Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

• Total voters

HAWTRIDDUM

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its frustrating to watch some fights where a fighter defends 3-4 takedowns, then the round gets stolen when the other fighter gets a takedown towards the end of a round.

The judges have been trained over the years to reward offensive grappling more then defensive grappling. Perhaps they consider offensive grappling as octagon control?

I feel that when a fighter initiates a takedown and the other fighter fends off that takedown successfully, then the defending fighter won the grappling exchange.

It would be nice to see all the talk about evolving the ufc rules we have been for years actually happen.

I'd like to see everyone elses thoughts, and give the poll a vote as well.

Only if the takedown is one where the guy pops right back up, if you actually get him down and control him it is worth more than defending a shot

Maybe not as much but they should be considered in it's own right. They'd always just say not being taken down is it's own reward and that's why it isn't scored.

But at the same time it should be less because guys will do half assed takedowns sometimes to set up their punches.

See your concern but blocking a punch is not the same as landing a punch. Does suck when a guy stuffs lots of takedowns but they need to take control of the action and get off defense.

Judges always put too much stock into a takedown and only really matter if the fight passes guard or lands ground and pound

No. Watch mike swick vs josh burkman.

Burkman spent the fight trying to take swick down, and swick won a UD.

Yes. Initially you would think the takedown attempt should be recognized as aggression and rewarded as such. But they're not always offensive. Many takedowns are initiated as part of a defense to get away from striking.

So yes, takedown defense should count as much as a takedown.

Only if Conor defends them, in which case he should be awarded a 10-8 round.

No, offensive tactics always trump defensive.

Aldo defended 12 of 12 of Frankie Edgar's TDs. It was impressive and won him points for sure.

Maybe something like two succesfully defended takedowns equal one takedown. Then it becomes an issue of defining an an attempt.

Weren't the rules mostly created by Jeff Blatnick? I'm assuming that because he was a wrestler the rules tend to favor wrestling a bit. Probably need a bit of an upgrade.

Depends on the fighters nationality

NEXT!

To be honest, I get confused sometimes what the scoring criteria really is due to the inconsistent judging. But for me, I don't know if I would give points for a takedown defense, otherwise you would kind of have to give points for things like dodging punches and checking kicks. I agree, you shouldn't give the fighter attempting the takedown more credit, but I would put more value on the guy being more aggressive if the grappling is being nullified. Granted, certain exchanges where the defending fighter ends up in an advantages position is a different story. But as far as a simply stopping a takedown, even repeatedly, I don't think isn't going to do much to win a fight.

No. But also you shouldn't reward a person who takes another down and does almost nothing with the position.

Its frustrating to watch some fights where a fighter defends 3-4 takedowns, then the round gets stolen when the other fighter gets a takedown towards the end of a round.

The judges have been trained over the years to reward offensive grappling more then defensive grappling. Perhaps they consider offensive grappling as octagon control?

I feel that when a fighter initiates a takedown and the other fighter fends off that takedown successfully, then the defending fighter won the grappling exchange.

It would be nice to see all the talk about evolving the ufc rules we have been for years actually happen.

I'd like to see everyone elses thoughts, and give the poll a vote as well.
No not as much but it should count. As I know now it counts for nothing. Also takedowns that are only there for a few seconds should be viewed differently than a takedown resulting in a dominant position.

Should defended punches & kicks count on the scorecards as much as punches & kicks?.....

Back