Sherdog's Definitive Anti-Aging Thread

Keep 'em coming.

I have been using Emu Oil for the last 2 years. Quite regulalry actually.
Just under the eyes and forehead areas.
Skin looks exactly the same as when I stated.

I personally think the sun exposure is overblown. Don't get sunburn all the time, but nothing wrong with a light tan.

I will post studies about Retinol-A later. This stuff nukes your skin at first, but then it seems to speed up the cell-division.

I have to stress the importance of sports early in life. All young looking 50-somethings I know like my dad and coaches - they all did lots and lots of training when they were young, and they didn't let themselves go too much. Even my dads skin for all his past smoking, and current eating habits looks very clear for a 58 year old.

Keep 'em coming.

I have been using Emu Oil for the last 2 years. Quite regulalry actually.
Just under the eyes and forehead areas.
Skin looks exactly the same as when I stated.

I personally think the sun exposure is overblown. Don't get sunburn all the time, but nothing wrong with a light tan.

I will post studies about Retinol-A later. This stuff nukes your skin at first, but then it seems to speed up the cell-division.

I have to stress the importance of sports early in life. All young looking 50-somethings I know like my dad and coaches - they all did lots and lots of training when they were young, and they didn't let themselves go too much. Even my dads skin for all his past smoking, and current eating habits looks very clear for a 58 year old.

Yes on the Retin-A. I was prescribed this when I was a teenager for acne. I've been using it ever since. Its kept the skin on my face looking young. It's like having a mini-face peel every night.

Not that I care too much about aging as a man anyway. I've noticed when I clean up and dress well I get far more looks from the ladies than I did when I was younger. I remember reading a study or article or something somewhere backing this up. It said that women find older men with indicators of success (fit, well groomed, well dressed) more attractive than younger men with the same attributes. But they found the younger sloppier men more attractive than the older sloppier men. Something to do with surviving to a more advanced age 'successfully' as being more appealing to females on a genetic level.

Honestly, the whole "X race doesn't age" thing is really just facial recognition bias. Everyone ages. East Asians are typically thought of as aging particularly well relative to others, but, if you talk to any of them, they often claim that white people look like they never age. Realistically, anyone from another culture/race/ethnicity ages just like everyone else in the world; we just don't typically see it the same way that they do because we aren't used to seeing it.

Movie stars, on the other hand, are usually pretty resistant to the effects of age due to the miraculous innovations in the field of plastic surgery, and this is true regardless of race/culture/gender.

Sleep, plenty of water, reduce stress and skin care (moisturise/sunscreen).

Honestly, the whole "X race doesn't age" thing is really just facial recognition bias. Everyone ages. East Asians are typically thought of as aging particularly well relative to others, but, if you talk to any of them, they often claim that white people look like they never age. Realistically, anyone from another culture/race/ethnicity ages just like everyone else in the world; we just don't typically see it the same way that they do because we aren't used to seeing it.

Movie stars, on the other hand, are usually pretty resistant to the effects of age due to the miraculous innovations in the field of plastic surgery, and this is true regardless of race/culture/gender.
Melanin reduces sun damage. Darker people can take more UV and experience less photoaging.

Honestly, the whole "X race doesn't age" thing is really just facial recognition bias. Everyone ages. East Asians are typically thought of as aging particularly well relative to others, but, if you talk to any of them, they often claim that white people look like they never age.

Not true. Asians will tell you that all white people look the same, but they won't tell you we don't age. Asian women look 16 from the age of 16-50~ then they shrink a foot and miraculously grow a perm...

I have it on good authority this poster is based off scientific fact

th

FYI: My GF is Korean and she laughed her ass off at this image the first time I showed her. If someone's offended, use some douche to clean the sand out, and delete the f'ing image from my post.

I feel like I can tell the difference between a 20 year old and 30-40 year old Eastern Asian woman. Anyone want to set up the pepsi challenge ITT? Through up pictures and we'll guess their ages without googling.

Melanin reduces sun damage. Darker people can take more UV and experience less photoaging.

Yup. There's actually some science behind this.

Wrinkles are largely a result of loss of fat on the face. When people get botox, they're basically injecting a substance to replace the fat they've lost. And Asians have more fat on their faces than any other race (this where their "round" features and eye shape comes from).

So when it comes to just the face, there are some racial characteristics that delay the appearance of age (or, there are some that speed it up, if you're looking at it from the other point of view)

In before some genius posts a pic of a wrinkled Asian to "prove" all this wrong.

^^^

On related note, throwing some high-quality coconut oil on my face after shaving seems to do wonders. Feels good, smells good too. Just can't go out immediately afterwards (I usually do it before bed).

Emu Oil is shown to increase subcutaneous fat and increase thickness of skin ^.
It is also far more effective at penetrating all dermal layers than mineral oil used in beauty products. Unlike Coconut oil it doesn't smell for hours and gets absorbed much better.

Emu Oil Burn Study Results (AEA Funded, 1995-1998) Report by Margaret Pounder, AEA President. (Reprinted from AEA EMU Update, Summer 1998 issue).

Summary: A long term study was initiated by Dr. John Griswold, Director of the Timothy J. Harner Burn Center (affiliated with Texas Tech University Medical Center, Lubbock, Texas) in 1995 to analyze the potential effects of emu oil in the healing of re-epithelialized burn wounds. The study found that the patients, "almost unanimously favored emu oil as an end result and during application", and that there was statistically significant difference in scar reduction and inflammation of the emu oil treated wounds.

