SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 122 movie!

Let's pick the week 122 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

5b86d14439a22236005390.gif

Tufts returns to her theme of exploring Latin American directors! This time it's the Argentine!

I would like to explore the works of Alejandro G. (González) Iñárritu. I had a tough time narrowing it down to 4 movies. I purposely chose not to include The Revenant, since I think most folks have probably seen it, same with 21 grams. In the end I picked two favourites, and two I have not seen.

Here are our candidates!

Amores Perros (2000)

Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu

Stars: Emilio Echevarría, Gael García Bernal, Goya Toledo

Premise:
A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love.

Why Tufts picked it: A personal favourite that I think most folks in the club have probably not seen. This film is original, sexy and fun and helped launch the careers of Gael García Bernal and Goya Toledo. It's a different take on a road trip, plus it will teach you some awesome Mexican slang.

Babel (2006)

Stars: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael García Bernal

Premise: Tragedy strikes a married couple on vacation in the Moroccan desert, touching off an interlocking story involving four different families.

Why Tufts picked it: Because it is about language and the interconnectedness, or the lack of connectedness of humans.

Biutiful (2010)

Stars: Javier Bardem, Maricel Álvarez, Hanaa Bouchaib

Premise: This is the story of Uxbal, a man living in this world, but able to see his death, which guides his every move.

Why Tufts picked it: Has been on my watch list for a while. Love the director and Javier Bardem.

Birdman (2014)

Stars: Michael Keaton, Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton

Premise: A washed-up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, attempts to revive his career by writing and starring in his very own Broadway play.

Why Tufts picked it: Has also been on my watchlist. The cast is also pretty stacked.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @Deus Ex Machina @ArtemV @Bullitt68

Tufts Top Theme for this Week is "Top Five Movies by Spanish or Hispanic directors!"​

One of Tufts favorite films means "Loves Dogs" in English?

Color me suprised:p

Seen two of these.

Which Jess Franco title to pick for the TOP-5? What a mindfuck... :confused:

Top Five Movies by Spanish or Hispanic directors

Personally, I'm doing one movie per director.

1. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro)
2. Holy Mountain (Alejandro Jodorowsky)
3. The Revenant (Alejandro Iñárritu)
4. Thesis (Alejandro Amenábar)
5. Tomb of the Blind Dead (Amando de Ossorio)

EDIT: Crap, forgot about Robert Rodriguez. From Dusk Till Dawn should probably be nr 5.

Special mention: The Mexican Santo films. Especially the one where Santo and the other wrestlers fight a gang of evil midgets from kidnapping all the Miss Mexico contestants.

Lot's of Alejandros on that list. I haven't seen that much Hispanic cinema. Never even seen a Luis Bunuel flick.

Which Jess Franco title to pick for the TOP-5? What a mindfuck... :confused:

The Girl From Rio?

k65l7NX58jW3T0ALJwZOxzLP5JB.jpg

I can't say I've seen that many Jess Franco movies, and those I've seen I haven't generally been that interested in. Wasn't even a fan of the films he made with Soledad Miranda. Girl From Rio was lots of fun though.

Last edited:
  • El Mariachi
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Planet Terror
  • Machete
  • Machete Kills

So it's Must Love Dogs vs three Spanish B-Movies, interesting week.

Now, I don't know how wide the category of "Hispanic directors" goes, because when I think hispanic I think Spain and Central America. Do we include Spanish speaking countries from South America? Screw it, let's see what happens. It's a surprisingly new and mainstream list of releases, I'm a little disappointed in myself to be honest but access to international cinema was limited during my original cinematic explorations.

Alejandro Amenabar - Open Your Eyes (not vanilla sky)
Guillermo del Toro - Pan's Labyrinth, I have to give it up for this one like I'm sure most lists will have
Robert Rodriguez - Sin City, yes I have Sin City over From Dusk or the Mexico Trilogy
Alejandro Inarritu - The Revenant, although one on this list came close
Pedro Almodovar - All About My Mother, a two-fer with Penelope Cruz, but Volver came close (another terrific Cruz performance)

The Girl From Rio?

I can't say I've seen that many Jess Franco movies, and those I've seen I haven't generally been that interested in. Wasn't even a fan of the films he made with Soledad Miranda. Girl From Rio was lots of fun though.
That’s in Franco TOP-10 for sure and on top of my Franco rewatch list actually. I od’d on Franco during my exploitation years, but have fond memories of so many of his movies. The problem is, that those movies one does not watch sober, so it’s even harder to pick one that’s objectively best.

After Erwin C. Dietrich kicked the bucket some time ago I rewatched Blue Rita with some friends and God damn that was a nice little movie which got me curious again of his work. I’m really looking forward of dropping this midlife cynisism and becoming a dirty old man to fully enjoy Franco movies again.

- Julia's Eyes: Shades of giallo, home invasion and old fashioned ghost story horrors echo throughout this impressively.

