SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 146 - Interstellar

I'm writing this in a fever. Expect more delusions and misspellings than normal.

Look at Cooper, he meets NASA for 10 minutes and he's ready to fly through a wormhole to an entirely different galaxy and leave his family behind for what he thinks is a very long time because old man Michael Caine says so. Oh look at me, I've got Plan-A and Plan-B, except for there is no plan-A you bastard. You faked mathematical equations for 40 years of your life and lied to everyone in your pursuit of "the right thing." Cooper should have known that NASA means "Never A Straight Answer."

QUOTE="MusterX, post: 149428133, member: 102061"]3. Michael Caine didn't believe it was futile. He knew that the people going, his daughter included, would never return but that they would start a colony on a distant planet and it wou[/QUOTE]

Well, to be "fair", this is a movie that proposes that "love" is a genuine physical force (just like gravity or time). Caine faking the math and going on his gut-feeling isn't as grevious as it seems because love is (literally) there to pull Bale out at the end. His gut-feeling isn't just a gut-feeling, its a intuition he's getting from his deep love, just like how Cooper manages to figure out the space-time conundrums by realizing that he can use his love as a link between him and his daughter in space-time.

Its not just hope when you "prove" love to be s (meta?)physical force.

In my mind, this is the films greatest flaw. The science and space-exploration is really visceral and the melodrama does excellent work in anchoring this to human characters. However, when you start proposing that love actually is a force of physics (or metaphysic), that's when I start rolling my eyes. I mean, that's basically what Star Wars does with The Force! It what keeps the movie from being superb and instead just being great. Its just so proposterous! Any other explenation anchored in reality would have been preferable.

@Bullitt68 why aren't you as outraged by this Star Wars-y stuff as I am?

1. Because upper dimensional creatures that we known noth

Those upper-dimension creatures are humans who have fully mastered the time-space secrets. Remember the handprint on the space-ship when they went through the worm-hole? They're literally saved by time-travel!

We had already seen Cooper callously leave his daughter behind at the drop of a hat. I have a 12 year old daughter, trust me, I'm not leaving her behind to go in a space ship to another galaxy on a long shot to maybe save the human race. You are going to have to find some other hero for that job.

Ehh... An almost certain death of your child and the rest of the human race > total extinction.

I'm not the biggest Anne Hathaway fan. IM

I mean I understand its Anne Hathaway but damn that's cold.

Goddamn am I the only one who like Anne Hathway here!?

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

I mean she's tottally hot!

Oh and nice touch Chris, showing how the schools teach that the moon landing was a hoax.

I thought that was hilarious. A total reversal of the conspiracy theory. The Moon landing literally becomes a cover up, instead of... a cover up?

It also works great at communicating Coopers frustration with this new world -- and his humiliation at its goverment-imposed idiocy to discourage space-exploration.

Last edited:
I'm writing this in a fever. Expect more delusions and misspellings than normal.

QUOTE="MusterX, post: 149428133, member: 102061"]3. Michael Caine didn't believe it was futile. He knew that the people going, his daughter included, would never return but that they would start a colony on a distant planet and it wou

I do think she nailed the role.

She just doesn't do it for me.

Hard to explain, so I just refer to her as a human Lisa Simpson.

I used to not care for Jessica Chastain (ever since Zero Dark Thirty) either. I thought she came across too annoying/in your face, etc. But she also nailed her role as Murph.

Overall I think the scene on that water planet with the waves was my favorite.

They just left homeboy there to rot.
<2>

Well, to be "fair", this is a movie that proposes that "love" is a genuine physical force (just like gravity or time). Caine faking the math and going on his gut-feeling isn't as grevious as it seems because love is (literally) there to pull Bale out at the end. His gut-feeling isn't just a gut-feeling, its a intuition he's getting from his deep love, just like how Cooper manages to figure out the space-time conundrums by realizing that he can use his love as a link between them in space-time.

Its not just hope when you "prove" love to be s (meta?)physical force.

In my mind, this is the films greatest flaw. The science and space-exploration is really visceral and the melodrama does excellent work in anchoring this to human characters. However, when you start proposing that love actually is a force of physics (or metaphysic), that's when I start rolling my eyes. I mean, that's basically what Star Wars does with The Force! It what keeps the movie from being superb and instead just being great. Its just so proposterous! Any other explenation anchored in reality would have been preferable.
I don't know if the movie is going that far, unless this is the same joke we always make about the end of INTERSTELLAR being lifted from a CARE BEARS hug.

The Brand family represents two questionable decisions because they were based on love, so I think they're doing a pretty fair illustration of love being a motivation that supersedes logic (rather than say physics). Like, it's kind of fucked up to throw a child's death in your brother's face then burn his fucking farm, too. I think it's this drama and emotion that wins the day for me, but I can't say that love is depicted as an actual actual force here.

Love keeps Coop sane enough to realize how to save humanity. The fact that he winks back to the wormhole just in time to be rescued is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppeeerrrrrrr convenient, but it's not the power of love either. At least I hope not.

I don't know if the movie is going that far, unless this is the same joke we always make about the end of INTERSTELLAR being lifted from a CARE BEARS hug.

The Brand family represents two questionable decisions because they were based on love, so I think they're doing a pretty fair illustration of love being a motivation that supersedes logic (rather than say physics). Like, it's kind of fucked up to throw a child's death in your brother's face then burn his fucking farm, too. I think it's this drama and emotion that wins the day for me, but I can't say that love is depicted as an actual actual force here.

Love keeps Coop sane enough to realize how to save humanity. The fact that he winks back to the wormhole just in time to be rescued is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppeeerrrrrrr convenient, but it's not the power of love either. At least I hope not.

I admit that my brain is boiling with influenza right now, so act like you're talking to a crazy person, ok?

Anne's character says

Love isn’t something we invented. It’s observable, powerful, it has to mean something… Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.

I think Nolan meant us to see this as true.

Loves enables Cooper to navigate the tasseract and find his daughter (or at least her bookcase). As that very cute woman said, love transcends space and time (get it, haha?).

Likewise, love propells people to do their amazing feats. Even Cain with his "ignore the math spiel and thrust in hope" spiel.

No, I'm not saying you're making any of this up. Hathaway also says gravity is what transcends time, which kinda sorta leads to Coop fingerblasting his way to victory, so there is that taint of expository authority. You have merit.

But I rather took Brand's declaration as rationalization in an appeal to sentiment. She knew she was wrong but still had to say something in her defense. I'm not proud to say I made the joke, "well isn't that just like a woman?" because I do believe in the power of emotion over logic, but I would still say that's more a mechanism of decision-making than it is of warping spacetime.

Well, to be "fair", this is a movie that proposes that "love" is a genuine physical force (just like gravity or time). Caine faking the math and going on his gut-feeling isn't as grevious as it seems because love is (literally) there to pull Bale out at the end. His gut-feeling isn't just a gut-feeling, its a intuition he's getting from his deep love, just like how Cooper manages to figure out the space-time conundrums by realizing that he can use his love as a link between them in space-time.

This is a movie about a dude who believes in science. Cooper would never believe that love was an actual force. My mind is still blown that everyone was saved by the power of love.

