SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 142 movie!

Let's pick the week 142 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

2raipc.jpg

Our resident movie-store owner is back and once again he hits us with an Adventure movie Week!

The Savage Innocents (1960)

Director: Nicholas Ray

Stars: Anthony Quinn, Yôko Tani, Carlo Giustini

Premise: An Eskimo who has had little contact with white men goes to a trading post where he accidentally kills a missionary and finds himself being pursued by the police.

Why @Yotsuya picked it: Anthony Quinn stars as Eskimo hunter Inuk in a glorious Technicolor arctic adventure movie directed by Nicholas Ray

(could only find French trailer)

The War Lord (1965)

Director: Franklin J. Schaffner

Stars: Charlton Heston, Richard Boone, Rosemary Forsyth

Premise: In 11th century Normandy, a Norman duke sends one of his knights to build a defensive fortress in order to guard the borders against Frisian raiders.

Why @Yotsuya picked it: Charlton Heston as steely vassal who is sent to the pagan frontier of medieval England to defend the idolatrous natives from Viking invasions

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

Director: John Milius

Stars: Sean Connery, Candice Bergen, Brian Keith

Premise: In early 20th century Morocco, a Sharif kidnaps an American woman and her children, forcing President Theodore Roosevelt to send in forces to conduct a rescue mission.

Why @Yotsuya picked it: Sean Connery as the infamous Berber bandit Mulai al Ahmer Raisuli in a movie that’s kind of John Milius’ tribute to Arabian Lawrence

The Bounty (1984)

Director: Roger Donaldson

Stars: Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier

Premise: Fed up with their captain's harsh discipline, a sailing ship's crew decides to take action.

Why @Yotsuya picked it: I’ve always wanted to see this 80’s remake of ”Mutiny on the Bounty” story and it’s finally available as proper widescreen release. I’m not sure how it compares to the amazing 60’s version, but a least it has very solid cast (Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson).

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @chickenluver @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Nailgun @Rimbaud82 @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer

This Weeks Top 5 is "Your favourite off-screen personas / interviews / quotes!"

Welcome back to the SMC...

tumblr_ph7wdgtS391qefgdko1_500.gif

@Coolthulu!!!

The Squid joins us for a record-breaking Fourth time! Coolthulu heard that @chickenluver had tied his previous record with 3 times joined, so he doubtlessly rejoined so to spite that Birdlover by recapturing his record! The Squids ability to oscillate his membership is truly unmatched:D

Also, what's up with Sean Connery playing Arabs? He always uses his normal accent anyways.

81UV17WMofL._SY445_.jpg

I know that Berbers aren't Arabs but I doubt Milus or Connery knew that anyways.

Coolthulu's baaaaack, how about that. I'm going to catch up soon, I've been deliberately holding off watching Blade Runner because my heart's still not quite ready.

Coolthulu's baaaaack, how about that. I'm going to catch up soon, I've been deliberately holding off watching Blade Runner because my heart's still not quite ready.

If you give it a glowing review then I might be able to give you an extra two or three film Nominations next week:cool:

Welcome back @Coolthulu

Interesting choices this week. I haven't heard of any of these films before but there's a lot of talent up there

for the theme, there are only two who truly matter to me:
nic_cage_attack_1.gif

SaneWanFirebelliedtoad-small.gif

First Coolthulu smashes Chickenluver's precious record, then Chickenluver ends up voting for movies that are dead-in-the-water two times in a row!

NCoS.gif

I'm surprised. I thought that that film would have a decent shot -- and that the one I voted for would be practically stillborn.

Werner Herzog and Richard Stanley are my favorite directors to listen to. I usually watch all interviews and listen all commentaries by them. My favorite story by Stanley is about the experimental documentary Voices of the Moon he did about Afgan war 1990. The small Afgan base they were filming at was attacked by Russians. Cameraman was wounded by a ricochet bullet and they tried to hike to safety through a plain. Suddenly Stanley and the cameraman realised, that they were in the middle of a minefield. They stopped at first, then Stanley made a call that they should to do all of their emergency drugs, which consisted mainly of LSD. It turned out, that it was the right thing to do: According to Stanley he gained x-ray vision, which helped them to navigate the mine field to safety.
<mma4>

I’m pretty mesmerised by Mel Gibson too.

