• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a cheaper alternative, here is their i7-4790K pre-build on special:
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/IBP-Intel-Z97-i7-Special-PRE-BUILD

• Case: NZXT Source 220 w/Window Side Panel [/I]
  • Noise Reduction: None
  • CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: None
  • RAM: DDR3-1600 16GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
  • Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS
  • PSU: Unknown
  • SSD (OS): 120GB Kingston v300 SATA3
  • HDD (Media): 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3
  • Optical: LG 12x Blu-Ray Reader/Burner Combo Drive
  • Keyboard: iBuyPower Standard Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse: iBuyPower Standard Gaming Mouse
Included Free Items:
TOTAL: $1329

PC Part Picker should alert you to component incompatibility. I don't think it's perfect, but it's pretty spot on.
http://pcpartpicker.com/

God no. That's a horrible value even on a pre-built AIO desktop for gaming. As many have pointed out, the i7-4790(K) is outperformed only incrementally by the i7-5820K and i7-5930K in almost all games because almost no games out there load up the 5th core and beyond. Only enthusiasts, and typically overclockers who buy top quality aftermarket CPU cooling and ramp up the low native clocking of those i7's, tend to desire the 6-core i7's. Them and guys who just want the most overall computational power possible. Editing software benefits from this. Similarly, 32GB of RAM is overkill, 1600W in the PSU is overkill, and even the Asus RAMPAGE motherboard is overkill unless you are yourself like to overclock and calibrate other advanced tweakings for gaming in the motherboard BIOS.

So it looks like you want someone to assembled your PC for you. I just stopped by iBuyPower and put together a similar Dual-GPU build at this enthusiast level using the "Summer Special Intel Z97 i7" that matches this one on performance by cutting down the fat (even bests it on the boot drive via the PCI SSD), and also sees to it you get a higher "build quality" in terms of cooling for your build, sound dampening of the PC, and on the general quality of non-computational components like the case and PSU. Additionally, it has real storage capacity (4TB) since games are huge these days, though that superfast PCIe SSD is big enough to hold the several games you're playing at any given time conveniently using a drive transfer utility tool, and by doing that you will have INSTANT load times. It also has a Blu-Ray drive if you want to use free software like Pot Player to play back Blu-Rays from the Redbox. A final few perks are that it comes with several free items and a cheaply added 1-yr return service tacked onto the standard 3-yr warranty.
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Summer-Special-Intel-Z97-i7
  • Case: Zalman MS 800 Plus Gaming (if upgrading, recommend Corsair 550D)
  • Noise Reduction: Basic (sound dampening material, not case fan upgrades)
  • CPU: i7-4790 4.0GHz Quad Core Processor (unless you want to overclock, don't need the "K" version)
  • CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC + Single Arc Silent Fan Upgrade
  • RAM: DDR3-2133 16GB, G. Skill Ripjaw X
  • GPU: 2 x AMD Radeon 390 8GB, Crossfire Mode
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W (Tier 2 PSU; the successor G2 scored "10" Performance & "9.5" Build Quality from JonnyGuru)
  • SSD (OS): Intel 750 400GB PCI-E SSD (2500 MB/s Read & 1200MB/s Write)
  • HDD (Media): 2 x 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3
  • Optical: LG 14x Blu-Ray Rewriter Burner Combo Drive
  • Warranty: added 1-Year Return Shipping Service
Included Free Items:
TOTAL: $2387

I didn't include the Asus Xonar DX because I didn't know if you had the headphones or sound system to warrant it. Also, really, that's something you literally just plug into the motherboard, and the OS does the rest these days. No reason to pay them $25 to plug a card in for you (the premium over the best web price for that card as an individual component). The same goes for all the other peripherals they're trying to pimp.
You could also opt for the GTX 970 in SLI instead, but at $132 more than the brand new R9 380's, here, I don't think it's an equal buy. The only thing that offsets that is a free copy of Batman: Arkham Knight. Unfortunately, they really start to charge ridiculous amounts, especially for the second card, once you start selecting the 980/390X or better, and the performance/price gains steeply drop off.

This rig will run 1440p/1600p no problem for anything. It will run most games in 4K@60fps+ and almost all games @45fps+ on high/ultra settings (games like Crysis 3 are an exception).

Excellent post. The only thing I would say is he needs to research/clarify what resolution he wants to run. If 4k or even ultrawide 1440, then I would say dual 980 ti GPUs due to his budget.

PC Part Picker should alert you to component incompatibility. I don't think it's perfect, but it's pretty spot on.
http://pcpartpicker.com/

God no. That's a horrible value even on a pre-built AIO desktop for gaming. As many have pointed out, the i7-4790(K) is outperformed only incrementally by the i7-5820K and i7-5930K in almost all games because almost no games out there load up the 5th core and beyond. Only enthusiasts, and typically overclockers who buy top quality aftermarket CPU cooling and ramp up the low native clocking of those i7's, tend to desire the 6-core i7's. Them and guys who just want the most overall computational power possible. Editing software benefits from this. Similarly, 32GB of RAM is overkill, 1600W in the PSU is overkill, and even the Asus RAMPAGE motherboard is overkill unless you are yourself like to overclock and calibrate other advanced tweakings for gaming in the motherboard BIOS.

