SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 142 movie!

Let's pick the week 142 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nic_cage_attack_1.gif

I could listen to Werner talk forever. a great pick. another filmmaker I could listen to forever is John Waters. I’d love to have dinner w/ both of those maniacs.

so here’s a special HM shoutout to John Waters

I read Water’s memoir Shock Value when I was just starting as movie buff and I think I liked it even more than any of his films. Like with Herzog and Stanley, the process of making the movies was often as big of an adventure as what was seen on the screen and that’s awesome.

Kinski’s memoir All I Need I Love is one of the most outrageous things I’ve ever read, a lifelong manic ego trip. He was kind of opposite to the three directors mentioned before, because he could not care less of the movies he was appearing in most of the time and his journey was all about him rampaging through life. Movies were often kind of annoying sidenote for him, but while watching some of his b-movies one can always imagine, that after any given scene Kinski was probably off from the set as fast as he can to bang a gargantuan Mongolian hooker or on some other fucked up adventure.

Last edited:
3) Stanley Kubrick's acceptance speech upon receiving the D.W. Griffith award. Just watch it.

That is a ridiculously awesome speech that I've never seen before. He gave that completely stone faced, dead-pan all the way through.

3) Stanley Kubrick's acceptance speech upon receiving the D.W. Griffith award. Just watch it.
I liked that idea, that the hardest part of his day is getting out of the car in the morning. Kubrick is from the opposite end of the spectrum of awesome movie directors than Herzog and Stanley. This man mostly sat in his mansion buried in research and after ten years of planning came out like some legendary beast. Then for a year or so he daily abandoned his controlled comfort zone and threw himself at some overwhelming movie project.

Last edited:
his bit about The Tingler touches me right in the heart because it’s one of my favorite William Castle schlock fests & it’s a lil beautiful love note to Vincent Price’s craft.

QFT. I love his rejection of the "campy" designation, too. However, while I can forgive Waters for not mentioning and TCM for not editing in clips of his hilariously awesome animated work as Vincent Van Ghoul in The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, which served as my personal introduction to Vincent Price, I can't forgive no mention/clips of him as Egghead in Batman.

d121c08ff14e433ebfb82cc10b5093b0.jpg

Kinski’s memoir All I Need I Love is one of the most outrageous things I’ve ever read, a lifelong manic ego trip. He was kind of opposite to the three directors mentioned before, because he could not care less of the movies he was appearing in most of the time and his journey was all about him rampaging through life. Movies were often kind of annoying sidenote for him, but while watching some of his b-movies one can always imagine, that after any given scene Kinski was probably off from the set as fast as he can to bang a gargantuan Mongolian hooker or on some other fucked up adventure.

I'm not a Kinski fanboy or anything, but I recently watched Crawlspace for the first time - which is the film that inspired the film-about-the-film Please Kill Mr. Kinski - and thought that I should recommend it to you guys in case you haven't seen it. Not a very good movie (not even by '80s B-slasher movie standards), but man does it look good. Fantastic production design and cinematography that made it seem like a minor Suspiria (the mention of which is, I'm sure, like a dog whistle for @europe1, so I'll also recommend it to you, too, if you haven't already seen it ;)).

That is a ridiculously awesome speech that I've never seen before. He gave that completely stone faced, dead-pan all the way through.

It's too bad he didn't live longer. It would've been so amazing if he'd had his own version of Hepburn's Dick Cavett appearance, some switch flipping inside his head that made him want to finally come out of his reclusive shell and just start shooting the shit and telling stories. Early in his career, he gave interviews comparatively freely, from long recorded audio interviews to pretty elaborate print interviews. As time went on, though, and as TV became really big, he just withdrew altogether. But he's such a fascinating guy with the most unique takes on things. That Icarus bit from that speech is just one example. Another is his famous comment to Stephen King about The Shining, that, even though it's a horror story, at its core it's really an optimistic story since it's about ghosts, which implies a form of existence after death, and implying that there's anything after death is optimistic :D

I liked that idea, that the hardest part of his day is getting out of the car in the morning. Kubrick is from the opposite end of the spectrum of awesome movie directors than Herzog and Stanley. This man mostly sat in his mansion buried in research and after ten years of planning came out like some legendary beast. Then for a year or so he daily abandoned his controlled comfort zone and threw himself at some overwhelming movie project.

