• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shoop SHOOP Dat BIGWAVERIDER R.I.P. Brother

This is madness. Pretty unbelievable what technology can do these days. Good effort man.

This is so funny bro. I'm assuming this is from Mighty Mouse's days at Hamburg.

Yes bud :D you're spot on

BpBjAbb.jpg

There are many wrong hands, cloning and AI can become quite dangerous.. my opinion folks... Carole

Yeah, we're heading into uncharted waters pretty quickly. There's already been plenty of bad actors on the voice cloning front -

That’s Not Your Scared Kid on the Phone. It’s a Scammer Using Voice Cloning

Chatbots and Voice-Cloning Fuel Rise in AI-Powered Scams

Silent danger: How voice cloning AI is robbing people of both money and privacy

And then there is the issue of consent, as well as if a given voice should pass into the public domain upon a person's death, or if the decedent's relatives should inherit that voice, treating it as intellectual property, falling under personality rights/name/image/likeness/ -- but with this being vocal likeness, not the usual visual likeness.

It sounds like California does afford some degree of protection upon someone's death, which is not surprising, given Cali's historical role in entertainment and IP protection.

Interesting thought: a human can mimic someone's voice, like Will Sasso does here with his Jesse Ventura imitation, and I'm not sure that has ever been considered actionable. (If it is actionable, then I would think any person could sue anyone who does a vocal impression/imitation, so Jesse Ventura could sue Will Sasso, and comedic impressionsists would be outta luck.)

So should there be a difference in IP protection when it comes to an AI clone and a traditional vocal impression?

Shifting to the visual, in this thread, and all over the internet, really, you can find a whole host of nonconsensual replications and reproductions (shoops) of people's images.

Anyway, I look forward to the continued developments, both in public opinion and law :)

PS: check out this live, real-time voice changer using Joe Biden -

Last edited:
Back