In my mind, this is the films greatest flaw. The science and space-exploration is really visceral and the melodrama does excellent work in anchoring this to human characters. However, when you start proposing that love actually is a force of physics (or metaphysic), that's when I start rolling my eyes.

giphy.gif

Those upper-dimension creatures are humans who have fully mastered the time-space secrets. Remember the handprint on the space-ship when they went through the worm-hole? They're literally saved by time-travel!

So what was so special about Murph? Murph was the one specifically targeted, it was her room.

Ehh... An almost certain death of your child and the rest of the human race > total extinction.

I would have lived out my life with my family. He came back 125 years later and his daughter was on her deathbed. The Earth was going to die but not that fast.

Goddamn am I the only one who like Anne Hathway here!?

I did feel she bested Emily Blunt in this lipsync contest. She sealed it with the bird at 3:53

I thought that was hilarious. A total reversal of the conspiracy theory. The Moon landing literally becomes a cover up, instead of... a cover up?

What do you mean a reversal? The conspiracy is that we never went to the moon. The movie goes along with that and says yea, we never went to the moon.

I do think she nailed the role.

She just doesn't do it for me.

Hard to explain, so I just refer to her as a human Lisa Simpson.

I used to not care for Jessica Chastain (ever since Zero Dark Thirty) either. I thought she came across too annoying/in your face, etc. But she also nailed her role as Murph.

Overall I think the scene on that water planet with the waves was my favorite.

They just left homeboy there to rot.
<2>

Well they didn't leave him there to rot. He was dead. What do you mean?

What do you mean a reversal? The conspiracy is that we never went to the moon. The movie goes along with that and says yea, we never went to the moon.

Instead of the government doing a cover-up about never going to the moon... they do a cover-up over actually going to the moon. :D

Well they didn't leave him there to rot. He was dead. What do you mean?

I know, I'm just saying they left him behind.

Not that they had much of a choice, but I liked that character.

Caine faking the math and going on his gut-feeling isn't as grevious as it seems because love is (literally) there to pull Bale out at the end. His gut-feeling isn't just a gut-feeling, its a intuition he's getting from his deep love, just like how Cooper manages to figure out the space-time conundrums by realizing that he can use his love as a link between them in space-time.

th

My family would kick the shit out of Caine's descendants for at least 4 generations.

He was a cowardly, lying, piece of shit who took Cooper away from his family based on a lie. What Michael Caine did in that film was as egregious as homicide. He robbed Cooper and his family of their lives because he felt the ends justified the means.

I know, I'm just saying they left him behind.

Not that they had much of a choice, but I liked that character.

Homeboy got wrecked by a 1,000 foot high tsunami which brings up a couple questions for me.

1. How did they survive it? Brand and Cooper jump in their little space shuttle and the wave takes them up to the top then they crash down the other side like a snow sled out of hell, but they don't smash to pieces at the bottom. Keep in mind the water at the bottom was 4 feet deep. They had just been walking around on it.

2. And what was up with the water only being knee deep? They landed in the middle of the oceans and just started walking around. You can reason that they were walking on a large coral shelf of some kind and that even fits with the cause of the giant waves, because that's how tsunami's work, however, a wave of that size would have drained the entire area of water on its approach and we never saw that happen.

Instead of the government doing a cover-up about never going to the moon... they do a cover-up over actually going to the moon. :D

Really? I didn't get that impression. I thought the school was saying it was all a farce, we never went and the reason was because we wanted to bankrupt the Soviet Union. I believe now that what is actually being said in that scene is ambiguous.

Homeboy got wrecked by a 1,000 foot high tsunami which brings up a couple questions for me.

1. How did they survive it? Brand and Cooper jump in their little space shuttle and the wave takes them up to the top then they crash down the other side like a snow sled out of hell, but they don't smash to pieces at the bottom. Keep in mind the water at the bottom was 4 feet deep. They had just been walking around on it.

2. And what was up with the water only being knee deep? They landed in the middle of the oceans and just started walking around. You can reason that they were walking on a large coral shelf of some kind and that even fits with the cause of the giant waves, because that's how tsunami's work, however, a wave of that size would have drained the entire area of water on its approach and we never saw that happen.

Different culture, hard to judge?

But seriously, my guess is that the water was deeper out where the waves were.

And maybe their ship had sonar and they were able to find a shallow place to land (or the previous ship with the data did.)

Sounds plausible.

The Almost Virtual Book of OMGstreefight's Viewing of Interstellar for the 6th Time
interstellar.jpg

(written by Matthew McConaughey)
Okay, okay, okay…

This here is something I’ve been hoping to read for ages (10 Sherdog years is more than a lifetime for most). OMGstreetfight posts with an iron finger, but also strays away from risks. I like that. He has never gotten an infraction, and has a cunning ability to indirectly, but also intentionally miss the point in every thread to make a simple joke while trying to stray the conversation into chaos which is, in fact, annoying. I like that. He hasn’t made a viewing post with the Sherdog Movie club though he’s been with them for over a month. I like that. The man has a method to his chemical imbalance. There’s a point to his posts, but it’s always hidden with an insecure joke that misdirects the reader into thinking he’s a dick. What the hell is with that(I still like it)?

I like the guy and he can really bring it in the berry. Wish I never did Fools Gold, but the money was good and it put me on the map, making me famous. Only because if I wasn’t as famous, I’d out my account and let you know who I was to praise him in person online. Give him the kudos he deserves for acting like an anonymous jackass.

Back in 2019, in the month of February, I heard a knock on my Malibu trailer door, and my man OMGSF had a bottle of brandy and a notebook. He told me “We needed to get through these 9 dollars of VSOP and you need to write down an OP foreward" for this viewing post he wrote.

Well, having drank about 9 fingers and a mouthful of absinthe I sit here thinking about how well this viewing post is. It brings me back to the production of the 2001 hit movie The Wedding Planner. It was a cold autumn morning in June, and the snow was practically up to the windows of my Santa Clarita trailer. I had a horrible day as Mrs. Lopez (contractually had to call her that) apparently had to take her bi-hourly sex sesh break with the older Affleck. Those breaks gave me time to read the notes Mrs. Lopez gave to the producers every morning. This viewing is reminiscent of those incoherent ramblings. She’d write down her opinion on something she hated and then immediately contradict those statements with praise on the next page. Knowing that there were some real sweethearts in the movie producing world, I felt bad for them trying to dissect and understand what she really wanted. Did she like it or hate it? They had to bring on a second writer to write the opposite of her notes just to have a back up incase she got mad and upped her mandatory bi-hourly Affleck sesh to bi-hourly(2 times an hour instead of every other hour). OMGSF really hits the Mrs. Lopez angle when writing this viewing post. Hits it almost as hard as I hit one of my Wedding Planner co stars Justin Chambers (likes to be called Justin. I like that) with a killer snowball to the cortex while we were waiting for Mrs. Lopez to clean up after lunch sex.

Just sit back, grab a couple fingers of VSOP and enjoy this OP--but very Lopezy-- viewing of OMGstreetfight’s interpretation of Interstellar.

