Should I add GI BJJ to my schedule?

If your grappling for MMA and nogi grappling, just train nogi. Its not necessary to train gi unless you want to achieve belt rankings or compete in gi tournaments. You know what you want to focus on and just do that.

I love training in the gi, for me it serves two training purposes, 1) I can compete in gi tournaments, and 2) in a street fight I know how to use people's clothing against them.

That being said, I'm slowly adding nogi training to my learning because I want to know nogi concept as well. I want to learn both styles of grappling.

I understand, but friction/traction is only a small part of training in the gi... the grips are much more important, and way harder to deal with than a little extra material sliding against other material. For example, it can be a little harder to get your arm free if your opponent has an armbar locked on, but your bigger problem is going to be the grip they have on your collar, leg or sleeve that keeps you from escaping.

And I realize that I am probably in the minority here, but I also don't understand how training in the gi makes your no-gi better. There are a lot of people I respect very much who say it, but nobody has ever been able to explain it to me in a way that makes me think that specific gi training is worth doing over more no-gi training.

I'm certainly open to having my mind changed. Like I said, I love the gi and I'd love for all of my training partners to put their gis on and roll with me. And please don't get the idea that I'm discouraging you from training in the gi. It's awesome for its own sake.

Yeah, if I could they offered more NoGi classes I would take them, but I'm already taking all the NoGi classes. Also, I am skeptical like you, I'm about 50/50 on the the gi helping or not helping/making worse.

Yeah, if I could they offered more NoGi classes I would take them, but I'm already taking all the NoGi classes. Also, I am skeptical like you, I'm about 50/50 on the the gi helping or not helping/making worse.

You should be 50/50 seeing as you've never rolled in the gi before lol. For me i've noticed it's helped my defense a lot.

If your grappling for MMA and nogi grappling, just train nogi. Its not necessary to train gi unless you want to achieve belt rankings or compete in gi tournaments. You know what you want to focus on and just do that.

I love training in the gi, for me it serves two training purposes, 1) I can compete in gi tournaments, and 2) in a street fight I know how to use people's clothing against them.

That being said, I'm slowly adding nogi training to my learning because I want to know nogi concept as well. I want to learn both styles of grappling.

Yeah. For me I have no desire to compete in a gi, and in a street fight I would probably not even grapple unless necessary, I would prefer to strike.

You should be 50/50 seeing as you've never rolled in the gi before lol. For me i've noticed it's helped my defense a lot.

Yeah. I've read it helps your defense as you must be very technical in your escapes.

Right now I'm doing 4 hours of grappling a week. I can possibly pick up the morning NoGi class which will make it 5 hours a week. Seems a little low. If I do the gi it will be 8 hours a week. Hmm. Decisions decisions.

This is combined with 4 hours of striking a week.

You don't need to use the grips when you're rolling. But if a grip is required for the proper execution of a technique that is being drilled as a part of instruction, don't be the clown who refuses to take grips cuz yer only there to train teh UFC.

This is in consideration to training partners and yourself who might need you to have a specific grip for a technique to work properly, as well as just avoiding looking like an asshat by talking about training nogi only while you sit in front of them in a gi.

Maybe I should just train Gi as it should be trained, and hope it translates over well?

Ordinarily, I'm pretty outspoken about how gi training is pretty worthless for no gi competition and MMA. However, gi training offers contrast, which can be a valuable learning tool over long periods of time.

More grappling is more grappling and can only serve to make you a better grappler ,if you could only make 4 classes a week and were debating whether to drop some nogi classes to train gi,it would be silly to do so when nogi grappling is the aim.

But i think it would be just as silly to choose no grappling over gi grappling when you have the oportunity to do it.

My main focus is judo but my philosiphy is to get in as much grappling as i can.I choose judo before any thing else and make sure i get in s+c,but any time im free and have the oportunity to train BJJ/nogi/wrestling i will.

Just make sure you eat well and sleep enough so ss to avoid overtraining.

Ordinarily, I'm pretty outspoken about how gi training is pretty worthless for no gi competition and MMA. However, gi training offers contrast, which can be a valuable learning tool over long periods of time.

