News Shlemenko is fighting Rafael Carvalho next

No doubt in my mind Shlemenko would have beat the brakes off Carvalho if they fought in Bellator. He looked far more impressive against Mousasi than Carvalho did.

That's because Shlemenko beat Mousasi silly, whereas Carvalho just laid down and didn't even try.

no way. he left Bellator on a very bad terms saying they was "trying to ruin his career for 4 years".

Do you have a link to an interview?

I'd be pretty pissed off too if I beat my opponent to a pulp (in a title eliminator) and then got robbed of the win. He must have suspected some judge tampering or other foul play, as did I.

I have a hard time thinking that prime Carvalho would have been top 15 in the UFC. He was probably the most mediocre champ they’ve had at MW. His biggest wins are old washed up Manhoef 2x, Sakara, and went to a split decision with 2-3 Joe Schilling.

Those wins over Manhoef and Joe Schilling weren't bad at all; in 2015/2016, there was a time where Manhoelf, Schilling and Hisaki "The Japanse Musketeer" Kato formed a triangle that kept winning and losing against one another.
Not a lot of guys in MMA would have been heavy favorites in stand up wars against this trio, so the fact that Rafael Carvalho beat Manhoef twice and Schilling once while they were in the middle of that triangle with Kato was actually pretty impressive.

Kato kO'd Schilling (MMA rules), then got KO'd by Manhoef (MMA rules), and then KO'd Schilling again (kickboxing rules)
Manhoef got KO'd by Schilling, then KO'd Kato; after that he lost twice to Carvalho, first via decision, then by KO.
Schilling KO'd Manhoef, lost to Carvalho by decision, and got KO'd by Kato twice in a row, first under MMA rules, then under Kickboxing rules.

Shlemenko also got a win over the Manhoef from this particular era, but since he pissed hot afterward it was removed from his record.
Considering that it was post-Tito Shlemenko, who went on a very nice run of his own, including a respectable performance against Gegard Mousasi

(Shlemenko lost via unanimous decision, but since he broke Gegard's orbital bone in the first minute of the fight, he had more success than anticipated during the rest of the fight; Mousasi still outgrappled Storm, attempting all kinds of different submissions, and bloodied Shlemenko's face up in the second round by battering him on feet and on the ground;
Then Moose did a great job ducking lots of Storm's most dangerous strikes in the 3rd round, considering that eye was still close shut from the very first exchange of the fight; had he not secured the first 2 rounds, who knows how the judges could have scored it?)

Speaking of Hisaki Kato, it's a shame that he was released from Bellator after one measly decision loss to Chidi Njokuani, another great kickboxer.

I've always been a big fan of the "Japanse Musketeer", who was a pure product of the French-Japanese Judo association, and that I had the immense luck of meeting while living in France.

Hisaki was born in France from a Judoka father who had moved there to become an instructor, and a French mother.
His father quickly became one of the capital's top Judo instructors, but sadly passed away when Hisaki was 3 years old...

(Japan might still be number 1 in Judo, with France as the eternal second when it comes to number of Olympians and victories in competitions, but there are actually more Judokas in France than Japan, where it's by far the number one grappling sport, and is taught in school the same way wrestling is taught in the US)

I remember that Kato spoke up when France got attacked by muslim terrorists, he sent a nice message back then, I'll try to find it...
there!

Roughly 100 meters from the Bataclan Theater is the NBF mixed martial arts gym where Hisaki Kato trains on a daily basis.

Usually, the Bataclan is a great place to catch a concert. But on November 13, it was the site of one of the worst terrorist attacks in the history of France.

Kato's coach, Fabien Hillairet, was at the gym when the shooting began. At first, he opened the doors of the gym, trying to offer terrified Parisians a place of refuge. But as the shooting continued, Hillairet decided to hide. He closed the doors and kept them closed, waiting out what would ultimately be a horrific series of coordinated attacks that left 129 dead and 352 wounded.

Kato was not in the gym at the time. Earlier that day, he'd stepped on a plane and departed for Thackerville, Oklahoma, where he'll face Melvin Manhoef in the main event of Friday's Bellator 146 event. But Kato was in constant communication with his coach and friends from the moment he landed, and the story they relayed was one of absolute horror.