Good-bye, Good-bye, Good-bye,

-Matty

It took me a long time to get this post. I’m sorry for that. The story goes: I thought I owned this movie-- I mean, I KNEW I owned this movie, but I didn’t know I hid it from myself. I don’t buy many movies anymore since I’m a cheap bastard, but I bought this specifically because I weeped liked a new born that was 4 pounds too light during it. I guess that meant I liked it? I don’t know, BUT I NEEDED TO SEE IT AGAIN to experience those childlike feelings that were so real.

I’ve searched for it for the last few days, panicking that I was going to have to watch it in that way we’re not allowed to talk about on sherdog. I respect that, but also don’t want to ruin the experience of this movie with pixels and pauses and shit. Don’t even get me started on how much of a deal I made buying that damn bluray.

So the version I got had a 70mm film cell that came with it. Okay, but before you jump up on your high, 20 hands horse understand that I know that it was mass produced, and it was a very cost effective way to market the bluray, BUT the film cell I got was one of McConaughey looking at space for the first time in the movie. I could have gotten a dud of a shitty one of the younger Affleck burning shit, but I didn’t, I got good old Coop smiling like a bandit. Don’t get me started again on where I put that film cell.

I don’t know where I put that film cell! What the fuck? I think I was using it as a bookmark. I could have put it away for safe keeping when I had to move on the drop of a hat and packed all of my stuff, only finding out that I didn’t have to move the next day. Don’t get me started on that.

I’m not.

Back to finding the Bluray—> (Imagine a Back to The Future logo remixed with those words) In that time where I packed all of my stuff in a day, I put all my movies in a big, black, plastic chest(easy…). I knew where it was, but I just didn’t unpack all of my movies because I’m a streaming service slave (sorry people who get easily offended by that non-offensively used words. I was just using alliteration. Jesus), so I never really had a need to get to my movies anymore. I mean, what year is this, 2010? So now I have to find my movie and watch it like Obama is president?

I have a milk crate full of all of my preferred movies that I’d want to watch on a drop of a hat because they aren’t streaming. It’d make sense If I put it in that crate. Well my actions rarely make sense. Now I have to go into my closet and dig in to this black chest (calm it…). The one problem is that my closet isn’t big and there are 2 chests in my closet jammed behind a lot of bullshit. Well my movie chest is the one on the bottom, so I have a lot of black chest digging (alright, that was intentional) to do. So I put it off.

Yesterday was the day to watch it. I finally dug everything out to only find that it’s not there. What in the ever-loving, shit-stabbing christ-fuck? Now I’m in a moment of confusion. I don’t store movies anywhere else. Am I actually going to have to risk getting distracted with animated virtual porn adds finding this movie online? So I sleep on it and dream a furious nightmare of tearing down my apartment, cutting through the walls, and finding everything but the movie. Which means I found love in the worst place. The therapist say that’s normal dreaming about fucking a large hole in the wall, so back off. I was in a state of confusion.

I woke up depressed, defeated, and dominated (boom: alliterated) not knowing how I’m going to go about seeing this. Would I really betray my good man McConaughey? europe1 has already given me the dreaded warning post that he might take me out of the club. I’ve only been kicked out of one club and that was band when I was in 5th grade. No, don’t you dare get me started on that shit. Fuck you.

I wasn’t interested so I never brought my trumpet in.

I had a moment of fuck this. I knew it was in that black chest (I’m going for it), and if I had to, I’d dig into as deep as I needed to, even if I destroyed some pride along the way. Well, if that quote about doing things over and over and expecting a different result means you're a murderous psychopath, just call me Gacy because I was doing it anyway. I tear that chest open like a hungry surgeon that knew the cafeteria was closing in 20 minutes. I found so much shit that I couldn’t believe I still owned and just threw it over my shoulders looting this chest until... there it was. Hiding like a fawn that just lost her mom and couldn’t find a family of animals in the forest to sing it a song and lead it to a happier life. I had to nurse this poor little thing and my tits were full of delicious movie watching milk.

Oh my gawd, y’all. It was a miracle! I contradicted that old, unspecific quote that wasn’t directed at my problem and made it my bitch! Fuck you quote person, make a more accurate quote specific to my interstellar bluray findings! I feel like a newborn again!

So now you get to read this, this TLDR viewing. But feed your dog first.

I’d like to thank @europe1 for pressuring me with loss of membership to get me to post. I’d also like to thank the creator of God. If it wasn’t for him athletes wouldn’t do as well.

The Viewing

1 Dope Shit​
The Nolan Opening shot. Look at that bookshelf. What a psychopath. Coop doesn’t alphabetize his bookshelf? Sure Coop seems like a possible psychopath in the beginning, but he loves his kids too much, so that lowers his status to asshole. Shit, what if Coop didn’t have children, he could have been a Gacy? Should have been a better pilot, that psychopath in him had to come out after the crash. Okay, back to the shelf. That dust, both the ships, and the books are basically the whole film in a piece of 3D art. A little pretentious for art to be 3D in my opinion. Why not just paint it? Never mind that. It’s on film, so I like it.

That ode to Kubrik’s 2001 sting that Zimmie-boy did was dope shit. 2001 was about the beginning and beyond, so was this. The people of the world were at their end and moving on to a new beginning, and hopefully beyond. Dope shit, boy-ee. I noticed in the first few minutes of the movie Coop has basically be speaking in foreshadowy expressions. Smart but a little annoying, but also weird because thats what James Franco does in Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg movies. Who would want to make an oscar winning movie stealing from a James Franco character? If you’re going to steal from a Franco character, there are so many better dialogue choices to steal from in Spring Breakers like, “look at all my shit” and "I got Scarface on repeat.” Their visual effects oscar was a fraud.

The Young version of young Affleck is plumb dumb, son. He was going to drive off a cliff. Is that called Affleck’s Law? *ʳᶦᵐˢʰᵒᵗ* Don't you just wish one time Ben fell—or was driven-- to Affleck’s law? At least for the back tattoo. Also, bullshit on that stellar landing with the stolen Indian drone. They’re going to war with India and he’s getting her fingerprints involved? They’ll be after her! That son of a bitch Coop is a fraud. I call psychopath! Another thing. He's guiding her finger the whole way! More goddamn foreshadowing from Coop! He’s Francoing it!

But it was good timing for Coop to go to space after stealing that drone from India. I’ll give him that. A true con artist he is that Coop. He knew he had to get out of dodge before India brought the wrath. I always wondered if at this point in our world, would a nation’s leader from somewhere get too depressed and overwhelmed, go full Gacy, and start a nuclear war just to be the person to push the button that would start the Doomsday Machine? That means Murphy’s finger could be the one that incited a nation’s leader to incite the Doomsday Machine. But it’d be all Coop. That sly psychopath.

2 Code Corn​
I’m a little miffed that colleges are basically turning down people’s education for corn. The world will be diabetic in a decade if that’s the only crop. I’m happy that young young Affleck is getting rejected from college from school though, fuck that dude. High school is basically saying that this dude isn’t worth the application and would waste the university’s time. He needs to go back to that cliff on his own and see if he can find another drone at the bottom. But teaching conspiracy theories to children is the ultimate we’ve given up, deal with it moment. It takes the ultimate con artist psychopath to change his ways and be the only one not to give up. Con him an Alien race into giving up and leave their planet. Wouldn't have to deal with any black holes, and would have to deal with a 90 year time jump. He’d be able to see his kids grow, and 50% of them have potential. It’s all coming together that this was his ultimate goal. The drone started it all. He needed to cover his tracks at home, so why not start a nuclear war?

