Should Maia get the title shot with a win tonight?

Yes, he has earned it.

Condit/Brown winner vs Rory/Lawler winner for the title shot afterwards.

I was going to say "No, make a #1 contenders fight", then I did a quick glance and realized there really is no other sensible match-up for GSP then this, so I say yes.

I disagree, he should face one more, maybe Kampmann, Condit or Ellenberger.

I disagree, he should face one more, maybe Kampmann, Condit or Ellenberger.

I thought so too, then I looked at the current standings and can't find a reason why he should have to fight another fight when it's clear he's (barring a loss tonight) the only viable match-up for GSP after he fights Hendricks. Who else should fight GSP?

Yes, he has earned it.

Condit/Brown winner vs Rory/Lawler winner for the title shot afterwards.

Absolutely agree with that. However, if Maia wins but not in good fashion, and Brown beats Condit in impressive fashion (via TKO). Give the shot to Brown, while Maia should then face Rory/Lawler next in a Number One Contender Match. Would be happy with both scenarios.

Let's see how he looks tonight. I do agree with everyone in here, I would love to see that fight. I think being a big WW, his BJJ is on another level and poses a very interesting match up for GSP, assuming he doesn't decide to fight a kickboxing match with him. I would love to see how GSP reacts when on the defensive.

Maia would probably get jabbed to death against GSP but I'd love to see a ground battle. He wouldn't be Diaz on the ground, that's for sure.

I want to see how easily he takes Shields down. If he does to shields what he's done to everyone else there is a strong possibility he can take GSP down like that.

Also yes he deserves the title shot with a win here.

If Maia does win n gets a shot,i see his face getting busted up worse then Kos did....Gsp will keep it standing n jab til the death.

Maia should get winner of Rory/Lawler if he wins or Condit/Brown winner

Maia should get winner of Rory/Lawler if he wins or Condit/Brown winner

Again, why? Maia fights tonight and GSP fights just in a few weeks, after that he needs an opponent. Getting an opponent for the champion far supersedes any unfounded ideas of "deserving" title shots which never applied to real life anyway.

If Maia does win n gets a shot,i see his face getting busted up worse then Kos did....Gsp will keep it standing n jab til the death.

I think this is Maia's fate if he decides that he wants a kickboxing match with GSP. But if he goes beast mode BJJ like he did to Fitch, I think the fight becomes VERY interesting. Just a hunch, it's also entirely possible GSP puts Maia on his back. Either way, I'd love to see it.

I think this is Maia's fate if he decides that he wants a kickboxing match with GSP. But if he goes beast mode BJJ like he did to Fitch, I think the fight becomes VERY interesting. Just a hunch, it's also entirely possible GSP puts Maia on his back. Either way, I'd love to see it.

K-1 Maia died when he went to WW. He doesn't fuck around anymore when he realized he can ragdoll this entire division.

Agreed......and I like it.

I fucking love it. I'm not really that much of a Jon Fitch detractor as most of this board is, but seeing him get grapplefucked like that and throwing his hand up in the air asking the ref to help him out was the most insanely gratifying visual in MMA all year.

Title says it all. Maia has been killing everybody since the drop, and there isn't a clear cut contender behind Hendricks. Condit and Brown don't fight until after GSP and Ellenbergers hype went out the window. If Maia dominates Shields tonight, do you think he should be next in line?

If it is a dominant/convincing win then I think he's earned a shot. Only other guy I think deserves it would be Matt Brown if he takes out Condit.

against shields? lol no.

although I'd love to see the fight, he needs another win one over a dangerous guy.

He may be the most deserving but that doesn't mean he deserves it.

I fucking love it. I'm not really that much of a Jon Fitch detractor as most of this board is, but seeing him get grapplefucked like that and throwing his hand up in the air asking the ref to help him out was the most insanely gratifying visual in MMA all year.

It was pretty great to see Fitch getting dominated at his own game then begging the ref to bail him out

Back