shogun's manager regarding a future move to MW:

But apparently according to a bunch of shertards, a guy that has terrible cardio at 205 after a significant cut, should cut 20lbs more to improve his game.

I don't even know why I bother anymore.

Where does it say anything about his cardio suffering from a weight cut. Like I already told you(with a source) that he doesn't cut a lot of weight. His cardio issues have nothing to with a weight cut.

In fact a drop to MW might good for him, would force him to diet and be in shape, shed the extra fat.

Where does it say anything about his cardio suffering from a weight cut. Like I already told you(with a source) that he doesn't cut a lot of weight. The highest he's cut from was around 213.

"Shogun is a guy who naturally weighs over 220lbs"

-Eduardo Alonso

"He is a big guy. He is a 220lbs guy. He is almost a heavyweight. He

There are like 2 or 3 guys that have surpassed him lol relax. He could still beat everybody but Jones, Gus and Glover.

Gus vs him is still close. Fight was pretty even but once the TDs start coming...

Jones beats him obviously.

Not sure about Glover despite the ducking lol, we'd actually to see it first or see Glover against more top guys more I'm fully sold on him

Rashad would beat Shogun 7/10 though. Davis would have a good shot too.

Shogun's main problems aren't that he's old or lost ability, he just is a striker without great wrestling defense and has inconsistent cardio which can probably be attributed to his not having legs.

He needs to fight another journeyman fighter to gauge exactly where he's at. I say someone like the Vlad-Bader winner.

Where does it say anything about his cardio suffering from a weight cut. Like I already told you(with a source) that he doesn't cut a lot of weight. His cardio issues have nothing to with a weight cut.

In fact a drop to MW might good for him, would force him to diet and be in shape, shed the extra fat.

People think just because Shogun is 'young' he can easily diet down, fix his cardio, etc... it's not that simple people, he practically HAS NO LEGS. It's probably all he can do to train as much as he does with those 50 yo legs of his.

I think so. Look at his last few fights. Brutal beatings from Jones, Gustafson, and Henderson. Why would you want to continue?

That said, what does Shogun do if he's not a fighter? Don't be naive and think that he has zillions in the bank.

Back