- Marshland: Multifaceted and intense crime drama with strong performances and some hauntingly beautiful landscape cinematography.

- The Orphanage: A solemn ghost story. Very well acted, some solid spooks and layered with detail.

- Wild Tales: It's like Black Mirror by way of Krzysztof Kieślowski. Absurdly funny and unique.

- Time Crimes: An engaging and wonderfully minimal take on time travel.

Last edited:
@Tufts you've outdone yourself this week. I've seen two of the films, voted for one I have not seen.

Top 5 Films with Spanish/Hispanic directors.

5. [REC] (2007)
REC.jpg

4. Hellboy (2004)
MV5BNTc1ZWY0ZTEtZTVmNi00MTg0LTg4NmQtZTI4OWNiMmQ0MWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,729,1000_AL_.jpg

3. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
MPW-34095

2. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
MV5BMTU3ODg2NjQ5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDEwODgzMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR92,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

1. The Revenant (2015)
MV5BY2FmODc2N2QtYmY3MS00YTMwLWI2NGYtZWRmYWVkNjFjZmI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTMxMjgxMzA@._V1_.jpg

Not big on Spanish film(maker)s, but here's my Top Theme list:

1) From Dusk Till Dawn by Robert Rodriguez

2) Desperado by Robert Rodriguez

3) The Hidden Face by Andrés Baiz

4) Belle de Jour by Luis Buñuel

5) Un Chien Andalou by Luis Buñuel

Also, for the record: I haven't seen (and, honestly, have no interest in seeing) any of the movies on this list. That said, I'm open to watching any of them. The reason that I voted for the one that I voted for is because I actually tried to watch it once but shut it off almost immediately and I don't like having movies that I gave up on roaming freely out there, so I might as well try to give myself another opportunity to watch it.

EDIT: Crap, forgot about Robert Rodriguez. From Dusk Till Dawn should probably be nr 5.

Special mention: The Mexican Santo films. Especially the one where Santo and the other wrestlers fight a gang of evil midgets from kidnapping all the Miss Mexico contestants.

Lot's of Alejandros on that list. I haven't seen that much Hispanic cinema. Never even seen a Luis Bunuel flick.

The Girl From Rio?

I wasn't a big fan of Revenant...one of the reasons I didn't nominate it

There is no image :( Where's my image?

giphy.gif

The Girl From Rio?

I didn't particularly like The Revenant. I thought it was a little slow...Didn't nominate it out of fear I'd have to watch it again! I've considered choosing Amenábar and Buñuel films....If I go with Buñuel, I'll have to dig up my grad school notes!

• El Mariachi
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Planet Terror
  • Machete
  • Machete Kills

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

With that said, RR is of hispanic heritage....so I'll accept it, even though he is an American, as in born and raised on US soil.....

So it's Must Love Dogs vs three Spanish B-Movies, interesting week.

Now, I don't know how wide the category of "Hispanic directors" goes, because when I think hispanic I think Spain and Central America. Do we include Spanish speaking countries from South America? Screw it, let's see what happens. It's a surprisingly new and mainstream list of releases, I'm a little disappointed in myself to be honest but access to international cinema was limited during my original cinematic explorations.

Alejandro Amenabar - Open Your Eyes (not vanilla sky)
Guillermo del Toro - Pan's Labyrinth, I have to give it up for this one like I'm sure most lists will have
Robert Rodriguez - Sin City, yes I have Sin City over From Dusk or the Mexico Trilogy
Alejandro Inarritu - The Revenant, although one on this list came close
Pedro Almodovar - All About My Mother, a two-fer with Penelope Cruz, but Volver came close (another terrific Cruz performance)

Definition clarification!
Hispanic - Anyone from a Spanish speaking country except for Spain, coz they are Spanish! Hence Hispanic and Spanish in the title of the top five!

Definitely Open Your Eyes over Vanilla Sky...

Was wondering if anyone would mention Almodóvar. Good job! I have considered having an Almodóvar week. Would make for some entertaining discussion....

MV5BNTE0NTk3NTMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzMxMjkz._V1_.jpg

Have not seen. Looks good! A little representation for Catalunya!
Not big on Spanish film(maker)s, but here's my Top Theme list:

1) From Dusk Till Dawn by Robert Rodriguez

2) Desperado by Robert Rodriguez

3) The Hidden Face by Andrés Baiz

4) Belle de Jour by Luis Buñuel

5) Un Chien Andalou by Luis Buñuel

Also, for the record: I haven't seen (and, honestly, have no interest in seeing) any of the movies on this list. That said, I'm open to watching any of them. The reason that I voted for the one that I voted for is because I actually tried to watch it once but shut it off almost immediately and I don't like having movies that I gave up on roaming freely out there, so I might as well try to give myself another opportunity to watch it.

Good thing I didn't nominate any films by any Spanish filmmakers....

Yet :p

Back