Shoguns lost it.

Are people stating shogun can't run on his knees, or it's his knees that are the problem as fact? Was it stated by him or his management anywhere? He may just be cruising in to the end of his career now for all we know, content to spend lots of time with his famile then go train when he wants, and why not he's earned it.

When you add the context of his knee injuries and the fights where it affected him it's not half as bad as some posters would have you believe...

You people should finally realize that there is no such thing as Healthy Shogun or Motivated BJ Penn.

Its always felt like he lost a lot of steam when he couldn't kick/stomp grounded opponents.
There was a ufc fight with him where I was yelling at he tv 'stomp!' The it was like oh yeah he can't do that

Are people stating shogun can't run on his knees, or it's his knees that are the problem as fact? Was it stated by him or his management anywhere? He may just be cruising in to the end of his career now for all we know, content to spend lots of time with his famile then go train when he wants, and why not he's earned it.

Havent heard anything official about his knees, just a theory based on his glaring lack of kicks in recent fights.

I think he should just retire. All he's doing is tarnishing a once great career. It's pretty clear that his knee problems are never going away and he's just a wreck physically. Injuries have taken thier toll and I think his fight with Hendo took care of what was left. You can just see every time he punches that the legs aren't there any more, just wildly flings haymakers from the shoulder. His fight with Vera made it glaringly obvious that it was time to hang it up. Shogun's always been very good technically and, regardless of what you want to say about Vera, he's top of the food chain technique wise as far as Muy Thai goes (at least in MMA). I was expecting a good, hard, competitive, technical Thai boxing match and we ended up with an ugly, sloppy brawl. That was a grueling, tough fight, but it wasn't what I expected and it showed both guy's age and wear. For Shogun it's just a case at this point of his body not being able to do what his mind and heart want it to do.

If he is old, Hendo is a dinosaur. He's been in even more wars and is over 40. Age is a lame excuse at 31. A few fighters in the UFC roster are peaking in their late 30's

Hendo hasn't had 1/10th of the severe injuries that Shogun has. Keep in mind that Hendo did ironically tweak his knee not too long ago costing him the title shot.

Hendo by far has the least amount of wear and tear on the two, at least from a visual and historical stand point watching them fight and the injuries documented through the years.

My absolute favorite fighter and i agree. Him fighting top competition at this point worries me.

I think he should just retire. All he's doing is tarnishing a once great career. It's pretty clear that his knee problems are never going away and he's just a wreck physically. Injuries have taken thier toll and I think his fight with Hendo took care of what was left. You can just see every time he punches that the legs aren't there any more, just wildly flings haymakers from the shoulder. His fight with Vera made it glaringly obvious that it was time to hang it up. Shogun's always been very good technically and, regardless of what you want to say about Vera, he's top of the food chain technique wise as far as Muy Thai goes (at least in MMA). I was expecting a good, hard, competitive, technical Thai boxing match and we ended up with an ugly, sloppy brawl. That was a grueling, tough fight, but it wasn't what I expected and it showed both guy's age and wear. For Shogun it's just a case at this point of his body not being able to do what his mind and heart want it to do.

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it seem but he has slowness down a little. He still has 5-8 goods fights left in him

I actually was impressed by Shogun because I thought the fight wouldn't be competitive. Shogun almost lost to Vera who I think is very bad. I thought Gus would destroy him because I think he's like 3x better than Vera.

But Shogun did okay. He landed some blows. It wasn't a completely domination.

Yea it wasnt a domination by Gus. The main problem is his gas tank if he could fix that I think he could do a lot better. He needs to work on his ground game as well. He really has only two move he goes for which he's great at but he needs to be more diverse.

He let the game pass him by?

I forgot fighter's don't age like other athletes....they simply get lazy and don't evolve to compete with the "new breed" of fighters.

We all know Jordan and Ali were both lazy and let the game pass them by, it's just we ignore it in other sports and call it like we see it in mma:icon_neut

You're retarted, TS.

Styles make fights and 205 is arguably the most staked division in MMA. Let's not act like he's out there losing to cans and bums.

With the right training, Shogun could still be name fighters like Rampage or Machida.

Judging where shogun is in terms of his career is unfair to do after fighting gus. Gus is a tough matchup for anyone at lhw, and will likely be the toughest fight jones will have before he moves to hw.

It would be nice to see shogun slim down and move down to mw, but is probably not going to happen.

Some people need to rewatch his fight with Gus. If Gus had a weaker chin then Shogun would've TKO/Ko'd him several times in that fight. Gus has very able striking and striking defense. Not to mention most fighters would've tapped in that heel hook, which tweaked Gus' ankle.

Shogun still has a lot to offer the MMA world.

He let the game pass him by?

I forgot fighter's don't age like other athletes....they simply get lazy and don't evolve to compete with the "new breed" of fighters.

We all know Jordan and Ali were both lazy and let the game pass them by, it's just we ignore it in other sports and call it like we see it in mma:icon_neut

You're retarted, TS.

Yeah cause Jordan and Ali went into a dissapointing spiral where they become one dimensional, predictable and slow at age 31. Ali's best wins didint come until he was 32. Im not gonna revert to name calling because im alot smarter than you, merry christmas.

I think Shogun needs to fight lower competition for maybe 2-3 fights. I think it would do him good.

Back