"They were just waiting. There was heavy shooting," Kato told Bleacher Report. "Everybody was running away. People were looking for places to hide."

logo.png

Kato, the son of a French mother and Japanese father, was born in Paris. He lived there until he was 18 years old, when he moved to Japan. Today, he spends most of his time in Nagoya, but he still considers himself a Parisian, and so the tragic events in Paris had a profound effect on him.

He has spoken with his friends back in Paris. They are scared, and rightly so. The Paris attacks were the second major terrorist attack of this year, following the shooting at the offices of the magazine Charlie Hebdo earlier this year that left 17 dead and injured 11 others. The general feeling among Kato's friends is that they are now targets; what happened at Charlie Hebdo and the Bataclan will happen again.

"You can be a target if you go to a cafe or if you take the subway," he said. "People in groups are potential targets."

Attitudes toward Muslims in Paris are already changing, and Kato has noticed the difference. After the Charlie Hebdo attack earlier this year, there were appeals for solidarity with the Muslim community—for people to be careful not to group all Muslims together with the violent, radicalized members of the community who were responsible for the attacks.

After the latest attack, there is no such thing. According to the New York Times' Adam Nossiter and Liz Alderman, the French government is reacting with outright anger:

Instead, there was a palpable fear, even anger, as President Francois Hollande asked Parliament to extend a state of emergency and called for changing the Constitution to deal with terrorism. It was largely unspoken but nevertheless clear: Secular France always had a complicated relationship with its Muslim community, but now it was tipping toward outright distrust, even hostility.

Kato senses the same fear among his friends back home.

"I have a lot of Muslim friends. It's a shame for them. All of this just because of a few crazy guys," Kato said. "They are French people and just living a regular life. A lot of them are scared of being misjudged by other people. They are not comfortable being Muslim anymore because of a few crazy fanatics."

Kato plans to return to France, because it is his home. He said he'll conduct his next training camp there, steps from the site of the attack on the concert hall, because that is what he has always done.

But first, he must get through Manhoef, a violent and technical fighter who is known for his striking prowess. Kato heads into the bout with some momentum; he is coming off a Superman punch knockout of Joe Schilling in June. It was a surprising moment—ESPN's SportsCenter aired it repeatedly—and it will be a major contender for knockout of the year when such things are decided.

Kato could create another highlight moment this weekend. He is expecting a brawl, and it is likely he'll get one given Manhoef's style of fighting.

"He's a really aggressive fighter. You have to prepare yourself for 15 minutes," Kato said. "Mental training is a big part of it when you have to face someone more famous than you. But if your mindset is good and your training has been good, anything can happen."

After the fight, win or lose, Kato will return to Paris, to the neighborhood he loves, and he'll join the effort to help rebuild. He'll go back to the cafes and will get involved in the neighborhood social life. That is the only way forward—one step at a time, showing absolutely no fear.

"I will go back to France," he said. "I just want to do the regular Parisian life, because I want to prove that we are not afraid."

Anyway, Shlemenko vs Carvalho, uh? Not sure who to pick, probably Storm, but there's going to be fireworkds either way.

Do you have a link to an interview?

I'd be pretty pissed off too if I beat my opponent to a pulp (in a title eliminator) and then got robbed of the win. He must have suspected some judge tampering or other foul play, as did I.
i don't have a link but his issues with Bellator since Coker took over was:

barely offering him fights once a year while he was telling them he can fight every 3 months including super short notice because he always in shape and basically doesn't cut weight.

Mousasi. he thought he won. but since Gegard was a huge signing at the time Bellator just could not afford him losing so the needed man got a win. he wasn't mad, just asked for an immediate rematch in a five round fight so he had enough time to get a finish. not happened.

took them almost a year and a half to find him an oppenent for the last fight on his contract and eventually they picked Tokov, only guy on the roster he didnt want to fight.