Hmmm. I guess that makes sense. I just wouldn't want to inadvertently begin to drift too far into that contrast. If that makes any sense. Lol.

More grappling is more grappling and can only serve to make you a better grappler

That also sounds very true. But like above, I guess in just a bit afraid that the GI training will change my NoGi game for the worse. I guess I will see.

Also right now my schedule has been mon-thurs 1 hour NoGi and 1 hour striking per night. So only 4 hors of grappling a week. However, I'm actually thinking of entering my first grappling competition in April and considering altering my schedule for now to this...

Mon- Gi 5:00-6:30 NoGi 6:30-7:30 = 2.5 hrs
Tues- NoGi 6:30-8:30 = 2 hrs
Weds- Gi 5:00-6:30 NoGi 6:30-8:00 = 3 hrs
Thurs- NoGi 6:30-8:30 = 2 hrs
Sat (If I can make it)- Open Mat (rolling) 12:30-2:30 = 2 hrs
Weekly- 11.5 hrs of grappling

Just make sure you eat well and sleep enough so ss to avoid overtraining.

This is also going to be an issue. I sleep well 8-10 hrs a night. However, I am cutting weight right now. I'm only 2 weeks in but down to 200 from 208. Goal weight is 155 by April 21st, which means a loss of 3.5lbs per week, so a pretty good deficit.

it won't change your nogi game for the worst, only make it better, being good at nogi is a joke compared to gi, the technical skills you need to develop for gi will make nogi much easier

in one word: yes

id say probably 70% of SUCCESSFUL pro mma fighters train in the gi(wether it be bjj, judo, sambo) at least 1 day a week. itll tighten everything up, improve your grip, and bring to light little details in applicable techniques.

Absolutly, more mat tme is more mat time.

Plus Roger Gracie was saying how training with the gi makes you more rechnical, it takes away the margin of error that comes along with nogi being all sweaty and not having the grips.

This is also going to be an issue. I sleep well 8-10 hrs a night. However, I am cutting weight right now. I'm only 2 weeks in but down to 200 from 208. Goal weight is 155 by April 21st, which means a loss of 3.5lbs per week, so a pretty good deficit.

That's a shit load of weight to lose in such a short amount of time. How tall are you?

To the above, I am going to add it to my schedule and try it out for a while. Thanks.

That's a shit load of weight to lose in such a short amount of time. How tall are you?

I'm 5'8". Started at 208 ~18-20% body fat.

First off, I love NoGi and plan to compete NoGi and I'm also training BJJ for MMA purposes but will also enter grappling comps most likely, however have no plans or desires to compete in a gi.

With that being said, right now I train Monday-Thursday for 2 hours a day (1 hr striking, 1 hr NoGi grappling) and was either going to add the 2 gi BJJ classes which would be an extra 1hr 30mins on mon and weds before the other classes or go on Fridays for 2 hours (1 hr striking, 1 hr NoGi grappling).

Also I plan on lifting 2 times a week, if I pick option 1 I will lift on Friday and Sunday with Saturdays off, if I pick option 2 I will lift two days of the week and have weekends off.

I know there is a does gi help for NoGi debate with valid points for both sides, but I am a wrestler type who like to move fast hard and attack constantly and I fear training gi will teach me to be slower.

Thanks guys.

I believe someone goes to CSW.

Yeah, I posted in your CSW thread remember.

Forgot about you, Did you do the gi bjj classes with Danny?

I remember you too, and yes I did. He won't get mad at you for not using gi grips, he's much more chill than that. I'm sure he'd advise it based on the technique he teaches though. Do you really train 5 times a week or is that ideal? If you really do that much, you're going to be good in no time (roughly speaking).

I remember you too, and yes I did. He won't get mad at you for not using gi grips, he's much more chill than that. I'm sure he'd advise it based on the technique he teaches though. Do you really train 5 times a week or is that ideal? If you really do that much, you're going to be good in no time (roughly speaking).

Yeah I'm just gonna use the gi grips when training gi.

I train 4 days a week right now. And it probably will stay that way, I will get to open mat if I can (probably not) and I can't make it Fridays.

Where are you training at now?

Back