I’ve been through dust storms maybe 1/4th of that one, and they were still bad. These people are living rough. Why the hell does everyone want to stay on the earth. How the hell is the space program underground? They want to live in dust hurricanes every week? This is based at the end of my projected lifetime! I could be the 3rd Rock From the Sun dude in this because I’d be around that age. I don’t want to be the nanny for the dust! I ain’t never that dumb.

So if you find a way to break into NASA you’re a member? That’s just upping Coop’s Gacy level substantially, and enabling him to clown-on. I don’t know if there’s a graph to measure how much it’ll up him to, or care to come up with one, but I’m sure he’s going to break records that the original Gacy couldn’t reach in his lifetime. So let me get this straight, Coop found Nasa from those coordinates, it was in driving distance, and yet he didn’t see all those other secret launches? He left in the middle of the day, maybe evening, so he didn’t drive that far. I lived in Florida and you could see the launches pretty well from driving distance. He also has the tech to see it. Dude must have really been focused on his ultimate plan or corn each time.

Well, the Nolan bros got ripped off by Ridley Scott with Alien: Covenant. Ridley just added this Aliens to his mission to plant a human bomb on another planet, and included a dark ending. I’m sure McConaughey was crammed somewhere in it too. Times are grim when a guy like Scott starts remaking movies that were great. That was the sign of our destruction. I smell a dust bowl around the corn--

--errrr More foreshadow talk with Coop, this time it’s about him being the ghost. That's speaking in gravity from the future and no one is hearing it. Do they not know what love sounds like? They need a poet around at all times to interpret his predictions. If someone were there to read the subtext of Coop’s words, they could have solved that equation before the launch, hell, maybe before lunch. Take note to always have a poet on a NASA site ready 24 hrs to dissect a soothsaying pilot’s words like Coop’s. Even more so if the world is ending at a substantial rate. They just reached Code Okra and that means theres no time left. If we get to Code Corn we might as well take another Indian drone out. Or a plane. Code Suffocate is too sad. Doing all of that would eliminate Coop being a bad dad, always hanging out by the black holes with the Hathaway girl from down the street for almost a century. You’d think they’d marry by then. I thought that I lacked the ability to commit, yeeesh (boom: 90’s woman joke). Maybe the 22nd century is their time for non gravity-inspired love.

If they’d of hired a poet, they’d already have a family by the end, and not one of those disgusting preemie tube baby families either.

3 Velvet Paintings​
Is Coop coming on to his daughter? He seems a little too excited with the idea of returning from his mission as the same age as Murph. Gross. I may be reaching, but you have no clue what goes through a Gacy’s mind when he’s scheming. BAM, there’s my 70mm film cell I can’t find. I’ll find it one day when I don’t want it anymore because because I’m mad and bitter, thinking the Nolans are old hacks.
So Coop just made me feel a little safer for the human race if he could trick a robot to revealing a secret. They just don’t understand subtext either. I guess it is difficult in the future without poets. The introduction to Saturn was amazing in theaters, but on my tv it only looks like a velvet painting. A bad velvet painting at that. Not even one leopard, lion, or tiger on it, and not one Native American or horse! Subpar. I’m going to need a bigger screen to appreciate this or I’m just gonna keep throwing out ideas for flea market standard art.

I’m now noticing more and more that this movie tears through time with no apologies. The cuts are at such dramatic points that it makes the time jump a lot more jarring. Like when Murph finally grew the marbles to say bye to Coop, she was too late. Next thing you see is Coop in space getting ready to sleep, and in a blink of an eye, he’s awake 2 years later watching video messages from his dumb, uneducated-dickhead son. And they’re not even at the hole yet. Damn, coop is comparing themselves to explorers. This is backing up my psychopath theory. Have you heard of a non-genocidal explorer? He’s reveling in the idea of that title. Total Gacy-like thought.

Now CASE is my kind of robot. He’s the quiet subtle guy that speaks rarely but when he does it’s hilarity. Not that annoying and everyone likes him. TARS is cool and all, but he doesn’t shut the fuck up. He’s like those two old pedo puppets in the rafters of sesame street. Cut that shit out, dude. I bet you couldn’t trick CASE the same way as that dickhole TARS. He got distracted by his own wit. My man CASE don’t fall for that lower level shit.

4 Affleck’s Law​
Those are mountains, y’all! Take another note that if you want to be a space explorer, you need to be more explosive if you want to lessen you chancing of wasting literal time in extreme gravity. I think that’s something achievable, having juiced out astronauts. They’d all be Goslings and Hathaways, making NASA sexy again. Imagine the revenue they could pull ing from the calendars alone? I can’t believe Hathaway wasted all that time, killing the blue-eyed devil like that. Couldn’t even grab all that precious data. Now they’re surfing a swell that almost destroys their fucking ranger. Now she has to blame our Coop? He’s trying to change, and now she’s just Gacying him. Fucking enabler.

Returning to all those messages from his kids was making my feel like a newborn again. Pathetic. Coop got Hathaway’d with a black hole which then Branded him as a bad dad in Murph’s eyes. Them Hathaways just have no respect for time, or diamonds (just saw Ocean’s 8 recently). I couldn’t care less about young Affleck’s shithead life. He was a C student and couldn’t even prove to high school that he was worth college. Their mom must have been a total idiot, because I don’t know how the hell that whole is family smart and the Affleck is a dud? Their mailman must be a meat-headed stud. Never returned though, so where are all the good fathers? Affleck’s Law.

Oh shit, Hathaway is get sucked to the right planet with love, and everyone isn’t hearing it. She’s displaying pilot-like traits foreseeing the future like that. The power of love (Huey Lewis!!!!) is pulling her in, but no one in the crew is a poet, so they can’t read the subtext. They see it but don’t believe it, not pretentious enough. What’s with this grounded crew? They need to expand their minds, man. They’re in space. “Love is one that we’re capable of perceiving that transcends through time and space.” Fucking Hathaway knows how this movie ends, so why doesn’t she explain?! is she related to Dr. Strange? Jesus Christ.

So if you look at that delicious yellow corn filled meal, and the background in the kitchen, corn is everywhere. It littered about the whole house. They’re reliant on that shit so much. I’m telling you, the world is ending before everyone loses their foot to not being able to control their sugar levels? How the hell could they survive on all of that in 2 decades? Their butts had to go through a quick evolution process.

They’re driving off a cliff of corn, and if that’s possible it will happen. Affleck’s Law.

5 Wrong Kid Died​
A ll fathers are assoles hiding information from their daughters. This movie is anti-father. Now Alfred is lying about his equation because all fathers are trying to protect their children in the film. Well, that wasted a lot of time that could only be made up by a future Murph that was guided by Coop with wormhole skills. Alfred lied to the wrong daughter. She wasn’t wasn’t even his, that’s cold blooded. Bad enough he was a worse father to Hathaway, sending her on a hopeless mission to save the people of earth. Fucking butlers and their so-call love.

