Should i join the Canadian army ?

im in ontario, someone I know joined the navy, shes already done training and said they pay you lots, they feed you and shit too so you end up saving lots of money and lol she said in the navy your less likely to get killed, all sounds good to me considering my options

You gotta pay for food during your regular time. It is deducted directly off your pay. The pay is decent, but when you look at the hours you work, its about minimum wage, if that. The navy is less likely to be killed because right now we are just fighting wars in the middle east where they can only target the ground forces. So yes, right now it is definitely much safer.

@OP: Yes, you can apply for Army, Navy or Air Force right away. Everyone goes to the same Basic Training in Quebec, then after like 3 months there, you on to your other training for whatever career you want/are offered.

View the basic career choices here:
http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Oh yeah, try the RCMP, they are hiring. Go to their website, you have nothing to lose. Good job, future, pay, etc.

Don't they have any sort of education and experience requirements?

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up myself. Shocking.

To apply for a job as a Regular Member of the RCMP, you must meet the following basic requirements:

What? You join the Army or the Navy. They are two different branches. Or, you join the Air Force. I'm not sure if the Canadian Coast Guard is a part of the Armed Forces, as it is in the U.S.

Nope, Canadian Coast Guard is civilian, under the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Only join the army at the officer level (Start as second Leftenant). If you go in as a private it will suck. Generally people with no education go in as a grunt. Same level of people such as construction workers. You can go as an officer with much higher pay. Plus they pay for your education. Go that route if you can.

It is important to understand you can't just walk in and ask to be an officer. The school is very difficult, and requires a ton of discipline. You also need to be able to learn to speak French to become an officer in the Canadian Forces. Not only that, but you need to actually want to be an officer. There is nothing wrong with starting as a private in the forces. You can work your way up very quickly to a respectable position. Most people would rather follow orders in the military than be responsible for giving them. Lives depend on your decisions. Most people aren't ready for that.

To apply for a job as a Regular Member of the RCMP, you must meet the following basic requirements:

Have you considered becoming CIA instead? We have expertise in that.

With today's state of affairs, I'd recommend the Navy or the Air Force over the Army. That is, unless you want to serve as a bullet catcher. I'd prefer not to do that. But, 4 or 6 years in the military might do you good. If you decide against the Army, you might actually learn a trade or skill that will be useful outside of the military.

Canadian army has finished is deployment to Afghanistan and I served 3 years as a bullet catcher and it was awesome. But yes do five years and get a trade, the military will teach you lots of thing that you mite not learn in the civil world.

Stronger chance of freezing your nuts off in the territories, northern alberta/quebec than going to the middle east....

Have you considered becoming CIA instead? We have expertise in that.

Canadians citizens can't apply to the CIA. They could be recruited as assets/spys, but they can't be employees of the CIA. (Ignoring dual citizenship, as even with dual citizenship, you still have to do a lot as a Canadian to even have a slight chance of having the CIA look at your application. You also would need a University degree.)

Canadian army has finished is deployment to Afghanistan and I served 3 years as a bullet catcher and it was awesome. But yes do five years and get a trade, the military will teach you lots of thing that you mite not learn in the civil world.

I doubt it is very awesome for people who actually do catch bullets though. And just because the CF has stopped deploying new people to Afghanistan doesn't mean anything. You have to be prepared to be shipped anywhere, any time. Also, the civil world can teach you lots of things you might not learn in the military too. It goes both ways. There is a lot of things which the military teaches you, which are irrelevant to the civilian world.

I am definitely pro military, but let's not get carried away here. It is still the military.

I'm in the American army. I like it. I joined as a Private First Class, and I enjoyed my time while I was enlisted. I am a Captain now. Both sides are really enjoyable, but in very different ways. I get job satisfaction from both. My paycheck is definitely much better now as an Officer. I recommend the military to anyone who wants to push themselves to be better than who they think they can be as a civilian. The absolute best soldiers are the ones who demand excellence from themselves, but perhaps haven't had the best opportunities in the civilian world.

My question is, can i choose to go into Navy right after i join ? or do you have to start off first as a army ?

You get to pick that. You can also specify your preferences for your particular occupation (i.e. Pick Army, then choose Signal Operator, Infantry, Cook). You'll do a joint Basic Military Qualification course in Quebec, then be split off to your particular branch for more indepth training (Army guys will get more infantry-esque training, Navy guys will learn how to mop decks and deal with sea sickness and Air Force guys will learn beach volley ball), then it's off to your particular occupation for the last bit of training.

Now, the catch, there's no guarantee they'll place you in one of your preferred occupations. Your preferred occupations may be full up, but they're short staffed in another occupation (maybe they need more combat engineers, or quartermasters, or whatever), and you qualify.

I'm 28 and I've been debating this for over a decade, myself (was debating in Grade 12 whether to sign up or go to college. Went to college, should've signed up). Even had the forms filled out and nearly ready to take in, but decided against it. Still think it might be the thing for me, but at the moment I'm kind of SOL.

You need, amongst other things, five quality references that have known you for at least 5 years. I'm not sure who I could use for that.

Also, the civil world can teach you lots of things you might not learn in the military too. It goes both ways. There is a lot of things which the military teaches you, which are irrelevant to the civilian world.

And colleges will teach you different things than technical schools. So what?

And colleges will teach you different things than technical schools. So what?

Maybe you should go somewhere that teaches you reading comprehension. The person I quoted said that you can learn things in the military, than you might not learn in the civilian world, as if that was a necessarily a pro, when it can just as easily be a con.

Just as with your example. If I need a degree from a college, and I go to a technical school instead, it doesn't matter that it taught me different things. That is a NEGATIVE thing, not a positive. But the person I quoted stated it in such a way, that it should be taken as an absolute positive, as if the military will teach you everything the civilian world will + stuff you can only learn in the military.

I wanted to clarify for people, there is a ton of stuff you will not learn in military life, that you may need to know to be fully functional in the civilian world, depending on your career mostly.

My reading comprehension is fine. I was just pointing out that what you said is just as valid for any educational path, civilian or military. None of them will provide the exact same training or overall experience as the other.

What one may lack from the military training (a debatable point), they may make up in other areas that aren't as prevalent amongst civilians, or they may be able to fast-track their way through college (earn credits based on past experience and training), only having to take the courses in areas that the military training may have been lacking.

That's all that has been said.

Is it a good idea to join the army in canada ?

I'm 24, dropped out of college and have no careera atm.

Do you get deployed over seas to middle east ?

If not join the army, what career should i go towards ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

you can do a couple of things
try to get into military college and get a degree and serve as an officer

either way... you "could" get service to somewhere else depending on what is going
on in the world. You also don't join the "army" in canada, you join the armed forces
and you may get some say in whether you get into the air force, land force or navy.

How you do with authority... there will almost always be some ahead of you who will
think differently they then you and you dont get a choice in whether you listen to them.

Seems like a good idea if you think you are up for it. It will bring structure to your life and offer various paths you can choose to go down in the future.

Back