Should I add GI BJJ to my schedule?

Yeah I'm just gonna use the gi grips when training gi.

I train 4 days a week right now. And it probably will stay that way, I will get to open mat if I can (probably not) and I can't make it Fridays.

Where are you training at now?

I train with Gracie Barra (no specific school due to me being all over the place, so GB is perfect in that sense) and with some friends at CSW sometimes (informal training).

]In all honesty theres no way almost doubling your mat time will result in you being worse,sure you may develop a couple of bad habits in the gi but they can fixed and the rewards will far out weigh the negatives all that extra training will really tighten up your game.

Again i'll reference my own training all the BJJ made too willing to fight off my back and i ended up losing a fight via pin,i soon fixed that and regardless Bjj training had so vastly inproved my ground game and enabled me to win fights by
Submission that the trade off was worth it.

Yes train gi. There are a ton of high level black belts who say to training in the gi just makes your overall game better. There are only a few black belts who promote only training no gi, we all know who. I have rarely trained no gi like 1 time/month maybe, but I feel I can drop in anytime and hold my own there, but if a no gi guy comes to gi he is like a fish out of water.

I cant speak for all schools, but in my personal experience. The group of people who train no gi use less technique and more physical strength, and just generally the overall quality of the students is higher in gi. It also slows down the game and makes you think more. Going fast doesnt make you better, it just makes it more likely for injury.

Also in no gi it is really irritating for gi players, because people dont do basic moves sometimes. I have run into several people who dont break guard correctly in no gi, or who skip steps in their moves.

I feel in no gi people tend to get while and flail a bit more and i always end up taking a knee to the face or a hand to the head. That NEVER happens in no gi, though I do get a lot of gi burns. Injury/time ratio is much higher in no gi for me. And fastest way to slow down progress is injury.

Did my first gi class today. We worked armbars from the guard and a v lock variation. I decided to just do as told and stick to the gi grips. It is a lot more technical than no gi, much more attention to detail. We did not roll, only technique and drilling, so I can't speak to that yet. It felt a lot different just drilling the moves, not sure if I like it yet or not. Overall, I still haven't made a final decision on how I feel about it but I also think ill need more than one class to find out.

Back