I could've done a top five - or a top 10, or a top 50, or a top 300 - of all Kubrick stories/quotes. Like I said above, he was just such a fascinating guy. Here's a quick Kubrick top five excluding the shit I've already mentioned:

1) His conflict with Lucien Ballard while filming The Killing.

2) The thought of him and Malcolm McDowell taking breaks from McDowell's voice-over recordings for A Clockwork Orange and playing ping pong.

3) His response to chatter on the set of Spartacus about how he wore the same clothes every day. When he learned that people were commenting on the fact that he wore the same thing every day, he wore something different...and then only wore that for the rest of the shoot.

4) His Cagney comparison as a way of explaining to Spielberg why Jack Nicholson was awesome in The Shining.

5) His calm, straightforward question to the increasingly-losing-his-mind Sydney Pollack in regards to the number of takes while shooting the pool room scene in Eyes Wide Shut.

@OMGstreetfight can't just come flying into this club without the prerequisite welcome.

There is only one way in, and one way out.

th

It's too bad he didn't live longer. It would've been so amazing if he'd had his own version of Hepburn's Dick Cavett appearance, some switch flipping inside his head that made him want to finally come out of his reclusive shell and just start shooting the shit and telling stories. Early in his career, he gave interviews comparatively freely, from long recorded audio interviews to pretty elaborate print interviews. As time went on, though, and as TV became really big, he just withdrew altogether. But he's such a fascinating guy with the most unique takes on things. That Icarus bit from that speech is just one example. Another is his famous comment to Stephen King about The Shining, that, even though it's a horror story, at its core it's really an optimistic story since it's about ghosts, which implies a form of existence after death, and implying that there's anything after death is optimistic :D

Bullitt you and I have disagreed on all sorts of movie stuff but one thing we don't disagree on is that Stanley Kubrick was a...

th

We Have A Winner!

7782047420_5c25616d02_b.jpg

The Road Warrior takes to the high seas! The Bounty wins with 7 votes cast. Here's is a completely uncomplicated map about the route we'll be taking.

Blythe-Route-Map_1.jpg

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @chickenluver @Coolthulu @OMGstreetfight @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Nailgun @Rimbaud82 @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer

Mel Gibson had a great run in the 80's.

His insanity is intoxicating. He's not a man to be trifled with, for doing so will result in unpalatable happenings.......

Tp3iXq.gif

giphy.gif

Part of me is ambitious and wants to watch all three versions. I've only seen the 1935 and the 1962 ones once each. I remember liking but not loving the 1935 one and I remember being shocked that I loved the 1962 one. But I don't remember either in that much detail. And I sincerely hope that this one doesn't suck, even though for some reason I've been convinced for years that it will.

Fingers crossed it's good.

source.gif

This movie should resonate. Looking forward to it!

I'm not a Kinski fanboy or anything, but I recently watched Crawlspace for the first time - which is the film that inspired the film-about-the-film Please Kill Mr. Kinski - and thought that I should recommend it to you guys in case you haven't seen it. Not a very good movie (not even by '80s B-slasher movie standards), but man does it look good. Fantastic production design and cinematography that made it seem like a minor Suspiria
Sounds great. A friend of mine has a project to watch every slasher movie ever made and I’m sidekicking this quest every now and then when an interesting title surfaces. We already agreed to watch Crawlspace in the near future.

giphy.gif

Part of me is ambitious and wants to watch all three versions. I've only seen the 1935 and the 1962 ones once each. I remember liking but not loving the 1935 one and I remember being shocked that I loved the 1962 one. But I don't remember either in that much detail. And I sincerely hope that this one doesn't suck, even though for some reason I've been convinced for years that it will.

Fingers crossed it's good.

source.gif
Yeah, 30’s version was really dissapointing, but I adored the 60’s version. I’m pretty antsy about this nomination, but let’s hope for the best!

Cool, don't usually watch movies based on ships, but will be fun, I am sure

I guess we'll be nominating Excalibur soon too. Yeah, we didn't actually watch Blade Runner, but whatever.

QBgxoM3.jpg

Back