SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 146 - Interstellar

"Because my dad promised me."

hqdefault.jpg

Someone already made that joke, but it's not a joke. It's real. The feels are realz.

Why would Murph suggest Cooper go to the planet Brand was on, as if there was some great love story there? Brand was in love with the guy already on the planet. I guess he died. Wouldn't someone else have already retrieved her? Why would Murph think she was more important to Cooper than all his descendants?
Cooper doesn't belong on earth. To most people still on Murph's timeline of perception Brand would be assumed dead but due to relativity there's still a chance Cooper can find her. He's an explorer and he does the impossible.

1. Yeah, cheap.
2. He gonna settle by himself? Didn't seem like completing the mission was his main goal or he wouldn't have been trying to kill all the people attempting to complete it.
3. I don't remember them actually taking all those human eggs (or whatever). Four people and a couple robots seem like a shitty plan for re-colonizing. Especially when they think they'll be returning.

If Anne's planet is deserted then that contradicts the reasoning in #3.

Damon assumed that Hathaway would be coming with him, that is, after he got rid of Cooper. They said in the movie that there was enough eggs or whatever to have a population on the new planet in the hundreds within 30 years. I'm not sure what technology was being used to accomplish that. The script has so many plot holes and inconsistencies its not even funny. Cooper, who had no romantic relationship at all with Hathaway, was going to span a galaxy to go be with her in solitude for the rest of his life? Yea, ok Nolan, that's believable. He still had his son and all his grandchildren on Earth and struggled mightily to get back to Earth, only accomplishing it with the help of unseen 5th dimensional creatures, only to steal a space ship and return to where he just came from.

Yea, I can't talk to you any more right now Cubo, you are triggering me with your replies and its not you, its this film.

I rate this film Fuck you Christopher Nolan you better hope I never see you in a restaurant out of 10.

Hehe this was my reaction to Inception and the reason I avoided Interstellar like turboaids

And here I am. I did a terrible job avoiding turboaids as well tbf

Damon assumed that Hathaway would be coming with him, that is, after he got rid of Cooper. They said in the movie that there was enough eggs or whatever to have a population on the new planet in the hundreds within 30 years. I'm not sure what technology was being used to accomplish that. The script has so many plot holes and inconsistencies its not even funny. Cooper, who had no romantic relationship at all with Hathaway, was going to span a galaxy to go be with her in solitude for the rest of his life? Yea, ok Nolan, that's believable. He still had his son and all his grandchildren on Earth and struggled mightily to get back to Earth, only accomplishing it with the help of unseen 5th dimensional creatures, only to steal a space ship and return to where he just came from.

Yea, I can't talk to you any more right now Cubo, you are triggering me with your replies and its not you, its this film.

Damon's plan was as full of holes as the script.

No way it makes sense to send 500 eggs and only four people.

And yeah, Cooper running off to be with Brand rings hollow.

Another thing. Let's say it was humans that saved Cooper and created the situation where he was able to communicate with the past. The very communication that allowed for the human race to not go extinct. How does that make any sense? Seems like the human race would have already needed to have saved itself in order for it to be able to use Cooper to give Murph the clues. Yeah, time-travel is always sketchy, but this isn't some comedy. It's supposed to be faithful to science and reason.

I knew that I should have followed @europe1 's advice and replaced Interstellar with Jupiter Ascending, would have got higher reviews from the club imo.

Damon's plan was as full of holes as the script.

No way it makes sense to send 500 eggs and only four people.

And yeah, Cooper running off to be with Brand rings hollow.

Another thing. Let's say it was humans that saved Cooper and created the situation where he was able to communicate with the past. The very communication that allowed for the human race to not go extinct. How does that make any sense? Seems like the human race would have already needed to have saved itself in order for it to be able to use Cooper to give Murph the clues. Yeah, time-travel is always sketchy, but this isn't some comedy. It's supposed to be faithful to science and reason.

Dude, I told you stop it. I'm going to take hostages. Damon was a gifted scientist surviving alone on a distant planet yet somehow didn't know that when he opened the air lock he was going to blow straight to hell. Like hmmm, I'm not docked but I'm going to go ahead and open the airlock anyway. My 12 year old daughter would say, dad, I don't think that's a good idea. As far as the eggs and the colonization, they were using some sort of incubation, grow a human being kit, although its never explained. How do I know this? Because they only sent 1 female on the mission and she can't populate a planet. Citizen Caine told her that they could create hundreds of colonists in only the first 30 years. Its one of those things like the Blight. We are told of its existence but not how it might actually work or anything about it.

And forget about the ridiculous plot that Cooper works his way against all odds back home only to stay for a couple days then steal a space craft and go back to another galaxy. How the fuck you gonna steal a spacecraft? Do you know how hard it is to steal a carton of smokes?

The time thing is the most interesting part of the film because it indicates a loop is going on. Right? Cooper was communicating with Murphy through the bookshelf....BEFORE...he ever left. He decoded his own binary message with the coordinates to NASA's location. This is why you don't fuck with time, it never turns out good. It creates paradox's. How is he gonna send himself messages through the bookshelf before he ever even went? The only way he can do that is if he's looping over and over. Its kinda like going back in time to kill your grandfather therefore you never exist, but if you never exist how did you go back in time to kill your grandfather?

Legit reaction

giphy.gif

Followed by

giphy.gif

@MusterX and @Cubo de Sangre you fools just got burned!

tenor.gif

Which you deserve for dissing this movie!

The problem with this movie is all the things that happen that shouldn't and some things that should happen, but don't. You want the truth? I really liked and hated this movie at the same time. It could have been a masterpiece if not for some of the absurd shit that went on.

