Should Maia get the title shot with a win tonight?

I fucking love it. I'm not really that much of a Jon Fitch detractor as most of this board is, but seeing him get grapplefucked like that and throwing his hand up in the air asking the ref to help him out was the most insanely gratifying visual in MMA all year.

Dude, I completely agree! Maia thoroughly dominated him and I loved every second of it. As with you, I don't despise Fitch like the board does, but I did like seeing him get smoked at his own game.

Maia had this weird dream of being an elite striker and got away from what he was actually elite at. I am a big fan of his and glad to see him get back to his roots.

Imho he should beat one of Rory , Condit or Hendricks to get it BUT he's still deserving so i won't complain if he does get the next shot

Maia would have to win impressively. He won't get the shot if he wins in a boring split decision or something like that.

yes, specially because GSP cleaned out the division

He probably should, but GSP vs. Maia sounds like a total snoozer.

Imho he should beat one of Rory , Condit or Hendricks to get it BUT he's still deserving so i won't complain if he does get the next shot

Rory should not be allowed to fight any viable WW-title contenders unless he himself makes it clear that he intends to fight for the title if he wins. What's the point in letting him knock off top guys with no upside potential of a title fight for him?

if he gives an impressive performance then yes

If he could finish Shields, he definitely should get the shot

Again, why? Maia fights tonight and GSP fights just in a few weeks, after that he needs an opponent. Getting an opponent for the champion far supersedes any unfounded ideas of "deserving" title shots which never applied to real life anyway.

Main needs to finish Shields....then beat Rory or Condit to be a REAL threat to GSP's title imo

Without questions.

Its clear 170 Maia has way more power over his opponents than at 185, and he was getting lots of backlash playing his K1 game. Now how he's seeing grapplers get cut if they don't win and his striking should all be set ups for a takedown anyway. If He subs shields or dominates there's no question he should get a shot. Nothing was more frustrating than watching maia K1 in the octagon. Maia just doesn't hold you there either, he tries to end blood circulation.

If he does fight GSP, I hope he subs him.

I hope Maia wins and gets the shot, it would be an interesting fight against GSP (if he beats Hendricks)

I don't think there has been any real danger to dethrone GSP for quite some time. Maia, as much as I like him, would likely get jabbed into oblivion. I'm not always for "move up a class" but GSP is within that territory as he needs to really be tested.

the next three fights will determin the Next WW challenger

Maia vs Shields (if Maia wins)

Rory vs Lawler (if Rory wins)

Brown vs Condit (if Brown wins)

who ever is most impressive will get the next shot

then prob the other winners will face off eachother, though it could all go out the window if Shields, Lawler and Carlos win

Depends on how he wins. If it's a dominant performance sure, if not then I guess he should face Rory, or winner of Brown/Condit.

Considering how hilariously unimpressive GSP was against Shields I think Maia deserves the shot with a victory. Impressive or not.

Why not. GSP will make him suffer with his jab though.

Back