Fatty Acid Analysis of Emu Oil (AEA Funded study , 1994) By: Dr. Paul Smith, Dr. Margaret Craig-Schmidt, and Amanda Brown at Auburn University. (Reprinted from AEA News, September 1994 Issue).

Summary: Analysis of fatty acids in emu oil reveals that it contains approximately 70% unsaturated fatty acids. The major fatty acid found in emu oil is oleic acid, which is monounsaturated and which comprises over 40% of the total fatty acid content. Emu oil also contains both of the two essential fatty acids (EFA's) which are important to human health: 20% linoleic, and 1-2% alpha-linolenic acid.

Emu Oil: Comedogenicity Testing: (Study done for E.R.I., 1993) By: Department of Dermatology, at Texas Medical School, Houston.

Summary: Testing using rabbit ear histological assay, with emu oil in concentrations of 25%, 75%, and 100% show that emu oil in concentrations up to 100% is non-comedogenic, i.e. it does not clog the pores of the skin.

Moisturizing and Cosmetic Properties of Emu Oil: A Double Blind Study (1994) By, Dr. Alexander Zemtsov, Indiana University School of Medicine: Dr. Monica Gaddis, Ball Memorial Hospital; and Dr. Victor Montalvo-Lugo, Ball Memorial Hospital (Reprinted from AEA News, October/November 1994 Issue).

Summary: Eleven human subjects took part in a double-blind clinical study which compared emu oil with mineral oil in texture, skin permeability and moisturizing properties, as well as comedogenicity and irritability to the skin. No irritation to the skin was observed with either oil. However, comedogenicity of emu oil was significantly lower than that of mineral oil, and all subjects stated a unanimous preference for emu oil.

Composition of Emu Oil: The Micro View (1997) By Dr. Leigh Hopkins, AEA Oil Standards Team (Research Leader). (Reprinted from AEA News, Spring 1997 issue).

Summary: When compared with human skin oil, the fatty acid composition of emu oil is found to be quite similar. In both types of oil, monounsaturated oleic acid is the most prevalent fatty acid, followed by palmitic acid, then linoleic acid, which is an EFA (essential fatty acid). This similarity may be one of the factors enabling emu oil to have such a positive action on human skin.

Emu Cream Assists Lidocaine: Local Anesthetic Absorption Through Human Skin (1997) By: Dr. William Code. (Presented at the 88th American Oil Chemists Society annual meeting, May 1997, Reprinted from AEA News, Summer 1997 issue.)

Summary: In his initial work with an emu oil based cream combined with spearmint oil and lidocaine, Dr. Code has found that this mixture appears to produce a reduced sensation in the skin as compared with another mixture of local anesthetics without emu oil. The goal is to reduce sensitivity to the skin in a safe, fast and effective way for procedures such as suturing or giving injections.

Emu Oil: A Source of Nontoxic Transdermal Anti-inflammatory Agents in Aboriginal Medicine (1997) By: Dr. Michael Whitehouse and Athol Turner, Dept. of Medicine, University of Queensland, Australia.
(Source: Inflammopharmacology, San Francisco, March 1997 conference proceedings. Reprinted from AEA News, Summer 1997 issue).

Summary: Ongoing studies on the anti-inflammatory activity of emu oils, as tested using the arthritis-induced rat model, indicate that different emu oils vary in their ability to suppress arthritic symptoms and that a chemical test for biological activity is needed rather than continuing to use the rat model.

Where do you buy emu oil? I looked it up on Amazon and it seems pretty expensive.
I am not even sure I could get emu oil where I live. Coconut oil is cheap and plentiful though.

It's pretty complicated with emu oil. You need to find a good emu oil farm that doesn't put too much extra stuff into the mixture and doesn't process it too much.

It costs about 30$ for 3-4 months supply.

I have nothing but good things to say about it though: skin looks better and is much softer after prolonged use.

I get this from Amazon*, but you can get it off their site [korunaturals.com]. It's $18 and a bottle lasts a little over 2 years daily usage for my face and hair/head. I don't skimp, either.

*(high reviews on Amazon)

emu_oil_pure_premium_australian_dbulm.jpg

^^This image is about the actual size of the bottle. A little goes a long way. I think 2 bottles is $30 (last I checked)

They ship internationally, this brand. The quality is consistent, very high grade. No lumps, no minor noticeable differences between batches, no problems at all.

My skin looks younger (+ with less wrinkles) than it did 10 years ago. After I wake up from a good sleep I look in the mirror and it's like I'm in highschool again. A little surreal tbh

What does it do for your scalp and hair?

I'm not denying that, but photoaging isn't the only way in which one can visibly age.

True. But it is a pretty major contributor. Just take a look at that picture I posted a few pages back of the truck driver that had sun damage on one side of his face.

I'll give a worthless online antidote as well. I ran into a older surfer friend I hadn't seen in about 5 years today and I hardly recognized him at first sight. It had been about 5 years since I seen him last and I was seriously shocked. He lives a fairly healthy lifestyle besides the sun exposure he gets and from 35 (when I saw him last) to 40 (when I saw him today) he seemed like he aged about 20 years.
He was always known for his healthy looking tanned appearance throughout his life as well. I guess you can't get away with that kind of sun exposure when you're older.

Ok, let's get totally metro..

Micro-dermabrasion once a week while avoiding direct sunlight not only helps your appearance but it allows the lotions you put on your skin to be absorbed 20x more effectively.

Back