SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 122 movie!

Let's pick the week 122 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TOP-5:
Children of Men
De Sade 70
Finisterrae
Gravity
Torrente

Last edited:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Whops...

I should have double checked that.<45>

There is no image :( Where's my image?

What do you mean there is no image? You quoted a gif. Isn't the gif loading for you? Or do you mean that you prefer images over gifs?

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

5b86d14439a22236005390.gif

Tufts returns to her theme of exploring Latin American directors! This time it's the Argentine!

Here are our candidates!

Amores Perros (2000)

Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu

Stars: Emilio Echevarría, Gael García Bernal, Goya Toledo

Premise:
A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love.

Why Tufts picked it: A personal favourite that I think most folks in the club have probably not seen. This film is original, sexy and fun and helped launch the careers of Gael García Bernal and Goya Toledo. It's a different take on a road trip, plus it will teach you some awesome Mexican slang.

Babel (2006)

Stars: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael García Bernal

Premise: Tragedy strikes a married couple on vacation in the Moroccan desert, touching off an interlocking story involving four different families.

Why Tufts picked it: Because it is about language and the interconnectedness, or the lack of connectedness of humans.

Biutiful (2010)

Stars: Javier Bardem, Maricel Álvarez, Hanaa Bouchaib

Premise: This is the story of Uxbal, a man living in this world, but able to see his death, which guides his every move.

Why Tufts picked it: Has been on my watch list for a while. Love the director and Javier Bardem.

Birdman (2014)

Stars: Michael Keaton, Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton

Premise: A washed-up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, attempts to revive his career by writing and starring in his very own Broadway play.

Why Tufts picked it: Has also been on my watchlist. The cast is also pretty stacked.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @Deus Ex Machina @ArtemV @Bullitt68

Tufts Top Theme for this Week is "Top Five Movies by Spanish or Hispanic directors!"​

not really in the same timeframe, relevent to this thread, and probably not useful at all but:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102388/

Good movie. Watch it.

So it's Must Love Dogs vs three Spanish B-Movies, interesting week.

Now, I don't know how wide the category of "Hispanic directors" goes, because when I think hispanic I think Spain and Central America. Do we include Spanish speaking countries from South America? Screw it, let's see what happens. It's a surprisingly new and mainstream list of releases, I'm a little disappointed in myself to be honest but access to international cinema was limited during my original cinematic explorations.

Alejandro Amenabar - Open Your Eyes (not vanilla sky)
Guillermo del Toro - Pan's Labyrinth, I have to give it up for this one like I'm sure most lists will have
Robert Rodriguez - Sin City, yes I have Sin City over From Dusk or the Mexico Trilogy
Alejandro Inarritu - The Revenant, although one on this list came close
Pedro Almodovar - All About My Mother, a two-fer with Penelope Cruz, but Volver came close (another terrific Cruz performance)
Brightness 100%. I can barely see anything.

- Julia's Eyes: Shades of giallo, home invasion and old fashioned ghost story horrors echo throughout this impressively.

- Marshland: Multifaceted and intense crime drama with strong performances and some hauntingly beautiful landscape cinematography.

- The Orphanage: A solemn ghost story. Very well acted, some solid spooks and layered with detail.

- Wild Tales: It's like Black Mirror by way of Krzysztof Kieślowski. Absurdly funny and unique.

- Time Crimes: An engaging and wonderfully minimal take on time travel.
Damn, I have not seen any of these.

Have not seen. Looks good! A little representation for Catalunya!

[REC] is well worth the watch. I've tried either once or twice to get it nominated and it failed. The original [REC] spawned an American/English version as well as multiple sequels but the original was the one that was special. It was remade under the name Quarantine. I've seen both [REC] and Quarantine, liked both but definitely watch the original just called [REC] if you want to know what that's all about.

220px-Quarantineposter.jpg

I guess I don't know that many Spanish/Hispanic directors.

-From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez)
-Planet Terror ('' '')
-Desperado (" ")
-Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro)
-Pieces (Juan Piquer Simon) - This one's more of a joke, but whatever.

2. Holy Mountain (Alejandro Jodorowsky)

I own this on DVD as a two pack with El Topo, but my dad mistakenly got a Region 2 copy of it, so I've still never seen it. My brother used to have a region-free player, so I did watch El Topo, and boy, was that weird.

• El Mariachi
More than Desperado, eh? I haven't watched these in forever, but wasn't Desperado basically just a remake of El Mariachi?

Robert Rodriguez - Sin City, yes I have Sin City over From Dusk or the Mexico Trilogy

- Time Crimes: An engaging and wonderfully minimal take on time travel.

Ah, good picks. I'm an idiot and forgot about these. And I'm going to agree with you, Jei.

More than Desperado, eh? I haven't watched these in forever, but wasn't Desperado basically just a remake of El Mariachi?

Loved El Mariachi. Had the laser disc. :)

Desperado was a lame remake of an incredibly charming low-budget film. :(

That should about tap them out on keys to the city.

<28>

I'm sure it did!

Fun fact - In lieu of building a second tower on the Málaga Cathedral, the city donated the money to the colonies in 1780 to help fight the war of Independence! The Cathedral is known as La Manquita .... or the one armed woman.
MVC1000300259malaga.jpg

Whops...

I should have double checked that.<45>

What do you mean there is no image? You quoted a gif. Isn't the gif loading for you? Or do you mean that you prefer images over gifs?

Its not loading anything :( It just says IMG

Its not loading anything :( It just says IMG

<Eek2.0>

Is this happening for everyone? It's loading for me.

I've always included some sort of image or gif in the OP. Weird how this is seemingly the first time it's failed.

Anyways, the gif I used was this one. But instead of saying "Old Yeller", it said "Tufts Week!!!". I did it since you said that Old Yeller is your favorite canine in film during your last week.

tenor.gif

Originally I considered using this image, due to your background. A woman who grew up in the mountains with her dogs away from civilization? Naturally, my first thought was "hey I've seen a movie like that!". But I went with the Old Yeller one since... nobody would understand the reference.

cca0853c17ba3e7604cf2b966a2e798d.jpg

Yes, Yotsuya... that is Kurt from Tarkan.:D

<Eek2.0>

I've always included some sort of image or gif in the OP. Weird how this is seemingly the first time it's failed.

Anyways, the gif I used was this one. But instead of saying "Old Yeller", it said "Tufts Week!!!". I did it since you said that Old Yeller is your favorite canine in film during your last week.

tenor.gif

Originally I considered using this image, due to your background. A woman who grew up in the mountains with her dogs away from civilization? Naturally, my first thought was "hey I've seen a movie like that!". But I went with the Old Yeller one since... nobody would understand the reference.

.gif is showing up for me, boss.

Shoulda used the pic with the hottie instead of the little boy. Old Yeller or not.

Finisterrae looks super interesting. I actually visited this summer.
View media item 29309
Is that pic from Finisterrae? I’ve been thinking about visiting that place too.

Btw, the movie is really slow. The trailer kind of cheats a bit in that regard. But I love it. I saw it twice on big screen. Very hypnotic at times and really funny too.

Kurt Lives!
:meow:

<Eek2.0>

tenor.gif

Thank you! I actually love them both :)

Is that pic from Finisterrae? I’ve been thinking about visiting that place too.

Btw, the movie is really slow. The trailer kind of cheats a bit in that regard. But I love it. I saw it twice on big screen. Very hypnotic at times and really funny too.

Yes. It was absolutely stunning!

IMG_3117.JPG

Back