For these picks, there are two that I haven't seen and don't care to see, one that I've seen and didn't care for, and one that I've been avoiding seeing for fear that it'll suck. I voted for the one that I've been avoiding seeing.

giphy.gif

And then another outside the box top theme. Kudos, @Yotsuya. For my top five favorite off-screen personas/interviews/quotes relative to some of my favorite film people:

1) Bruce Lee's "lost" interview. This one's a no-brainer.

2) Katharine Hepburn's appearance on The Dick Cavett Show. She notoriously shunned the spotlight throughout her career, never doing press shit, never even attending awards ceremonies even though she won so many awards. Finally, Dick Cavett managed to coax her into his studio upon agreeing to her demands, which included no studio audience and the right to dump anything that they filmed. As it happened, she had a wonderful time, stayed there so long that they aired her interview in two parts, and was so captivating that even though she didn't want an audience by the end the studio was full of crew people and other Hollywood types from the lot. The first time a reclusive legend came out of her Hollywood shell and she had a great time doing it.

3) Stanley Kubrick's acceptance speech upon receiving the D.W. Griffith award. Just watch it.

4) Martin Scorsese's Channel 4 documentary A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies. The people's film professor took time out from making movies to chronicle the history of American cinema as seen through the eyes of one of the GOATs. It's a great peek behind Scorsese's artistic curtain and a great checklist of must-see classics.

Parts 2 and 3 got taken off of Youtube for copyright infringement, but here's Part 1 for a taste if you haven't seen this before.

5) Jeff Daniels' interview for the SAG "Conversations" series. I absolutely love everything about this man: His philosophy of life and work just commands respect, the way he conducts himself as a professional is so admirable, yet he is so quick with a joke and has a fantastic sense of humor. Just an awesome dude and this is one of my favorite interviews ever.

Werner Herzog and Richard Stanley are my favorite directors to listen to. I usually watch all interviews and listen all commentaries by them. My favorite story by Stanley is about the experimental documentary Voices of the Moon he did about Afgan war 1990. The small Afgan base they were filming at was attacked by Russians. Cameraman was wounded by a ricochet bullet and they tried to hike to safety through a plain. Suddenly Stanley and the cameraman realised, that they were in the middle of a minefield. They stopped at first, then Stanley made a call that they should to do all of their emergency drugs, which consisted mainly of LSD. It turned out, that it was the right thing to do: According to Stanley he gained x-ray vision, which helped them to navigate the mine field to safety.
<mma4>

I’m pretty mesmerised by Mel Gibson too.
I could listen to Werner talk forever. a great pick. another filmmaker I could listen to forever is John Waters. I’d love to have dinner w/ both of those maniacs.

so here’s a special HM shoutout to John Waters

Have you seen/heard his TCM Vincent Price tribute?

hell yeah, man. I’ve explored youtube for every inch of John Waters interviews/speeches/presentations/etc. his bit about The Tingler touches me right in the heart because it’s one of my favorite William Castle schlock fests & it’s a lil beautiful love note to Vincent Price’s craft. John Waters is such a genuine soul & the truest of true film dorks.

@Bullitt68 can I ask what went into the decision to delete the SMD thread in favor of the movie of the week? How did that happen??!

Delete the SMD? What kind of monster do you think I am? I would never delete the SMD :D

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/serious-movie-discussion.3679477/

I just felt that, in terms of Mayberry stickies, the SMC was more popular and the threads were more active and therefore deserved to be stickied whereas the SMD had practically gone dormant and therefore no longer deserved to be stickied. It's still there to be bumped as SMDers see fit, it's just no longer at the top of the forum.

Delete the SMD? What kind of monster do you think I am? I would never delete the SMD.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/serious-movie-discussion.3679477/

I just felt that, in terms of Mayberry stickies, the SMC was more popular and the threads were more active and therefore deserved to be stickied whereas the SMD had practically gone dormant and therefore no longer deserved to be stickied. It's still there to be bumped as SMDers see fit, it's just no longer at the top of the forum.

Word, thanks.

Back