Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

Should defended takedowns count on scorecards as much as takedowns?

• Total voters
You are comparing apples and oranges.
Never brought up strikes, we are talking about grappling.
What's wrong with comparing apples and oranges? That's one of the most idiotic phrases I've seen people use.

No...we dont even give points in wrestling for defended takedowns. shit aint impressive. In fact, if you disengage from action in wrestling and do nothing but defend takedowns...you get hit with stall warnings.

So if all someone does is defend takedowns. They shouldn't get any points. Khabib was the aggressor and landed more strikes than Tibau, but Tibau defended all 13 takedown attempts. If we scored defences, Tibau would have cruised to an easy UD

What's wrong with comparing apples and oranges? That's one of the most idiotic phrases I've seen people use.

So you dont agree with me, and your solution is to try and start and arguement and attempt to force me to agree with you because your opinion is the only correct one?

So you dont agree with me, and your solution is to try and start and arguement and attempt to force me to agree with you because your opinion is the only correct one?
No, you oversensitive ninny. I don't care about your opinion on how takedowns should be scored.I only care about why you think apples and oranges can't be compared.

Fuck no, it shouldn't. Defending the TD is the reward in of itself as it allows you to continue the fight on your feet.

No. Defending is defending meaning someone is using offense while the other is just trying to stop it. Offense is points and defense is just preventing them from scoring. It's kinda of like saying they should get points for blocking or avoiding strikes.

If I'm not mistaken, fights are supposed to be judged on offensive techniques only because defense is it's own reward. Having said that I don't think judges are strict with that and most likely account for effective defense which I agree with. If a fighter completes two takedowns but had to attempt 20 to get them, I tend to think that should be factored into scoring.

I like the 3 defended=1 takedown ratio

You can't win a fight with only defense, so the answer is an emphatic, NO. There should be no points awarded for defense.

Not at the same level, I mean:

1 TD = 3 TDD

Also, remember that a TD actually gives you a top/side controls afterwards, a TDD gives you nothing 90% of the times

A takedown that does not result in control should be scored as a single landed punch would be, nothing more. If a fighter is controlled on the ground after being taken down, it should be worth more due to controlling the opponent.

Defending a takedown should not count as a point any more than defending a strike, as has been mentioned in this thread. Scoring in MMA is inherently offensive, so you don't score for offense that did not happen. It is a level playing field.

All that said, I agree with those that think too much emphasis is placed on offensive grappling. It seems better now than it used to be, but the bias is still there.

It would count for control as regaining neutral level of control.

It should counteract the point for the original takedown.... unless there was offense from the takedown (pass, gnp or sub attempts). If there was no offense, and the guy stands back up twenty seconds later, it should be equal.

Yes. Initially you would think the takedown attempt should be recognized as aggression and rewarded as such. But they're not always offensive. Many takedowns are initiated as part of a defense to get away from striking.

So yes, takedown defense should count as much as a takedown.
I agree with this. All takedowns were not created equally, and shouldn't be treated as such. You shouldn't be able to steal a round for landing a takedown the in the last 30 seconds of the fight while you were getting pieced up on the feet for 4 minutes prior. And if you get a takedown and the guy bounces right back up then the TD shouldn't count for much. Defense should not override offense, but it should be recognized as something.
A lot of people were using the TDs Dom got on TJ to prove how he clearly won...TJ immediately got right back up. TDs should only count for something if you do something with them

Aldo defended 12 of 12 of Frankie Edgar's TDs. It was impressive and won him points for sure.
If Frank had hit just one right down all those defences would mean little.

Back