• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherbros Legacy of Stipe Miocic

I remember first being a fan of his after the De Fries and Del Rosario fights

Werdum didn’t lose to Stipe bc he was past prime; he lost bc he underestimated Stipe and went in there with poor fight IQ. Stipe beats any version of Werdum. What? Werdum gonna take Stipe down and sub him? Please.

DC got into the sport late. He had some miles, but it was wrestling miles. Never ko’d. DC was an undefeated HW. Best win was Barnett in SF, the rest is meh. You’re a clown if you think DC’s resume is legit but Stipe’s isn’t. I’ll argue that DC wasn’t Stipe’s best victory, but he was still a quality win. Certainly not over the hill or past prime. Stipe broke his will to compete. DC easily could have smashed cans in the B leagues for another few years if he had the drive.

JDS wasn’t the same after the Cain beatings, but he was still a legit top ranked HW striker and Stipe finished him on the feet. Arguably beat him the first time.

Won’t argue Fedor and Nog.

Stipe beat everyone that UFC threw at him, including Ngannou. It’s not his fault that the division was lorded over by aging HWs. HW is the division where there’s plenty of examples of fighters performing well in their late 30’s early 40’s. This age thing is just used as a way to discredit Stipe by haters when in reality he beat quality competition consistently.

He’s the best UFC HW ever, objectively. Consecutive title defense record holder. Thems just the facts.

Werdum was a good win but he was 39 years old and went 4-5 in his next 9 fights after losing to Miocic.

DC was a good win too but he was 40 years old, was coming off back surgery and retired right after the trilogy. That's not a peaking all time great.

When DC was still somewhat close to his prime he knocked Stipe out in the first round.

Ngannou was a good win but he was still green. He lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight. When Ng hit his peak he handled Stipe with relative ease.

JDS went 1-5 in his next 6 after losing to Stipe and still beat Stipe the first time.

Reem had been stopped in the UFC 3x before he faced Stipe and had like 15 losses by KO.

AA was 37 and never won another meaningful fight again.

All good wins on paper but most of these guys were well past their best days.

Best UFC HW ever is fair but he fought in a weaker era, of older and washed up HWs from the previous generation.

Last edited:
He's the best HW in the UFC on paper. I think there are a few HW in the past that I would say were a cut above him in their in primes, Fedor,Cain and Werdum are obvious ones.

For me, around Roy Nelson level.

Roy Nelson is a prestigious heavyweight fighter, win some, lose some.

Too bad they never fought then so you could compare them against each other. Oh wait — that was the fight after Struve, and Stipe styled on him.

i dont think fedor can beat all the fighters that stipe fought
its just hard to imagine
especially with drug testing thats fedors weakness

but i do believe stipe spanks all those pro wrestlers that fedor fought

i mean if you make a tournament
the fighters that stipe fought vs the fighters that fedor fought

the fighters that stipe fought would win

quality > quantity

So, I'm gonna be honest, I never been high on Miocic ever. When I saw him get ktfo by Struve of all people, maybe that left a lasting impression on me idk.

I don't think Stipe ever got much love from Sherdog. He never had an aura like Fedor, he wasn't as dangerous as Crocop, he wasn't as slick on the ground like Nog, he wasn't as good of a heavy wrestler like Cain, his boxing wasn't as good as JDS, and so on.

He doesn't fight pretty, his wrestling doesn't look that special, his footwork slow, he doesn't seem to really have that 'it' factor as an elite fighter.

What he did however was he fought the best UFC has to offer from his era and he beat them all.

I never thought there would come a day that I would ever make a pro-Stipe thread, but here it is.

I think Stipe has what it takes to beat Jones. Jones looks like he got shook by Ngannou, who I think would've sent his head to the deepest shadow realm. Jones might be the most talented fighter of all time, but in my opinion he hasn't looked good in years. I still think the fact Jones looked so good against Gane was the fact that Gane's grappling is that much of a dogshit, not that Jones is still in his prime. Stipe never showed much decline relatively speaking in my opinion.

I see Jones worship going on around here. I never care for cheaters myself. You can say what you want about Stipe, but the man beat them all, and he did it the right way. I think Jones thinks Stipe is an easy fight. I think Stipe will knock his ass out. I think Stipe has everything you need to give Jones problems, even prime for prime, and I think one guy is far from that than the other guy, and it ain't Stipe in my opinion.

