Should MMA Guys Train Like Powerlifters?

I'd even say squat would have a greater (though still small) impact on punching power than bench.

The most obvious reason for an MMA fighter to have a good, explosive bench would be for punching, I think. Leg drive, put your back into it even though you're pushing, development of triceps and chest (among other things, but these matter for punching), explosiveness from close to the body to lockout... bench has some carryover to punching. I think.

Bench pressing does not correlate to punching power. Try punching someone sitting down....which is essentially a bench press... and then try standing up and punching someone. Which one do you think is going to hurt more?

Punching power is generated from the ass/legs.

jabbaTheWut.jpg

hahahhahahah :icon_lol:

Bench pressing does not correlate to punching power. Try punching someone sitting down....which is essentially a bench press... and then try standing up and punching someone. Which one do you think is going to hurt more?

the push press was recommended to me for increasing punching power.

strength plays a smaller part compared to the other factors in punching power, so improving strength will improve punching power but on the grand scheme of things it makes up just a fraction of punching power.

i think the point being made is, take 2 guys of equal skill, with one who has higher strength levels (or rate of force development whatever), he will probably punch harder

Obviously I can only speak for myself but I recently returned to Thai after a two week lay off in which the only training I did was my version of Starting Strength, which includes Benching twice a week with both Barbells and Dumbbells, Incline Bench with a Barbell and Close Grip Bench. During this two week period I did'nt throw a single punch.

My regular training partner commented that my punches were "heavy" and, indeed, there was a small but definate increase in power. Inspite of no skill training for over two weeks.

Obviously, I'm back to regular training at the Academy as well as the Gym. But lifting heavy certainly did increase my striking power.

i think the point being made is, take 2 guys of equal skill, with one who has higher strength levels (or rate of force development whatever), he will probably punch harder

This is silly. The question is should a fighter take time off from his skill training to focus on his strength through weights. Two fighters won't be of equal skill. The stronger one is usually the less skilled. In fact, a bigger person might beat a stronger one and a more skilled one. That's why there is weight classes.

This is silly. The question is should a fighter take time off from his skill training to focus on his strength through weights. Two fighters won't be of equal skill. The stronger one is usually the less skilled. In fact, a bigger person might beat a stronger one and a more skilled one. That's why there is weight classes.

It's also why Brock Lesnar is the UFC Heavyweight Champ!:icon_chee

Good question and there probably isnt a right answer but my feeling is no they shouldnt. Powerlifting will make you a great bench presser, deadlifter and squatter. I think an MMA fighter can use more appropriate training methods than powerlifting.

Silly question.

MMA isn't a sport dominated by strength alone.

But if you're fucking weak powerlifting will fix that.

Back