Hehe this was my reaction to Inception and the reason I avoided Interstellar like turboaids

And here I am. I did a terrible job avoiding turboaids as well tbf

I don't know what turboaids is but it sounds nasty.

<6>

The time thing is the most interesting part of the film because it indicates a loop is going on. Right? Cooper was communicating with Murphy through the bookshelf....BEFORE...he ever left. He decoded his own binary message with the coordinates to NASA's location. This is why you don't fuck with time, it never turns out good. It creates paradox's. How is he gonna send himself messages through the bookshelf before he ever even went? The only way he can do that is if he's looping over and over. Its kinda like going back in time to kill your grandfather therefore you never exist, but if you never exist how did you go back in time to kill your grandfather?

Looping is dumb. At some point one thing leads to another or it doesn't. If the whole world were obliterated by nukes with no survivors, you couldn't really have people from the future coming back to change the past.

Looping is dumb. At some point one thing leads to another or it doesn't. If the whole world were obliterated by nukes with no survivors, you couldn't really have people from the future coming back to change the past.

It can be done right in certain films. Looper is a good example I think of time travel done right.

@europe1 let me give you an example of why I got irritated with this clearly well made film. It destroys in certain aspects but then lets me down hard in others. Here is an example. Cooper is going to go back to the distant planet so Brand isn't alone trying to start the colony. I could get beyond the fact he spent all the time trying to get home, only to leave again, and I could get by the fact you can't just steal a spacecraft so easily, if Nolan would have just made some sort of love connection between Cooper and Brand.

I could have believed it and liked it if they had fallen in love and Cooper was going back across the galaxy to be with his new found love and seed the human race. Nolan had almost 3 hours to make this connection between the two of them and didn't do it. So what I'm left with is Cooper crossing the galaxy and leaving his family behind again after he wanted so bad to get back home.

It can be done right in certain films. Looper is a good example I think of time travel done right.

Watched it once. Don't remember much. A supposedly serious film like Interstellar should have left that aspect out.

Armageddon was a far superior space film.

@europe1 let me give you an example of why I got irritated with this clearly well made film. It destroys in certain aspects but then lets me down hard in others. Here is an example. Cooper is going to go back to the distant planet so Brand isn't alone trying to start the colony. I could get beyond the fact he spent all the time trying to get home, only to leave again, and I could get by the fact you can't just steal a spacecraft so easily, if Nolan would have just made some sort of love connection between Cooper and Brand.

I could have believed it and liked it if they had fallen in love and Cooper was going back across the galaxy to be with his new found love and seed the human race. Nolan had almost 3 hours to make this connection between the two of them and didn't do it. So what I'm left with is Cooper crossing the galaxy and leaving his family behind again after he wanted so bad to get back home.

Didn't even realize he stole the ship. Why the fuck would he need to? Seems like it'd be a matter of course to send folks to this new human colony to see how things were going. Maybe help out and join in? Or bring 'em back if the Earth had been saved from dust bowl doom?

Watched it once. Don't remember much. A supposedly serious film like Interstellar should have left that aspect out.

Therein lies the real problem hombre. Einstein wasn't joking around about space and time being relative. You can't leave it out. The faster you travel the slower time goes and traveling around in the universe is going to make time pass differently for you than for people on Earth.Its kinda like looking up at a distant star in the night sky. You are looking back in time. If the star is a billion light years away, you are looking at that star as it was a billion years ago.

A lot of the stuff you see in the sky doesn't even exist anymore, let that one sink in some.

You're triggering more people ITT than just @MusterX.

giphy.webp

@MusterX and @Cubo de Sangre you fools just got burned!

tenor.gif

Which you deserve for dissing this movie!

OrneryShamefulAmphiuma-small.gif

I knew that I should have followed @europe1 's advice and replaced Interstellar with Jupiter Ascending, would have got higher reviews from the club imo.

Honestly, I was planning on just dropping in my old posts and not bothering rewatching it, but now, with the level of hating going on in here, there's no way in hell that I'm not rewatching it and responding to everyone. And when I say everyone, I mean...

ComplicatedPeskyCopepod-size_restricted.gif

Therein lies the real problem hombre. Einstein wasn't joking around about space and time being relative. You can't leave it out. The faster you travel the slower time goes and traveling around in the universe is going to make time pass differently for you than for people on Earth.Its kinda like looking up at a distant star in the night sky. You are looking back in time. If the star is a billion light years away, you are looking at that star as it was a billion years ago.

A lot of the stuff you see in the sky doesn't even exist anymore, let that one sink in some.

I have no problem with time passing differently due to gravity or our view of the stars being outdated by the time we perceive it. But that doesn't really add up to what we saw. Advanced humans created a situation for Cooper to save the planet. Humans that wouldn't be there without Cooper saving the planet. They simply wouldn't exist to be able to do that.

Didn't even realize he stole the ship. Why the fuck would he need to? Seems like it'd be a matter of course to send folks to this new human colony to see how things were going. Maybe help out and join in? Or bring 'em back if the Earth had been saved from dust bowl doom?

He tip toed in and jumped into an X-wing with TARS like he was Luke Skywalker. WHY would he go back out there after the hell he just went through? If he was in love with Brand I could see it but Nolan made no such connection between the two.

He tip toed in and jumped into an X-wing with TARS like he was Luke Skywalker. WHY would he go back out there after the hell he just went through? If he was in love with Brand I could see it but Nolan made no such connection between the two.

I'm agreeing that it makes no sense and the movie failed to build it up in a believable way, in spite of three fucking hours to do it. I'm questioning why he would need to steal the ship rather than one being made available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back