So it looks like you want someone to assembled your PC for you. I just stopped by iBuyPower and put together a similar Dual-GPU build at this enthusiast level using the "Summer Special Intel Z97 i7" that matches this one on performance by cutting down the fat (even bests it on the boot drive via the PCI SSD), and also sees to it you get a higher "build quality" in terms of cooling for your build, sound dampening of the PC, and on the general quality of non-computational components like the case and PSU. Additionally, it has real storage capacity (4TB) since games are huge these days, though that superfast PCIe SSD is big enough to hold the several games you're playing at any given time conveniently using a drive transfer utility tool, and by doing that you will have INSTANT load times. It also has a Blu-Ray drive if you want to use free software like Pot Player to play back Blu-Rays from the Redbox. A final few perks are that it comes with several free items and a cheaply added 1-yr return service tacked onto the standard 3-yr warranty.
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Summer-Special-Intel-Z97-i7
  • Case: Zalman MS 800 Plus Gaming (if upgrading, recommend Corsair 550D)
  • Noise Reduction: Basic (sound dampening material, not case fan upgrades)
  • CPU: i7-4790 4.0GHz Quad Core Processor (unless you want to overclock, don't need the "K" version)
  • CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC + Single Arc Silent Fan Upgrade
  • RAM: DDR3-2133 16GB, G. Skill Ripjaw X
  • GPU: 2 x AMD Radeon 390 8GB, Crossfire Mode
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W (Tier 2 PSU; the successor G2 scored "10" Performance & "9.5" Build Quality from JonnyGuru)
  • SSD (OS): Intel 750 400GB PCI-E SSD (2500 MB/s Read & 1200MB/s Write)
  • HDD (Media): 2 x 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3
  • Optical: LG 14x Blu-Ray Rewriter Burner Combo Drive
  • Warranty: added 1-Year Return Shipping Service
Included Free Items:
TOTAL: $2387

I didn't include the Asus Xonar DX because I didn't know if you had the headphones or sound system to warrant it. Also, really, that's something you literally just plug into the motherboard, and the OS does the rest these days. No reason to pay them $25 to plug a card in for you (the premium over the best web price for that card as an individual component). The same goes for all the other peripherals they're trying to pimp.
You could also opt for the GTX 970 in SLI instead, but at $132 more than the brand new R9 380's, here, I don't think it's an equal buy. The only thing that offsets that is a free copy of Batman: Arkham Knight. Unfortunately, they really start to charge ridiculous amounts, especially for the second card, once you start selecting the 980/390X or better, and the performance/price gains steeply drop off.

This rig will run 1440p/1600p no problem for anything. It will run most games in 4K@60fps+ and almost all games @45fps+ on high/ultra settings (games like Crysis 3 are an exception).

Damn that a fucking beast

*blank stare*

I recognized most of those words but the meaning is beyond me.

Is there a way of determining a compatible list of parts online or should I just bite the bullet and go get fleeced by a computer store? I've been looking through newegg.ca but I've been out of the loop too long and I don't know what's compatible with what or if a particular part is worth a shit or not.

Here's my list so far, suggestions are welcome:

Case: RAIDMAX Viper GX II ATX-522WBO Black/Orange Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $99.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W $709.99
Board: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard $569.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) $429.99
Video Card: 2 X ASUS R9390-DC2-8GD5 Radeon R9 390 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support $444.99 (x2)
Power Supply: EVGA 120-G2-1600-X1 80 PLUS GOLD 1600 W 10 yr Warranty Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support $389.99
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive $219.99

Total price before tax and shipping: $3309.92

As a general thought you should budget in bi-generational if not generational graphics card upgrades versus buying into diminshing returns under the future proofing arguement.

Personally I dislike multi-gpu solutions unless it is of last resort. If you have the money and do not like the raw performance go with performance via a single graphics card instead. Otherwise you're better off benefiting form the ease of use and consistency of a single graphics card.

Unless you plan to go with Haswell-E (like you posted, although not the best value proposition for gaming) I would wait for Skylake to launch in August at this point (next month). I would not buy a Haswell LGA 1155 platform at this point unless you absolutely just cannot wait as it will be EOL (end of life) in a month. Intel will launch Skylake at IDF in mid August.

Also did you plan on budgeting in other aspects such as the display?

Last edited:
*blank stare*

I recognized most of those words but the meaning is beyond me.

Is there a way of determining a compatible list of parts online or should I just bite the bullet and go get fleeced by a computer store? I've been looking through newegg.ca but I've been out of the loop too long and I don't know what's compatible with what or if a particular part is worth a shit or not.

