SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 35 movie!

Cycle 2 / Week 9: Pick the Guy Pearce movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Appaloosa was the best of that bunch. Throw in True Grit too.

A decent one that rarely gets mention was Seraphim Falls. IMO.

Appaloosa, really. . . I caught that one in the theater and honestly thought it was just OK. I was hoping for better.

A few obvious ones you're missing are The Hateful Eight and Magnificent Seven.
Oh that's the one I was forgetting, Hateful Eight. Badass flick, it did not feel like a three hour tour for some reason.

And Magnificent Seven felt like another in a long line of recent unnecessary remakes, like the Total Recall remake, or the Ben Hur abomination.

And Magnificent Seven felt like another in a long line of recent unnecessary remakes, like the Total Recall remake, or the Ben Hur abomination.

I enjoyed Mag 7 well enough. As for other recent remakes, I'll stand up for the Robocop remake. It's not the classic the original is, but it's a good film in its own right. It's also a remake that makes sense in that the original was hamstrung to some extent by the state of the art of the FX industry.

Appaloosa was the best of that bunch. Throw in True Grit too.

A decent one that rarely gets mention was Seraphim Falls. IMO.

Ah, True Grit, definitely. I'd say that was the best western of the 2000s, perhaps. Seraphim Falls was quite decent, but I was sticking to films at most within the past ten years.

I also forgot about the Hateful Eight. I consider it Tarantino's second or first worst film - which is to say it's still pretty awesome.

Oh that's the one I was forgetting, Hateful Eight. Badass flick, it did not feel like a three hour tour for some reason.

Magnificent Seven had nothing going for it other than that cool Korean guy.

Ah, True Grit, definitely. I'd say that was the best western of the 2000s, perhaps.

The best post-2000 Western in my opinion is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Such a fantastic and original movie that gets NO credit or attention.

I also forgot about the Hateful Eight. I consider it Tarantino's second or first worst film - which is to say it's still pretty awesome.

Weird. I put Reservoir Dogs, Death Proof, and Django below The Hateful Eight, easily.

The best post-2000 Western in my opinion is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Such a fantastic and original movie that gets NO credit or attention.

Weird. I put Reservoir Dogs, Death Proof, and Django below The Hateful Eight, easily.

Damn... I'm forgetting everything. And yes, I saw Jesse James in theaters and it was excellent. Overly long, and oddly strung together at points with lengthy narrations, but the acting was superb and the tension between characters was strung to perfection.

Ok, updated list of quality westerns in the past 10ish years (in my order of preference):

True Grit
The Proposition
Assassination of Jesse James
Django Unchained
Hateful Eight
Seraphim Falls
Bone Tomahawk
Appaloosa
3:10 to Yuma
Magnificent Seven
The Salvation

Damn... I'm forgetting everything. And yes, I saw Jesse James in theaters and it was excellent. Overly long, and oddly strung together at points with lengthy narrations, but the acting was superb and the tension between characters was strung to perfection.

Don't forget the gorgeous cinematography by Roger Deakins and the beautiful score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

Not sure if he still stands by this, but Deakins once said this was his personal favorites of all the films he's worked on.

Appaloosa, really. . . I caught that one in the theater and honestly thought it was just OK. I was hoping for better.

For a lot of reasons I think it's awesome. Have seen it 3 or 4 times. I like Viggo's character. Zellwigger's character was annoying, fickle but true to life nonetheless. Great ending.

Ok, updated list of quality westerns in the past 10ish years (in my order of preference):

True Grit
The Proposition
Assassination of Jesse James
Django Unchained
Hateful Eight
Seraphim Falls
Bone Tomahawk
Appaloosa
3:10 to Yuma
Magnificent Seven
The Salvation

Honestly, my opinion is that Bone Tomahawk and The Revenant are well above the rest. Then Appaloosa.

The rest all fall together in a pack after that.

Honestly, my opinion is that Bone Tomahawk and The Revenant are well above the rest. Then Appaloosa.

The rest all fall together in a pack after that.

Did you see Assassination of Jesse James?

Also, I'm not really sure I consider The Revenant a Western, though I suppose in some loose sense it meets the requirements.

The Hateful Eight is literally the worst movie I've ever seen.

The fuck?

You'll have to explain that statement.

I hated it. I felt like it was so derivative, it was just a mix of every other Tarantino movie that wasn't as good and I watched the whole thing thinking it would get better because it was a QT movie and it never did and I just fucking hated every bit of it.

Did you see Assassination of Jesse James?

Also, I'm not really sure I consider The Revenant a Western, though I suppose in some loose sense it meets the requirements.

Yeah saw TAOJJ. I hardly remember it but it never impacted me except maybe in a disappointing way.

The Revenant is definitely a western. Lots of traditional trapper/Indian conflict as opposed to plains frontiersman. The Indian element actually was a more common theme many decades ago. IMO.

I hated it. I felt like it was so derivative, it was just a mix of every other Tarantino movie that wasn't as good and I watched the whole thing thinking it would get better because it was a QT movie and it never did and I just fucking hated every bit of it.

I don't really agree with that, but even if so, it's LITERALLY the WORST movie you've ever seen? Out of ALL the movies you've seen in all your years of existence, it's The Hateful Eight that is at the bottom of the list?

On a related note, The Hateful Eight was the first movie I ever watched where I read the screenplay before actually seeing the film.

That was a very interesting experience.

I don't really agree with that, but even if so, it's LITERALLY the WORST movie you've ever seen? Out of ALL the movies you've seen in all your years of existence, it's The Hateful Eight that is at the bottom of the list?

Yes. I felt like it wasted my time and I was pretty mad about it, I'm still a little upset.

Back