Matt Damon and his lies. I fucking hate him in this movie, that jerk. They couldn’t even foreshadow that he was even in it, but everything else was foreshadowed. I thought for sure he was an ex machina for just being in the movie during my first viewing, but now having seen it, I know that was just a distraction for him being a super villain. I wouldn’t want him to harness the power of gravity, somehow his negative ass would doom the whole human race with his villainous love. Knowing that plan A was a sham all along… He’s worse than a butler. A true explorer that is in full Gacy at this point. He’s off the charts.

I like their decision to send TARS into the black hole. He doesn’t need to be around much with a smart mouth like that. See how his gargantuan mouth compares to that un-fathomly massive hole of love. CASE is a great sidekick to Coop like R2D2 was to Luke Skywalker. TARS was more like Nightrider trying to steal the show from Hasselhoff.

Young Affleck is just as dumb as he was when he was 16. Fucking idiot can’t even listen to the original Venom, who, yes is a little crazy, but is a fucking doctor. No one can slap sense into this guy, not even Ben himself. He’s a lost cause. if i were Murph and Venom, I’d kidnap his kid à la that Nicolas Cage movie in the desert. As long as the heist is funny, it’d be acceptable.

Fucking Matt Damon is Gacy-Platinum right not. He’s been aging for years and the agave is at it’s ripe age of villainry. Lecturing in cynical, but inspiring diatribes is muy caliente. For on thing, he needs to stop thinking out loud, that fucking attention whore. Let Coop die without hearing your voice and suffocate without that rambling in his head. How dare he kill the best sidekick robot known to man. How can Matt Damon do this to CASE? I can’t handle another minute of TARS. Why couldn’t it be him? Wrong kid died. I can’t handle this right now.

6 Huey Lewis and The News​
Huey Lewis and the News burst out of San Francisco onto the national music scene at the beginning of the decade, with their self-titled rock pop album released by Chrysalis, though they really didn’t come into their own, commercially or artistically, until their 1983 smash, Sports. Though their roots were visible (blues, Memphis soul, country) on Huey Lewis and the News they seemed a little too willing to cash in on the late seventies/early eighties taste for New Wave, and the album—though it’s still a smashing debut—seems a little too stark, too punk. Examples of this being the drumming on the first single, “Some of My Lies Are True (Sooner or Later),” and the fake handclaps on “Don’t Make Me Do It” as well as the organ on “Taking a Walk.” Even though it was a little bit strained, their peppy boy-wants-girl lyrics and the energy with which Lewis, as a lead singer, instilled all the songs were refreshing. Having a great lead guitarist like Chris Hayes (who also shares vocals) doesn’t hurt either. Hayes’ solos are as original and unrehearsed as any in rock. Yet the keyboardist, Sean Hopper, seemed too intent on playing the organ a little too mechanically (though his piano playing on the second half of the album gets better) and Bill Gibson’s drumming was too muted to have much impact. The songwriting also didn’t mature until much later, though many of the catchy songs had hints of longing and regret and dread (“Stop Trying” is just one example).

Though the boys hail from San Francisco and they share some similarities with their Southern California counterparts, the Beach Boys (gorgeous harmonies, sophisticated vocalizing, beautiful melodies—they even posed with a surfboard on the cover of the debut album), they also carried with them some of the bleakness and nihilism of the (thankfully now forgotten) “punk rock” scene of Los Angeles at the time. Talk about your Angry Young Man!—listen to Huey on “Who Cares,” “Stop Trying,” “Don’t Even Tell Me That You Love Me,” “Trouble in Paradise” (the titles say it all). Huey hits his notes like an embittered survivor and the band often sounds as angry as performers like the Clash or Billy Joel or Blondie. No one should forget that we have Elvis Costello to thank for discovering Huey in the first place. Huey played harmonica on Costello’s second record, the thin, vapid My Aim Was You. Lewis has some of Costello’s supposed bitterness, though Huey has a more bitter, cynical sense of humor. Elvis might think that intellectual wordplay is as important as having a good time and having one’s cynicism tempered by good spirits, but I wonder what he thinks about Lewis selling so many more records than he?

Things looked up for Huey and the boys on the second album, 1982’s Picture This, which yielded two semihits, “Workin’ for a Livin’” and “Do You Believe in Love,” and the fact that this coincided with the advent of video (there was one made for both songs) undoubtedly helped sales. The sound, though still tinged with New Wave trappings, seemed more roots-rock than the previous album, which might have something to do with the fact that Bob Clearmountain mixed the record or that Huey Lewis and the News took over the producing reins. Their songwriting grew more sophisticated and the group wasn’t afraid to quietly explore other genres—notably reggae (“Tell Her a Little Lie”) and ballads (“Hope You Love Me Like You Say” and “Is It Me?”). But for all its power-pop glory, the sound and the band seem, gratefully, less rebellious, less angry on this record (though the blue-collar bitterness of “Workin’ for a Livin’” seems like an outtake from the earlier album). They seem more concerned with personal relationships—four of the album’s ten songs have the word “love” in their title—rather than strutting around as young nihilists, and the mellow good-times feel of the record is a surprising, infectious change.

The band is playing better than it last did and the Tower of Power horns give the record a more open, warmer sound. The album hits its peak with the back-to-back one-two punch of “Workin’ for a Livin’” and “Do You Believe in Love,” which is the best song on the album and is essentially about the singer asking a girl he’s met while “looking for someone to meet” if she “believes in love.” The fact that the song never resolves the question (we never find out what the girl says) gives it an added complexity that wasn’t apparent on the group’s debut. Also on “Do You Believe in Love” is a terrific sax solo by Johnny Colla (the guy gives Clarence Clemons a run for his money), who, like Chris Hayes on lead guitar and Sean Hopper on keyboards, has by now become an invaluable asset to the band (the sax solo on the ballad “Is It Me?” is even stronger). Huey’s voice sounds more searching, less raspy, yet plaintive, especially on “The Only One,” which is a touching song about what happens to our mentors and where they end up (Bill Gibson’s drumming is especially vital to this track). Though the album should have ended on that powerful note, it ends instead with “Buzz Buzz Buzz,” a throwaway blues number that doesn’t make much sense compared to what preceded it, but in its own joky way it amuses and the Tower of Power horns are in excellent form.

There are no such mistakes made on the band’s third album and flawless masterpiece, Sports (Chrysalis). Every song has the potential to be a huge hit and most of them were. It made the band rock ‘n’ roll icons. Gone totally is the bad-boy image, and a new frat-guy sweetness takes over (they even have the chance to say “ass” in one song and choose to bleep it instead). The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that gives the songs on the album a big boost. And the wacky, original videos made to sell the record (“Heart and Soul,” “The Heart of Rock ‘n’ Roll,” “If This Is It,” “Bad Is Bad,” “I Want a New Drug”) made them superstars on MTV.

