SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 35 movie!

Cycle 2 / Week 9: Pick the Guy Pearce movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Confused about what's going on in here? See the following thread:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/could-a-sherdog-movie-watching-club-work.3237221/

It's Guy Pearce week! Thanks to @jeicex, this time around we'll be celebrating one of the land down under's greatest contributions to the modern film landscape.

Here are our candidates!

LA Confidential (1997)

Director: Curtis Hanson

Stars: Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce

Premise: As corruption grows in 1950s LA, three policemen - one strait-laced, one brutal, and one sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice.

Why @jeicex picked it: Good cop becomes bad cop, actually turns out to be the good cop to catch the real bad cop.

Trailer:

Memento (2000)

Director: Christopher Nolan

Stars: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano

Premise: A man juggles searching for his wife's murderer and keeping his short-term memory loss from being an obstacle.

Why @jeicex picked it: Guy with bad memory picks the worst places to leave sticky note reminders.

Trailer:

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Director: Stephan Elliott

Stars: Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce, Terence Stamp

Premise: Two drag performers and a transgender woman travel across the desert to perform their unique style of cabaret.

Why @jeicex picked it: Three drag queens try to climb a mountain, none of which are named Priscilla.

Trailer:

The Proposition (2005)

Director: John Hillcoat

Stars: Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, Emily Watson

Premise: A lawman apprehends a notorious outlaw and gives him nine days to kill his older brother, or else they'll execute his younger brother.

Why @jeicex picked it: Brother reunites with brother to save other brother.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @EL CORINTHIAN @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @DaDamn @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @melvinj0 @Joseph Budden @In The Name Of @Coolthulu @CryptKeeper @Werdun @AndersonsFoot

Guy Pearce came to me last week in a vision, and I knew I had to honor him with a week for him in the SMC.

It was the right thing to do.

And for the reasons I picked the films I did, I instead decided to make "bad plot explanations" for each of them. More fun that way.

Heard of it, but never seen it. So if it gets voted in, we do this together.

I didn't have a ton of time when i voted so i just glanced through and made a pick. Now that I've came back and looked over the choices more thoroughly I'd vote that over Memento. Not a great start for me.

I didn't have a ton of time when i voted so i just glanced through and made a pick. Now that I've came back and looked over the choices more thoroughly I'd vote that over Memento. Not a great start for me.

Bruh, movie club takes precedence over:

work
family
faith
your favorite fast food restaurant

. . . as @europe1 might say, these are the demons you must slay to be one of us.

What happens if there's a tie?

In the event of a tie we go into a sudden death round with those two candidates where we do a tie breaker vote.

One thing to bear in mind though is that sometimes the number of votes you see can be deceiving. Occasionally non-members wander in and vote in our polls but their votes don't count.

For instance, at this moment both The Proposition and LA Confidential appear to have six votes a piece when in fact they both have five, because each has one non-member vote.

If you're not aware, you can click on the vote tally next to each entry in the poll to see who all voted for those particular entries, and then cross-reference that with the member list to know what the true tally is.

Bruh, movie club takes precedence over:

work
family
faith
your favorite fast food restaurant

. . . as @europe1 might say, these are the demons you must slay to be one of us.
Ain't that the truth. I've been slaying and slaying the past couple months, I think they're almost all dead.

Ain't that the truth. I've been slaying and slaying the past couple months, I think they're almost all dead.

Remember what you told me many months ago, when members were dropping out because they said they didn't have time.

It's just ~ 2 hours of your life a week. Nearly anyone can find two free hours.

SUDDEN DEATH!

The Proposition vs LA Confidential

With a 5-5 tie, we have another face off here. I know it's Christmas Eve so I hope enough of you guys check in today to make this vote interesting.

As always, just cast your vote here in the thread. Voting will end at 12:30 Mountain Time tomorrow afternoon.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @EL CORINTHIAN @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @DaDamn @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @method115 @melvinj0 @Joseph Budden @In The Name Of @Coolthulu @CryptKeeper @Werdun @AndersonsFoot

SUDDEN DEATH!

The Proposition vs LA Confidential

With a 5-5 tie, we have another face off here. I know it's Christmas Eve so I hope enough of you guys check in today to make this vote interesting.

As always, just cast your vote here in the thread. Voting will end at 12:30 Mountain Time tomorrow afternoon.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @EL CORINTHIAN @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @DaDamn @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @method115 @melvinj0 @Joseph Budden @In The Name Of @Coolthulu @CryptKeeper @Werdun @AndersonsFoot

Have seen them both. Man this is tough. LAC is one of my favorites all time. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. Hmm. But I've only seen TP once.

Going to go with The Proposition.

The Proposition for me

Have seen them both. Man this is tough. LAC is one of my favorites all time. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. Hmm. But I've only seen TP once.

Going to go with The Proposition.

I had a bit of a tough time from the beginning because on one hand I've never seen The Proposition, but on the other I haven't seen LA Confidential in over a decade and have been thinking lately that I should rewatch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a bit of a tough time from the beginning because on one hand I've never seen The Proposition, but on the other I haven't seen LA Confident in over a decade and have been thinking lately that I should rewatch it.

Haha, similar. I wouldn't mind seeing Crowe and Pearce in their breakout roles again. Plus old chief of police and what's his pickle from House of Cards.

But I think it'd all be replayed quickly in my mind watching it again. Have probably seen it 10 times.

Either way I'm good though.

Back