Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

• Total voters
No it's way easier to defend a takedown than get one. In wrestling you don't score any points for defending takedowns lmao.

No. Watch mike swick vs josh burkman.

Burkman spent the fight trying to take swick down, and swick won a UD.
Have you seen the Michael Johnson vs Beneil Dariush fight? Complete opposite. Dariush tried to take him down the whole fight (didn't) he thought he lost himself but won the split decision.

Thankfully, the way judges score fights will change in 2017. Takedowns will not matter as much unless you do something with them.

Maybe half as much? If that even makes sense. Two TDD could be equal to a take down.

Not as much but it has to be considered towards controlling where the fight takes place. If fighter A attempts 10 take downs and fighter B defends 10 in a fight where nothing else happens, A wins I think.

I also hope to never see that fight, for the record.

Should a fighter get points for blocking a punch? For defending a sub? If you defend a take down you should use that opportunity to get some offense off. If you get put on the defensive the entire fight you shouldn't win. However take down attempts that fail and wall n stalling should be scored very lowly. So if guy spends the entire fight defending take downs but lands a few more strikes he should win, if he shut down his opponents offense and had some off his own, even if it's only a little bit.

Offense is the only action that needs to be rewarded with points. Successful defense is a reward in and of itself.

Only if the takedown is one where the guy pops right back up, if you actually get him down and control him it is worth more than defending a shot
I think the scoring should be based more so on damage. It's not a wrestling match. Score it on who is winning the "fight"

Shouldn't award points for defensive manoeuvres in my view.

should a dodged or blocked punch or kick score points? an avoided or escaped submission? this is a silly question.

the person attempting the takedown is attacking his opponent....

if you blocked every punch and threw none, who wins?

It's a tough one to call. I think judges need to have some sort of MMA background in all honestly as half of them have no clue what they're judging. I mean I have trained and fought, I could judge MMA but have me judge a dance competition for ballet, scores are gonna be awful haha.

1. Takedowns with 10 seconds to go should count for NOTHING. Its essentially a jab. You have no time to finish the fight or do anything and are doing purposely to "score points", it isn't offence.

2. Takedowns in which the guy touches the floor for five seconds and pops right back up to control on the feet, should also mean very little.

3. On the flipside, defending 40 takedowns but doing nothing in response in fear of a completed takedown isn't winning either.

Those three smallprints would help these clueless judges. The problem really isn't the rules, it's the inability of the judges to use common sense when interpreting them

Defense isn't scored. What needs to change is judges recognizing differences in takedowns and seeing what a fighter actually does with a takedown. That's what's important.

According to Big Jon in the new judging criteria takedowns won't even score points, it's what you do with it.
As it should be

Should defended punches & kicks count on the scorecards as much as punches & kicks?.....

You are comparing apples and oranges.
Never brought up strikes, we are talking about grappling.

Its frustrating to watch some fights where a fighter defends 3-4 takedowns, then the round gets stolen when the other fighter gets a takedown towards the end of a round.

The judges have been trained over the years to reward offensive grappling more then defensive grappling. Perhaps they consider offensive grappling as octagon control?

I feel that when a fighter initiates a takedown and the other fighter fends off that takedown successfully, then the defending fighter won the grappling exchange.

It would be nice to see all the talk about evolving the ufc rules we have been for years actually happen.

I'd like to see everyone elses thoughts, and give the poll a vote as well.
Should avoiding a huge punch count as much as landing one?

Big John recently made it clear that you're awarded for offense, not defense.

Takedowns that do not lead to any offense should not count towards anything. Especially since there are many fighters whose style prefers being on the ground, even on the back.

Getting a takedown and doing nothing with it is the same as both fighters standing and neither landing punches.

Just reward the net result of the exchange. If a fighter wants it on the ground but doesn't get it there, they failed - no reward. A takedown (unless it's damaging in itself) is just a means to an end, like good footwork or getting the plumb clinch or something. Unless you actually USE it to damage or theaten, it cannot be rewarded that much. If the fighter is controlled on the ground or especially if there is control enough to keep the fighter there til the end if the round that is more significant imo. Conversely if a fighter gets back up quickly then the fighter who wanted it on the ground should be considered having the fight go against them (hence them wanting to fight on the ground). More should be read into the initiator of the takedown and what that means. You attempt a takedown because you want the fight on the ground more than you do on the feet, so if you fail in that (the opponent forcing you to stand), it should count

Back