Produced by the band, Sports opens with what will probably become their signature song, “The Heart of Rock ‘n Roll,” a loving ode to rock ‘n’ roll all over the United States. It’s followed by “Heart and Soul,” their first big single, which is a trademark Lewis song (though it’s written by outsiders Michael Chapman and Nicky Chinn) and the tune that firmly and forever established them as the premier rock band in the country for the 1980s. If the lyrics aren’t quite up to par with other songs, most of them are more than serviceable and the whole thing is a jaunty enterprise about what a mistake one-night stands are (a message the earlier, rowdier Huey would never have made). “Bad Is Bad,” written solely by Lewis, is the bluesiest song the band had recorded up to this point and Mario Cipollina’s bass playing gets to shine on it, but it’s really Huey’s harmonica solos that give it an edge. “I Want a New Drug,” with its killer guitar riff (courtesy of Chris Hayes), is the album’s centerpiece—not only is it the greatest antidrug song ever written, it’s also a personal statement about how the band has grown up, shucked off their bad-boy image and learned to become more adult. Hayes’ solo on it is incredible and the drum machine used, but not credited, gives not only “I Want a New Drug” but most of the album a more consistent backbeat than any of the previous albums—even though Bill Gibson is still a welcome presence.

The rest of the album whizzes by flawlessly—side two opens with their most searing statement yet: “Walking on a Thin Line,” and no one, not even Bruce Springsteen, has written as devastatingly about the plight of the Vietnam vet in modern society. This song, though written by outsiders, shows a social awareness that was new to the band and proved to anyone who ever doubted it that the band, apart from its blues background, had a heart. And again in “Finally Found a Home” the band proclaims its newfound sophistication with this paean to growing up. And though at the same time it’s about shedding their rebel image, it’s also about how they “found themselves” in the passion and energy of rock ‘n’ roll. In fact the song works on so many levels it’s almost too complex for the album to carry, though it never loses its beat and it still has Sean Hopper’s ringing keyboards, which make it danceable. “If This Is It” is the album’s one ballad, but it’s not downbeat. It’s a plea for a lover to tell another lover if they want to carry on with the relationship, and the way Huey sings it (arguably the most superb vocal on the album), it becomes instilled with hope. Again, this song—as with the rest of the album—isn’t about chasing or longing after girls, it’s about dealing with relationships. “Crack Me Up” is the album’s only hint at a throwback to the band’s New Wave days and it’s minor but amusing, though its antidrinking, antidrug, pro-growing-up statement isn’t.

And as a lovely ending to an altogether remarkable album, the band does a version of “Honky Tonk Blues” (another song written by someone not in the band, named Hank Williams), and even though it’s a very different type of song, you can feel its presence throughout the rest of the album. For all its professional sheen, the album has the integrity of honky-tonk blues. (Aside: During this period Huey also recorded two songs for the movie Back to the Future, which both went Number One, “The Power of Love” and “Back in Time,” delightful extras, not footnotes, in what has been shaping up into a legendary career.) What to say to Sports dissenters in the long run? Nine million people can’t be wrong.

Fore! (Chrysalis; 1986) is essentially a continuation of the Sports album but with an even more professional sheen. This is the record where the guys don’t need to prove they’ve grown up and that they’ve accepted rock ‘n’ roll, because in the three year transition between Sports and Fore! they already had. (In fact three of them are wearing suits on the cover of the record.) It opens with a blaze of fire, “Jacob’s Ladder,” which is essentially a song about struggle and overcoming compromise, a fitting reminder of what Huey and the News represents, and with the exception of “Hip to Be Square” it’s the best song on the album (though it wasn’t written by anyone in the band). This is followed by the sweetly good-matured “Stuck with You,” a lightweight paean to relationships and marriage. In fact most of the love songs on the album are about sustained relationships, unlike the early albums, where the concerns were about either lusting after girls and not getting them or getting burned in the process. On Fore! the songs are about guys who are in control (who have the girls) and now have to deal with them. This new dimension in the News gives the record an added oomph and they seem more content and satisfied, less urgent, and this makes for their most pleasingly crafted record to date. But also for every “Doing It All for My Baby” (a delightful ode about monogamy and satisfaction) there’s a barn-banning blues scorcher number like “Whole Lotta Lovin’,” and side one (or, on the CD, song number five) ends with the masterpiece “Hip to Be Square” (which, ironically, is accompanied by the band’s only bad video), the key song on Fore!; which is a rollicking ode to conformity that’s so catchy most people probably don’t even listen to the lines, but with Chris Hayes blasting guitar and the terrific keyboard playing who cares? And it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends—it’s also a personal statement about the band itself, though of what I’m not quite sure.

If the second part of Fore! doesn’t have the intensity of the first, there are some real gems that are actually quite complicated. “I Know What I Like” is a song that Huey would never have sung six years back—a blunt declaration of independence—while the carefully placed “I Never Walk Alone,” which follows, actually complements the song and explains it in broader terms (it also has a great organ solo and except for “Hip to Be Square” has Huey’s strongest vocals). “Forest for the Trees” is an upbeat antisuicide tract, and though its title might seem like a clich'e, Huey and the band have a way of energizing clich'es and making them originals wholly their own. The nifty a cappella “Naturally” evokes an innocent time while showcasing the band’s vocal harmonies (if you didn’t know better you’d think it was the Beach Boys coming out of your CD player), and even if it’s essentially a throwaway, a trifle of sorts, the album ends on a majestic note with “Simple as That,” a blue-collar ballad that sounds not a note of resignation but one of hope, and its complex message (it wasn’t written by anyone in the band) of survival leads the way to their next album, Small World, where they take on global issues. Fore! might not be the masterpiece Sports is (what could be?), but in its own way it’s just as satisfying and the mellower, gentler Huey of ‘86 is just as happening.

Small World (Chrysalis; 1988) is the most ambitious, artistically satisfying record yet produced by Huey Lewis and the News. The Angry Young Man has definitely been replaced by a smoothly professional musician and even though Huey has only really mastered one instrument (the harmonica), its majestic Dylanesque sounds give Small World a grandeur few artists have reached. It’s an obvious transition and their first album that tries to make thematic sense—in fact Huey takes on one of the biggest subjects of all: the importance of global communication. It’s no wonder four out of the album’s ten songs have the word “world” in their titles and that for the first time there’s not only one but three instrumentals.

The CD gets off to a rousing start with the Lewis/Hayes-penned “Small World (Part One),” which, along with its message of harmony, has a blistering solo by Hayes at its center. In “Old Antone’s” one can catch the zydeco influences that the band has picked up on touring around the country, and it gives it a Cajun flavor that is utterly unique. Bruce Hornsby plays the accordion wonderfully and the lyrics give you a sense of a true Bayou spirit. Again, on the hit single “Perfect World,” the Tower of Power horns are used to extraordinary effect. It’s also the best cut on the album (written by Alex Call, who isn’t in the band) and it ties up all the album’s themes—about accepting the imperfections of this world but still learning to “keep on dreamin’ of livin’ in a perfect world.” Though the sang is fastpaced pop it’s still moving in terms of its intentions and the band plays splendidly on it. Oddly this is followed by two instrumentals: the eerie African-influenced reggae dance track “Bobo Tempo” and the second part of “Small World.” But just because these tunes are wordless doesn’t mean the global message of communication is lost, and they don’t seem like filler or padding because of the implications of their thematic reprise; the band gets to show off its improvisational skills as well.