Those wins over Manhoef and Joe Schilling weren't bad at all; in 2015/2016, there was a time where Manhoelf, Schilling and Hisaki "The Japanse Musketeer" Kato formed a triangle that kept winning and losing against one another.
Not a lot of guys in MMA would have been heavy favorites in stand up wars against this trio, so the fact that Rafael Carvalho beat Manhoef twice and Schilling once while they were in the middle of that triangle with Kato was actually pretty impressive.

Kato kO'd Schilling (MMA rules), then got KO'd by Manhoef (MMA rules), and then KO'd Schilling again (kickboxing rules)
Manhoef got KO'd by Schilling, then KO'd Kato; after that he lost twice to Carvalho, first via decision, then by KO.
Schilling KO'd Manhoef, lost to Carvalho by decision, and got KO'd by Kato twice in a row, first under MMA rules, then under Kickboxing rules.

Shlemenko also got a win over the Manhoef from this particular era, but since he pissed hot afterward it was removed from his record.
Considering that it was post-Tito Shlemenko, who went on a very nice run of his own, including a respectable performance against Gegard Mousasi

(Shlemenko lost via unanimous decision, but since he broke Gegard's orbital bone in the first minute of the fight, he had more success than anticipated during the rest of the fight; Mousasi still outgrappled Storm, attempting all kinds of different submissions, and bloodied Shlemenko's face up in the second round by battering him on feet and on the ground;
Then Moose did a great job ducking lots of Storm's most dangerous strikes in the 3rd round, considering that eye was still close shut from the very first exchange of the fight; had he not secured the first 2 rounds, who knows how the judges could have scored it?)

Speaking of Hisaki Kato, it's a shame that he was released from Bellator after one measly decision loss to Chidi Njokuani, another great kickboxer.

I've always been a big fan of the "Japanse Musketeer", who was a pure product of the French-Japanese Judo association, and that I had the immense luck of meeting while living in France.

Hisaki was born in France from a Judoka father who had moved there to become an instructor, and a French mother.
His father quickly became one of the capital's top Judo instructors, but sadly passed away when Hisaki was 3 years old...

(Japan might still be number 1 in Judo, with France as the eternal second when it comes to number of Olympians and victories in competitions, but there are actually more Judokas in France than Japan, where it's by far the number one grappling sport, and is taught in school the same way wrestling is taught in the US)

I remember that Kato spoke up when France got attacked by muslim terrorists, he sent a nice message back then, I'll try to find it...
there!

Anyway, Shlemenko vs Carvalho, uh? Not sure who to pick, probably Storm, but there's going to be fireworkds either way.
Always wondered what ever happened to Kato, he was always fun AF to watch. Speaking of French judokas, my understanding is that successful French judokas make a boatload of money, like more than MMA fighters, its no wonder guys like Riner never transitioned to MMA.

and about that last fight on his contract: Shlemenko's manager contacted Daley directly and asked if he's down to fight at catchweight. Daley said "hell yes". Bellator said "no thank you".

Last edited:
Always wondered what ever happened to Kato, he was always fun AF to watch. Speaking of French judokas, my understanding is that successful French judokas make a boatload of money, like more than MMA fighters, its no wonder guys like Riner never transitioned to MMA.

The French Judo association pays them a good amount plus the money for the Olympic, World Championship, European championship medals

Plus Riner and others have sponsorship deals with Under Armor, Accor, etc.

barely offering him fights once a year while he was telling them he can fight every 3 months including super short notice because he always in shape and basically doesn't cut weight.

Mousasi. he thought he won. but since Gegard was a huge signing at the time Bellator just could not afford him losing so the needed man got a win. he wasn't mad, just asked for an immediate rematch in a five round fight so he had enough time to get a finish. not happened.

took them almost a year and a half to find him an oppenent for the last fight on his contract and eventually they picked Tokov, only guy on the roster he didnt want to fight.

I mean all of that sounds like a good enough reason to leave. Doesn't sound like the situation is completely unrepairable, but I think that ship has sailed, shame.

I mean all of that sounds like a good enough reason to leave. Doesn't sound like the situation is completely unrepairable, but I think that ship has sailed, shame.
i don't think where is any reason for him to come back tbh. he's getting between 100k and 200k fighting as often as he wants while not being exclusively tied to any promotion and being available if UFC suddently calls. and hes currently setting himself up for even bigger payday for a superfight (by russian standards of course) with Magomed Ismailov.

