Should fighters be punished for using recreational drugs?

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Should fighters be punished for using recreational drugs? And if so, should there be a distinction between in- and out-of-competition usage? And should marijuana usage be exempt?

Your thoughts?

If Nick Diaz can get 9mo suspension for weed of course, but it won't happened because it's not on the list o banned substances for MMA

Don't be in a "JOB" and yes, it is a fucking JOB -- where you can't meet the requirements and obligations.

Um derr? Period.

It doesn't bother me at all, but as long as the drugs are illegal, leagues will have to some rules on this to be seen as legit.

In-competition is actually just one day...fight day.

Rest of the camp is officially out-of-competition. So that in and out is total BS.

Yeah he should be punished because he broke UFC's Code of Conduct but he is a cash cow now so its all good.

In-competition is actually just one day...fight day.

Rest of the camp is officially out-of-competition. So that in and out is total BS.

Yeah he should be punished because he broke UFC's Code of Conduct but he is a cash cow now so its all good.

I didn't know recreational drug use is against the UFC's CoC. Tbh I think that's BS/

Should fighters be punished for using recreational drugs? And if so, should there be a distinction between in- and out-of-competition usage? And should marijuana usage be exempt?

Your thoughts?

No. Crime is crime and the only answer is maximum punishment, zero tolerance.

I don't think so. As long as it's not during the fight.

No. Crime is crime and the only answer is maximum punishment, zero tolerance.

1. Zero tolerance is a very stupid policy when it comes to almost anything.

2. Crime is crime avoids the very relevant question whether a certain crime should be a crime.

I do not really care about Jones using cocaine either way. I think it makes the UFC look bad, particularly when they have been hard on weed smokers in the past. For that they should be skewered by teh media.

But I really think they should have been easier on Pat Healy (as an example) rather than that they should throw the book at Jones.

I do not really care about Jones using cocaine either way. I think it makes the UFC look bad, particularly when they have been hard on weed smokers in the past. For that they should be skewered by teh media.

But I really think they should have been easier on Pat Healy (as an example) rather than that they should throw the book at Jones.

You do realize the drug test was out of competition though, right?

In that sense, it's not comparable to people who got popped for marijuana post fight (regardless of whether it should be legal or not)

Tobacco kills more people than all the illegal drugs combined.

Of course I don't give a fuck if someone took an illegal drug and i don't think they should be punished. Legality of these drugs have little to do with health concerns and a lot to do with racism, special interest groups making money and vote grabbing.

Your thoughts?
I guess you could argue that the UFC shouldn't employ criminals and last time I checked cocaine is an illegal drug.

Yea if they are illegal ... No if they are not ... Like the rest of society

You do realize the drug test was out of competition though, right?

In that sense, it's not comparable to people who got popped for marijuana post fight (regardless of whether it should be legal or not)

Er, I was under the impression, admittedly from reading Sherdog comments, that testing positive for marijuana is no indication that they were using it recently. Therefore I question whether the drugs were used in competition. Given the varying metabolism rates of the drugs, Healy could have been popped post fight for a joint he smoked a month prior, roughly uqual tot he amount of time prior to his fight that Jones indulged in cocaine.

I find the entire set of recreational drug rules quite stupid,but since we have them, the timing of the test means less to me than the timing of when they supposedly used the drugs. I see little difference between being busted for marijuana metabolites just after a fight and being busted for cocaine a month before, except that one is a much less powerful and addictive drug than the other.

Furthermore, I think this kind of hair splitting will play poorly with the public. They are still going to ask why doing cocaine is OK for a UFC champ while smoking marijuana is not.

The UFC should either fine Jones and give him a short suspension, or they should liberalize their entire set of drug policies, which is what I would prefer.

If you sign a contract to do a job, and in that contract it specifies you'll remain free from certain substances. And you piss hit for a banned substance, then yes, you should be punished.

Back