Here's my list so far, suggestions are welcome:

Case: RAIDMAX Viper GX II ATX-522WBO Black/Orange Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $99.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W $709.99
Board: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard $569.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) $429.99
Video Card: 2 X ASUS R9390-DC2-8GD5 Radeon R9 390 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support $444.99 (x2)
Power Supply: EVGA 120-G2-1600-X1 80 PLUS GOLD 1600 W 10 yr Warranty Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support $389.99
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive $219.99

Total price before tax and shipping: $3309.92

Lol for 3k you can get an over the top computer. I built this for 2.5k and I don't see any reason to build anything more powerful for game

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qMg4Vn

So my brother ended up getting this computer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-de...d-drive-black-red/8448199.p?id=1219334567161&

I know, it's shit but he wanted something he could take home and play that night.

Now, however, the graphics card (Nvidia Gtx 750) seems to crash randomly while playing games. At first we didn't know what it was, but I think we have narrowed it down. He was playing Ark at High Graphics and his card got to the mid 80s on temps. I got him to use a fan control program to keep his temps at 80 max but the card is still crashing on games like Ark and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

We are assuming it is the card because I got him to use the onboard graphics card for the second monitor he uses and whenever his computer would "crash" the monitor would still be on showing the screen but frozen. The monitor hooked to the 750 would be black. The whole time the computer would still be running.

I ran event viewer but it only shows a kernal power thing from force shutting down the pc when it freezes.

I've tried googling around but because there is also a gtx 750 TI edition it is almost impossible to find things relevant to the regular gtx 750.

I've update all the drivers I possibly can figure out to update, but one thing that has escaped me is the motherboard in this rig. All the reviews I've found don't show a motherboard, HWMonitor doesn't show a motherboard - it gives a generic sorta name (I think the name of the rig?) and shows temps at a constant 109 celsius regardless of how long it has been on and the strain on the computer.

Anyway, if anyone could figure out the problem with this computer that would be absolutely awesome. My brother is pretty crushed that his first gaming pc is really giving him a headache.

Dude, take that shit back to the store.

Well that would be ideal but not possible.

Why not? Rushing a PC purchase because you want to play now and not wait a few days always results in regret.

He lost the receipt lol. And yea I know. Hes very impulsive

Pretty sure they can look upt he receipt unless he's one of those idiots that pays with cash.

brothers, whats a good RGB keybored. i was considering waiting for Roccatt to drop they're mechanical RGB but...

He lost the receipt lol. And yea I know. Hes very impulsive

Hard to feel bad for him. You came for advice and we provided, yet he ignored it.

If it is crashing, that definitely warrants a return. There is no way to tell what is going on.

brothers, whats a good RGB keybored. i was considering waiting for Roccatt to drop they're mechanical RGB but...

Corsair K70 seems to be at the top of review lists for mechanicals.

I'm digging the look of this one
tesoro_lobera_spectrum.jpg

Lobera-Spectrum-I-O_w_600.jpg

http://www.tesorotec.com/lobera-spectrum/

That one looks nice. I went with the Logitech G910 and love it.

H8PFB52.jpg

Logitech makes a nice keyboard. I wish they'd offer models with integrated wrists pads instead of detachable though.

I was really torn between the Razer RGB keyboard and the Corsair one. Ultimately I went with Razer because the Corsair one didn't have have a USB passthrough port which is a huge oversight in a $170 keyboard if you ask me. I love the Razer one, but I am sure that any mechanical board is going to feel incredible coming from a normal keyboard. Really a much better upgrade than I expected when I bought it

I was really torn between the Razer RGB keyboard and the Corsair one. Ultimately I went with Razer because the Corsair one didn't have have a USB passthrough port which is a huge oversight in a $170 keyboard if you ask me. I love the Razer one, but I am sure that any mechanical board is going to feel incredible coming from a normal keyboard. Really a much better upgrade than I expected when I bought it

Too late but I would avoid the Razer mechnical keyboards because of the fucked up key placement of the F1-F12 keys, they're aligned towards the right side of the keyboard. So there's like an extra 1 key gap in between the ESC key and the F1 key. It doesn't sound like a big deal until you start using it and realize that it's alot harder to reach the F1-F8 keys like you would on any other keyboard. I don't know why Razer did this because it's retarded, if anything they should have aligned all of the F1-F12 keys to the left side to make them more accessible. Another idiotic design element, the keyboard speakerout,micjack and usbs are on the right side of the keyboard which means you're going to be jabbing into those cords if your right handed, they should have put them on the northside of the keyboard or just place them on the top of the keyboard so they're not in the way.

If you compare the F1-F4 keys on that Logitech keyboard above, the F1 key starts inbetween the 1 and 2 keys. On the Razer the F1 key starts almost inbetween the 2 and 3 keys. Likewise the Logtiech F4 key starts at the middle of the 5 key. On the Razer is starts near the middle of the 6 key.

i dont wanna speak to you right now. Why the fuck would you get anything Razer, they're shit always seems to break or be trash

i was actually hoping the roccatts ryos would have they're RGB keybored out.

220.jp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back