Side two opens smashingly with “Walking with the Kid,” the first Huey song to acknowledge the responsibilities of fatherhood. His voice sounds mature and even though we, as listeners, don’t find out until the last line that “the kid” (who we assume is a buddy) is actually his son, the maturity in Huey’s voice tips us off and it’s hard to believe that the man who once sang “Heart and Soul” and “Some of My Lies Are True” is singing this. The album’s big ballad, “World to Me,” is a dreamy pearl of a song, and though it’s about sticking together in a relationship, it also makes allusions to China and Alaska and Tennessee, carrying on the album’s “Small World” theme—and the band sounds really good on it. “Better Be True” is also a bit of a ballad, but it’s not a dreamy pearl and its lyrics aren’t really about sticking together in a relationship nor does it make allusions to China or Alaska and the band sounds really good on it.

“Give Me the Keys (And I’ll Drive You Crazy)” is a good-times blues rocker about (what else?) driving around, incorporating the album’s theme in a much more playful way than previous songs on the album did, and though lyrically it might seem impoverished, it’s still a sign that the new “serious” Lewis—that Huey the artist hasn’t totally lost his frisky sense of humor. The album ends with “Slammin’,” which has no words and it’s just a lot of horns that quite frankly, if you turn it up really loud, can give you a fucking big headache and maybe even make you feel a little sick, though it might sound different on an album or on a cassette though I wouldn’t know anything about that. Anyway it set off something wicked in me that lasted for days. And you cannot dance to it very well.

It took something like a hundred people to put Small World together (counting all the extra musicians, drum technicians, accountants, lawyers—who are all, thanked), but this actually adds to the CD’s theme of community and it doesn’t clutter the record—it makes it a more joyous experience. With this CD and the four previous ones behind it, Huey Lewis and the News prove that if this really is a small world, then these guys are the best American band of the 1980s on this or any other continent—and it has with it Huey Lewis, a vocalist, musician and writer who just can’t be topped. -ʙʀᴇᴛ ᴇᴀsᴛᴏɴ ᴇʟʟɪs

Last edited by a moderator:
7 Time to Worry About Relativity​
What the fuck? I thought CASE was in that explosion. They changed the movie on me! I was mourning over bitch-ass TARS? It would have been a miracle if he died, but he fucking survived? I’m shattered.

A moment of silence is observed for his survival.

Fuck yeah, Venom is doing the right thing and kidnapping young Affleck’s family. Took him long enough to make that decision. It would have taken me a second to know that Affleck’s Law was in full effect in that house, and it was a black hole of insufferable ignorance. At least he’s doing what Murph couldn’t do. I guess she’s only a scientist. How is she going to survive the end of the world if she can’t get a few kidnappings out of the way? She needs to watch Children of Men. That red head did it right.

How does Matt Damon not the know the airlock is going to kill him? He has about 11 failsafes warning him and he’s still breaking through. He’s supposed to be some master scientist with a genius of one that could compare to Stephen Hawking, but can’t figure out that airlock debacle? Good riddance if you ask me. He just got demoted from Gacy to OJ. Could only have the balls to kill once.

I don’t know who did a better job at that docking scene, McConaughey, Nolan, or Zimmie-boy. One of the most exhilarating parts of the movie. Cooper gets a true hero status after that. Using Murphy’s Law to override the certainty of AI. NASA was right that there wasn’t a trained pilot or machine that could do what Coop does.

“Neither one of us has the time to worry about relativity, Dr. Brand.” Well, Coop lost the Gacy in him. I kind of miss that jackass, but this guy finally seems to care, and at such a grim time. He needs another crash and dead wife to set him back to his evil ways, but not until they plant their human bomb. AKA- future stolen material for Ridley to use.

I’m still waiting on the Indian space army to disrupt everything with a furious vengeance. Don’t think I forgot about that, Nolans.

8 Saturn Child​
Great! TARS is the one that gets sucked into the black hole. At least it wasn’t CASE. He’s the future sidekick still. At least my memory didn’t change with that. I am a little displeased that Hathaway got him though. Still the good news is I didn’t get another surprise with that metal jerk off TARS surviving Gargantua. TARS needs a good black hole melt to shut that trap and never bother another human again with his "hilarious" sarcastic comments. Bye-bye, jerkbot.

The Black Hole, AKA Gargantua, AKA The Hole of Love, AKA Coop’s Love Hole.

I’ve wondered each time watching this, is the voice that's screaming “eject” Murph? It doesn’t sound like any other computerized voice aboard those ships, and Hathaway got a message from coop while inside the wormhole as she was shaking hands with “them" to “stop”. So it could have easily been the person to figure those black holes (Murph) out and send a recording into the black hole. It was either her or Hathaway because it was a lady’s voice, though Brand didn’t know shit about Gargantua other than what she new before Murph’s future breakthrough.

Logically, yes, I know that Coop has an infinite amount of time to find the right place in time to set up all these messages to Murph. But emotionally, I would feel rushed and turn me completely into a wreck trying to find the right places. How the hell do you navigate this? Love is leading him, right? How could he trust that and his heart to lead him? One wrong turn can lead him down a timeline so far away away he could get lost in his own relative time. Is love leading him to the right place? It could only mean gravity which is powered by love is pulling him to the correct shelves and right? Actually sounds pretty simple. It seems like Coop notices this, but is still panicking. What a bitchy hero. He’s nowhere near the Gacy I once knew.

Okay, I REMEMBER TARS didn’t reunite with Coop. This better be the last time we hear his voice, as he communicates the quantum data. Why are they worrying about sending the data to Murph as a kid? They have an infinite amount of time to visit every moment Murph has been in that room. He could have easily been led by her love to that time where she’s an adult and realizes that Coop was the ghost. Then he could have sent her all that data? He and TARS just figured all of this out, but can’t figure out how to reach her as an adult? Where the hell is CASE when you need him? Oh yeah, with that 25 year wasting mean girl Hathaway.

Now he gets it. It’s like Coop never saw this movie or something. How did I forget all of this? He doesn’t need to reply on the watch! Just knock over books when she’s staring at the case as an adult! Whatever at least she could travel with the watch. Fuck sitting in front of that bookcase.

And leaving the hole we get another nod from Zimmy to 2001, as Coop enters a new phase man advances to. All out of the shear will to survive. Something humans have more than any other major animal on earth. We got ourselves a Saturn child, and he flies a ship.

9 Coop and TARS
Why won’t you die, TARS? Actually, TARS can survive better than a fucking human. He's the next overlord. WHY? What did I do to have to know you survived? My mind is spinning with confusion and embarrassment because I thought you were gone with the 5th dimensional people, and away from any chance of being an annoyance to this movie. Why Can’t I just see CASE once more time with Coop? This movie is booming with actual disappointment for me. No wrong kid died, and I’m quite sad because I don’t know this movie as well as I thought I did. My ego is all I have, and I don’t think I can find a mission as similar to Coop’s to breakthrough and de-Gacy myself. Fuck reuniting with his daughter, he needs to find a away to shoot that robot into space where it can sing jokes to the stars until it's power cell dies. This is utterly frustrating knowing that this changed Coop actually accepts TARS. I thought he was a CASE man. People can’t change, dammit. I don’t want to believe that. Worse lesson in any movie ever.

Murph being that old broad mixed in with the dustbowl footage was some clever shit there, Nolan. Pulling the wool over my eyes like that, you sly devil. Dope shit, man. And BOOM, no more bad father status for Coop. He kept the one promise we never thought he would keep, promising that he would come back. New Lesson: all it takes is to keep one promise to your child and they forgive you for ever other fuck up in your life. Nice, maybe this having kids things isn’t so tough as it’s cracked up to be.

