• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.2

AI streamlines game storyboarding + dialogue craft. But will it enrich or cheapen player experience?

• Total voters
Arrowhead have hired a new CEO with the previous one Johan Pilestedt moving to a Chief Creative Office role

I worked at a company at a time that had a newly launched product blow up. It was really fun to be a part of that (electricity in the air) with CEO and CTO throwing evening get-togethers for everybody on Luxembourg canal cruises and such so I can only imagine what it's like for Arrow team right now. Cause for celebration. People moving around and up internally. Good stuff.

This rumour about Microsoft buying Valve is just a joke, right?

I saw some random X account reporting it yesterday afternoon, won't believe it unless it comes from someone reputable like Jason Schreier

I saw some random X account reporting it yesterday afternoon, won't believe it unless it comes from someone reputable like Jason Schreier
Yeah there don't seem to be any good sources so hopefully it's unfounded. It better be!

This rumour about Microsoft buying Valve is just a joke, right?

It’s got to be straight up bullshit from some random Twitter account, for numerous reasons:

A) Valve’s not a publicly traded company so Microsoft can’t simply force a sale like it did with Zenimax and Activision

2) The regulatory hurdles for such a purchase would likely be even more difficult than they were for Activision since Valve is more than just a typical publisher, with Steam being the primary storefront for PC gaming.

D) After just spending $70 billion on Activision Microsoft isn’t going to want to spend anymore on its gaming divisions until it starts seeing some return on its investment. So while Microsoft probably would have some interest in acquiring Valve I couldn’t see them doing anything towards realizing that goal for like 5+ years at least after they’ve figured out what the fuck they need to do to make their gaming division profitable.

Atari has acquired the Intellivison brand and game library

IMG-8939.jpg

Atari has acquired the Intellivison brand and game library

IMG-8939.jpg

Okay..... how could this possibly be relevant?

Definitely become a thing of late within trending prank culture as a Westerner to go to Japan and be rude AF in eliciting reaction.

Saw an upload on Reddit just the other day of a woman running down the street in intervals to keep photographing or streaming this Japanese woman in traditional dress going down the road and clearly taking offence to the aggression of the Western lady with a phone in her face.

Story > graphics in coming years, predicts top gaming exec:

In an interview published to coincide with today’s event, Asad Qizilbash, the head of PlayStation Productions and head of product at PlayStation Studios, was asked to provide his predictions for where gaming’s headed.

“In terms of gaming’s future, I envision games becoming more personalised due to advances in technology and AI, enabling customized experiences for each player,” he said.

“Moreover, technological advancements will enhance emotional depth in games by allowing characters to be much more emotive and expressive, fostering more evocative storytelling.

“That’s going to help a whole generation of creators be able to just create so much more emotion in the stories. The focus is going to shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives that resonate long after the controller is set down.”

Qizilbash, who’s tasked with transforming PlayStation’s gaming brands into global entertainment franchises, also said AI will enable the creation of “more personalised experiences and meaningful stories”.

“For instance, NPCs (Non Player Characters) in games could interact with players based on their actions, making it feel more personal.

(...)

Those two properties would have the vilest, most macabre crossover – no two grimmer on man and the soul.

qxc7TQp.gif
Would be an absolute dream.

Has From ever done a collab that they were also a part of? I still hold the opinion that From would make an incredible SW’s game focusing solely on Sith lore.

Looking like it could be 2K games who will be the new developer for the FIFA franchise.

2K were rumored from the start once the split of EA and FIFA was announced.

As far as I know EAFC has a load of the players / teams rights exclusivity locked up for a while so it will be interesting to see what 2KFifa will have, I think probably like classic PES had

Rumor is next-gen Xbox will pursue a 'reference design'. Whether or not it materialises, what exactly is this? Gave me an 'open source' impression. I'll excerpt from an article I was reading:

According to Windows Central's Jez Corden, Microsoft's next-generation console will likely be a reference device with a heavy Windows slant for manufacturers to make their own devices, like the Surface Pro 11 is a reference device for AI PCs. This would be a huge departure from the previous Xbox consoles, as it would essentially make it a PC that could potentially run Steam games as well, and thus even the former PlayStation exclusives available on Valve's digital store like Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut and God of War.

RELATED STORY Intel Shows Readiness For Microsoft’s Newest Phi-3 AI Models Across Entire CPU & GPU Portfolio
Jez Corden using the Surface Pro 11 as an example is very interesting, as it was rumored earlier this year that the Xbox Next development is being led by the Surface team. The next Microsoft console is also said to be released in multiple SKUs, including a handheld one that will be capable of running games natively while also supporting cloud gaming.

Read here.

Rumor is next-gen Xbox will pursue a 'reference design'. Whether or not it materialises, what exactly is this? Gave me an 'open source' impression. I'll excerpt from an article I was reading:

According to Windows Central's Jez Corden, Microsoft's next-generation console will likely be a reference device with a heavy Windows slant for manufacturers to make their own devices, like the Surface Pro 11 is a reference device for AI PCs. This would be a huge departure from the previous Xbox consoles, as it would essentially make it a PC that could potentially run Steam games as well, and thus even the former PlayStation exclusives available on Valve's digital store like Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut and God of War.

RELATED STORY Intel Shows Readiness For Microsoft’s Newest Phi-3 AI Models Across Entire CPU & GPU Portfolio
Jez Corden using the Surface Pro 11 as an example is very interesting, as it was rumored earlier this year that the Xbox Next development is being led by the Surface team. The next Microsoft console is also said to be released in multiple SKUs, including a handheld one that will be capable of running games natively while also supporting cloud gaming.

Read here.

During the court case leaks there was stuff on the roadmap they had looking at developing stuff for ARM CPU's for a more hybrid approach amongst other things

8bC9LfLAMwtsyRjTutLvge-1024-80.jpg

Interesting rumor, but it's bizarre to refer to any of the Microsoft Surfaces as reference designs: they are not and have very little resemblance to any other Copilot+ devices now, and will have even less in 6 months. The Surface team also has no real experience with gaming, which would be another red flag. I can see Microsoft moving to essentially a licensing or branding model like Copilot+, but what's less clear to me is why would any manufacturer make a console that they lose money on if they aren't getting a cut of games and services?
The handheld Xbox part is true I think though, Microsoft has essentially stopped supporting Windows handheld manufactures so the writing is on the wall.

I guess we’ve not moved past video games making people violent.

Activision (and Meta) sued by families of Uvalde school shooting victims.

Suit claims weapons were promoted to shooter and trained on how to use them in Call of Duty.

The families of the victims killed in the Uvalde, Texas school shooting are suing Meta and Call of Duty developer Activision over allegations that they promoted the use of firearms to underage boys. The lawsuit claims both companies “knowingly exposed the Shooter to the weapon, conditioned him to see it as the solution to his problems, and trained him to use it.”

Full read here.

Back