Shoguns lost it.

Honestnathaniel

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So after the Gus fight I thought about Shogun and his place in the division.
He is in his 30's now and is unlikely to improve his game significantly from this point on, he's had multiple surgeries on his knees and it seems many of his weapons have been taken from him by the aforementioned injuries and age.
He has taken serious damage throughout his career and lately in particular, his style had reverted from a multifaceted striker to a very one dimensional slugger. He is over reliant on his big overhand, lacks the wrestling to consistently defend the takedown or fully implement a top game. His grappling is still dangerous but he lacks finishing ability with his subs and often leaves himself open on the mat, his cardio remains a major weakness and he is a step behind most modern fighters with his strength and conditioning programme it seems.
He could stick around as an upper level gatekeeper for a while IMO but I dont think we'll see him contend again, he's gone the way of Fedor and let the game pass him by, he's accomplished alot and given us great moments but he wont remain competitive unless he makes some serious changes.
Thoughts?

I'm fine with just seeing Shogun in fun fights. Rampage rematch, Lil nog Rematch etc.

He didn't do too badly - Gus is an awkward opponent.

Shogun looked great against Macheda (twice) and that wasn't too long ago.

I actually was impressed by Shogun because I thought the fight wouldn't be competitive. Shogun almost lost to Vera who I think is very bad. I thought Gus would destroy him because I think he's like 3x better than Vera.

But Shogun did okay. He landed some blows. It wasn't a completely domination.

Can't help but agree. As a big fan, I've worried much of his direction he is going in. If he keeps it up, he may even start sinking even lower in the division.

there was no reason he could have struggled against vera, besides the fact that his best days are behind him.

Lost it or refuses to use it?

Guy barely threw a kick against Gus and Vera. He's content to brawl now, that's his problem.

Lost it or refuses to use it?

Guy barely threw a kick against Gus and Vera. He's content to brawl now, that's his problem.

I think it has something to do with his knees, either that or he wont throw kicks because they require so much energy and he's worried about gassing.

I don't think he has much left either. I think just notch a couple more wins and then ride off into the sunset.

He's an all time great and really has nothing to prove, why stick around just to be used as a stepping stone for up and coming fighters.

Huge fan but I just don't know how much he has left and he doesn't kick anymore and his cardio just keeps failing him. He can still stick around in the top 10 but if he can't compete for the title anymore what's really the point. The injuries have taken their toll and why keep pushing his body if he isn't going to get the belt back.

He already has enough money and is already an all time great, if his body is failing him then why not just retire, he has nothing to prove.

If Machida loses to Hendo, set up that rematch in Brazil.

If not, match Shogun up with loser of Lil Nog/Evans or loser of Rampage/Glover.

The amount of haymaker overhand right Shogun threw against Gus was insane! I admire the intent to kill but the lack of diversity in his striking peaked in that fight.

I think it has something to do with his knees, either that or he wont throw kicks because they require so much energy and he's worried about gassing.

Then he needs to get in better shape or work on taking guys down and beating them up there. His last four fights have been nothing but him brawling.

I actually was impressed by Shogun because I thought the fight wouldn't be competitive. Shogun almost lost to Vera who I think is very bad. I thought Gus would destroy him because I think he's like 3x better than Vera.

But Shogun did okay. He landed some blows. It wasn't a completely domination.

Shogun did not "almost lose" to vera lol

I'm a diehard Shogun fan but tbh unless he's fighting Machida I'll probably throw down my vCash on his opponent.

I'm a diehard Shogun fan but tbh unless he's fighting Machida I'll probably throw down my vCash on his opponent.

Machida would probably beat him at this point. I dont know why he's the person of all the contenders you would pick shogun fun.

I think Shogun slaughters Bader, for instance.

tumblr_m8u671zX4d1rrwwgco1_500.gif

tumblr_m8cng1Mkep1qhedyvo1_500.jpg

Back