And just like that, Coop moves on to the next step in human existence. Sent away and back to Hathaway, waiting for another wormhole to appear after they destroy that planet. Well, at least that’s what the sequel should be. This is a trilogy, right? I hope not. If it is, that’s what I’d lean into, stealing 2001’s ideas the way Ridley is stole theirs? Everyone has been stealing from 2001 forever, why stop now?

Man I hope once Coop meets up with Hathaway, he drops a couple human bombs inside her. Love and Other Drugs made me hope I could drop some human bombs with her assistance, but reality kicked in, so I resorted for the toilet.

Conclusion:​
This film definitely brought on the feelings. Always has for me. Though it has it’s unbelievable moments, I’m not upset one bit. It’s a Science Fiction movie for a reason, so is using the the word fiction used for a reason.

I skipped over a lot of the young Affleck story because I just didn’t like the guy. He was the result of a failed school system that taught conspiracy theories. Jesus-on-a-stick, who wants to like conspiracy theorists? No one, and I stay clear from people like that.

Out of all the characters in this film, I think the one I related most to is TARS. Yes, the one I hate the most. It's fitting because I’m incapable of liking myself. Too much of me in his programming, and based on everyone’s reaction when I’m around, it makes sense not to like him. Though TARS seemed to be swimming in self esteem, something I still haven’t had a full grasp on these last 30 or so years.

Coop turned too much into a great human being instead of a Gacy, and it's not that don't like good people, it's that I expected him to continue as a Gacy to the end. And if a film doesn't meet my expectations, then it's not a good movie. Basic logic used by fans of movies today. Movies are about me, not the art, or the message, but about my expectations. *wink*

I'm kinda late to the party and I don't really have much new to contribute in terms of breakdowns (I agree with a lot of @BeardotheWeirdo's points). I liked the movie though. Like I mentioned before I checked out of Nolan movies after Inception. I figured he was gonna become one of those directors that just splooges all over the screen and relies on his audience to overrate his shit while they're congratulating themselves on working shit out. Kind of David Lynch but without any of the redeeming qualities.

Interstellar seemed a very earnest passion project though and I was rooting for it. I t kind of won me over but it was a bit of a carcrash to me. I liked all the different elements at play (The apocalypse, the family drama and being trapped in space where like 1 minute = 30 years back on earth or whatever, the scifi pron) but I guess it was way too ambitious. I thought of similar movies like Solyaris and Contact and they benefited from more focus. Interstellar kinda wants to be everything, and even though it's like 5 hours long it always felt rushed to me with the narrative and pacing always jolting around as distractions pop up. I think Nolan's editing or planning is really bad. Like The Dark Knight was a great example where like 90% of that movie was pointless filler, and then like at a certain point Nolan's like 'oh fuck, we've gotta create Two Face and then kill him off and we've only like 10 minutes to do it. I'm glad we had that fucken trip to Hong Kong or wherever doe'. So I guess I still think Nolan's pretty overrated but then I'm not sure any director could spin this many plates and come out with a very cohesive, entirely fulfilling movie.

Last edited:
That robot is really awkward. It makes no sense to me how he walks so smoothly. Like the way the pads of his feet land on the ground should not result in such a rhythmic gait.

giphy.gif

Boy can he run though. Actually he looks kinda cool running

It looks like it's floating in that gif.

giphy.gif

To be fair, all the scientists and engineers in the world can't compete with 500 million years of evolution. It does look cool.

If I had a robot I would program her to be:
100% sarcastic
100% loving
80% honest - sometimes I may need her to tell me my tush definitely does not look big in those pants.

Even robots can't live up to women's expectations. ;)

What personality would YOU have your robot be?

ci9fbmtm0irz.jpg
;)

Hmmm. They just hopped in that ocean. I guess they must have known the temperature, composition and depth of the water. Did they not know about the waves?

The waves were awesome! Love me some waves. But wait, why is the water where they are standing not being sucked in?

That is not how water works, dammit!

giphy.gif

Tides and waves are created by the moons gravity. They might've noticed the massive moon orbiting the planet... For a moon to make waves that size... I'm not capable of doing the math, but that would be one giant ass moon.

How does a frozen cloud float? Why are our clouds not frozen? They are up high enough that they should be....Can gasses freeze? No comprendo. I may need to use the Google....

There are giant frozen clouds of pure alcohol in space. It's ridiculously cold in space. I don't know for sure but I think if your spacesuit sprung a leak in outer space, you'd freeze before asphyxiating.

They lost me on the black hole discussion

Black holes are the location of the second dream level. Black holes and bookcases ;)

So if plan B was the point all along, it makes no sense they would only send one woman. I know they said they could incubate 10 babies to start off, but they also talked about surrogates later on. Just not logical.

Especially considering the guy who came up with the mission sent his daughter as the only woman... not your typical protective Dad.

If anything they should have been all women except for Cooper, since he was apparently the only one capable of flying the vessel.

With a MAN in the Whitehouse!
883481.jpg

But seriously, yeah, it's true.

It’s a fucked up thought to make a decision knowing that a result of this decision is that your family will have been dead for 40 years 20 minutes after making the decision and taking action

That's why you don't volunteer for a mission to a far-away galaxy without asking the details. Coop made the decision before he left, taking away the true philosophical impact of the decision. He's a former military man, he knows how these missions work. You don't decide the outcome of the mission based on when you want to come home, you do what your country asks of you, at all costs. Same goes for NASA missions, you can't cut the mission short because your daughter misses you.

To me him making a decision of that magnitude without even asking the details, showed he didn't really care about his daughter that much, which lessened the emotional impact. If they wanted to make a powerful movie about love and parenting, they should've shown the movie from the daughters point of view while the Dad was off galivanting in Space.

Another indicator that he cared more for piloting than parenting is the way he blindly chased the drone through corn fields almost killing his children as they narrowly avoided a combine harvester.

Doesn't help that me made her character be in love with a guy on one of the planets. Not a good look if she's flirting with Coop on the way to see him.

I didn't see the point in that relationship existing. It didn't affect anyone's actions. It just was. It gets in the way of her developing something with Coop. She never gets to see her her original boo. Why have that be a thing?

Tides and waves are created by the moons gravity. They might've noticed the massive moon orbiting the planet... For a moon to make waves that size... I'm not capable of doing the math, but that would be one giant ass moon.
Wasn't it the gravitational force from the black holes that created the bulge? That's what NDT said those waves were, "bulges."

Especially considering the guy who came up with the mission sent his daughter as the only woman... not your typical protective Dad.
I believe the fiction here was that the first wave of embryos would be grown in a lab until the next phase where there would be enough people to host pregnancies.

I didn't see the point in that relationship existing. It didn't affect anyone's actions. It just was. It gets in the way of her developing something with Coop. She never gets to see her her original boo. Why have that be a thing?
I don't see Brand and Coop as a romantic pairing at all within the film. She's the one who establishes the concept of love being a more meaningful factor than it is being credited. Without her making a bad decision, we don't get Coop's bad decision that resulted in their almost being marooned.

Back