I thought he was out for a year for pissing hot after the Manhoef fight.

i don't think where is any reason for him to come back tbh. he's getting between 100k and 200k fighting as often as he wants while not being exclusively tied to any promotion and being available if UFC suddently calls. and hes currently setting himself up for even bigger payday for a superfight (by russian standards of course) with Magomed Ismailov.

Is he actually making between 100K and 200K for each bout in Russia? If so, ya fuck Bellator, stay in Russia.

I thought he was out for a year for pissing hot after the Manhoef fight.
10 months with not so great lawyer. it was not as simple case as people seem to remember. if Bellator decided to be involved it might have been no suspension at all.

Is he actually making between 100K and 200K for each bout in Russia? If so, ya fuck Bellator, stay in Russia.
he is. president of Fight Nights Global said in interview that last time against Marcio Santos (basically a noname) Shlemenko got "more than a 100k" and for the right fight hes worth up to 300.

he is. president of Fight Nights Global said in interview that last time against Marcio Santos (basically a noname) Shlemenko got "more than a 100k" and for the right fight hes worth up to 300.
Like I said, no reason for him to go back to Bellator, much less even the UFC. Didn't know FNG paid that well

According to Russian media, who said that news is from Carvalho's camp -- fight is not happening in July because of COVID restrictions because promotion wants it to happen at some bigger event later that year.

there!

Fuck, I can't believe you made me nostalgic for that era of Bellator. Bellator Middleweight wasn't a super stacked with talent or anything, but it had a pretty violent reputation. Lombard KOing dudes and the war vs Shlemenko. The Shlemenko/Cooper/Marshall era was pretty fun back in the tournament days. Although mostly forgotten now, Carvalho liver-kicking Halsey was a HUGE upset. Halsey vs Salter was bloody as fuck. Kendall "Da Spyda" Grove having a bit of a career resurgence by KOing Beltran and France was pretty cool to see.

Anyways, Bellator's fucked up matchmaking made a bit of a cult following for Hisaki Kato for awhile. I think he's since moved into K-1. I really wish we got to see him fight Lyoto Machida or Alexander Shlemenko.

Nowadays at 185, you got the likes of Mousasi, Tokov, and Vanderford, but that unpredictable, chaotic charm of that division isn't there anymore.

It should be easy since he already destroyed Mousasi (and got robbed). This fight should have already happened 4 years ago.
Shlemenko got dominated in the round he landed a lucky punch 35 seconds in, lol, with his thumb LITERALLY getting stuck in the broken orbital of Gegard Mousasi. Lol- he should be embarrassed not being able to do much in second round. 0-2 going into round 3.
Mousasi was a 7-1 favorite and hed be the same 7-1 favorite in re match. Someone like you wouldnt understand. He couldnt beat a blind man.... first tier goat mousasi, albeit, but still...

Lol.

Menko had enough sense to keep his mouth shut ....unlike Rory ( who got his nose shattered inside of a few minutes and then tapped to elbows ).

That Rory > shlemenko.

TITS the troll. I never get tired clowning u

Fuck, I can't believe you made me nostalgic for that era of Bellator. Bellator Middleweight wasn't a super stacked with talent or anything, but it had a pretty violent reputation. Lombard KOing dudes and the war vs Shlemenko. The Shlemenko/Cooper/Marshall era was pretty fun back in the tournament days. Although mostly forgotten now, Carvalho liver-kicking Halsey was a HUGE upset. Halsey vs Salter was bloody as fuck. Kendall "Da Spyda" Grove having a bit of a career resurgence by KOing Beltran and France was pretty cool to see.

Anyways, Bellator's fucked up matchmaking made a bit of a cult following for Hisaki Kato for awhile. I think he's since moved into K-1. I really wish we got to see him fight Lyoto Machida or Alexander Shlemenko.

Nowadays at 185, you got the likes of Mousasi, Tokov, and Vanderford, but that unpredictable, chaotic charm of that division isn't there anymore.

This post just reminded me of Shlemenko vs Cooper 2. What an absolute war that fight was.

Back