What would be Stipe's legacy on Sherdog if he wins? And I say Sherdog because I do think Stipe gets more love from the casuals because UFC pushes him a certain way. And I don't really post elsewhere, who cares about what casuals think anyways? Haha. jk.

I somewhat agree. I think what makes him underwhelming on top of what you said is that while he beat what was the best during his reign and while he had many defenses. That "best" were guys past their prime and shopworn for the most part.

His best wins are Werdum, Ngannou 1 and DC.

Reem, JDS, Arlovski, Hunt were all on the decline or already declined.

Reem was not Uber
JDS chin and speed were gone
Arlovski speed was gone for years
Hunts chin was gone for years
Ngannou got revenge emphatically

Even the Werdum win was more Werdum chasing him like a moron (something he never does, probably overconfident/underestimated stipe). A rematch would've been a much better gage. If he wins that rematch I think he would get more love.

He lost his last fight. He was never that good. It's the sherbro code.

I somewhat agree. I think what makes him underwhelming on top of what you said is that while he beat what was the best during his reign and while he had many defenses. That "best" were guys past their prime and shopworn for the most part.

His best wins are Werdum, Ngannou 1 and DC.

Reem, JDS, Arlovski, Hunt were all on the decline or already declined.

Reem was not Uber
JDS chin and speed were gone
Arlovski speed was gone for years
Hunts chin was gone for years
Ngannou got revenge emphatically

Even the Werdum win was more Werdum chasing him like a moron (something he never does, probably overconfident/underestimated stipe). A rematch would've been a much better gage. If he wins that rematch I think he would get more love.

To be fair to Stipe, Reem were off the juice, but that Reem still beat a lot of good fighters and was on 4 fight win streak. Werdum went full retard, but it's his fault.

It's just funny that Stipe is likely best UFC HW ever, but when it comes to Fedor vs Stipe, there are so many Stipe lovers, but no one around before the biggets fight of his career lol.

Stipe is 42, hasn't fought in 4 years and got blown out the last time he fought. How hard is that to understand? He has no wins over anyone on the current roster. It has nothing to do with his legacy, everyone downplaying the fight is just acknowledging that Jones is picking the easier matchup against the old guy. He even calls him an old guy in his text messages so clearly Jones feels the same way.

Maybe Jones should fight Fedor next? How about Werdum? JDS is still an active fighter, let's get him. Great fighters, all long past their due date. JDS is even younger than Stipe.

Jones wouldn't have faired any better against Ngannou though.

And yea, Jones thinks that too for sure. He ducked Ngannou like his life depended on him.

But Stipe by ko.

i dont think fedor can beat all the fighters that stipe fought
its just hard to imagine
especially with drug testing thats fedors weakness

but i do believe stipe spanks all those pro wrestlers that fedor fought

i mean if you make a tournament
the fighters that stipe fought vs the fighters that fedor fought

the fighters that stipe fought would win

quality > quantity

Prime v Prime the lists would be interesting. Difference is that Gedor beat Arlovski, Nog and Crocop in their prime and Sylvia near his prime.

Only guys Stipe beat in their prime are Francis and Werdum

Stipe beat a prime almost 39 year old Werdum.
Francis did not beat prime Stipe, he beat an old 38 year old champion. Sherdog in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Calling the guys Stipe beat washed is so insane to me. Werdum was the champion when Stipe beat him. He also won the fight against number 5 Travis Browne after his KO L.

Reem was on a big win streak and JDS was trading wins and losses with clearly good fighters. Also DC x2 and Francis are good wins. DC even while up there in age was quick and IMO far more skilled than his Strikeforce days in boxing.

Better than some other all time heavyweights? No. Very good and should be up there? Yes!

Heavyweight was a glamor division for so long and now it feels slow and lifeless. Fights never happen it seems and the talent has gotten lower. This slight rose tint kinda makes people ignore very real talent.Stipe has a hell of a resume and does well for himself in any era. Fedor bless

Calling the guys Stipe beat washed is so insane to me. Werdum was the champion when Stipe beat him. He also won the fight against number 5 Travis Browne after his KO L.

Reem was on a big win streak and JDS was trading wins and losses with clearly good fighters. Also DC x2 and Francis are good wins. DC even while up there in age was quick and IMO far more skilled than his Strikeforce days in boxing.

Better than some other all time heavyweights? No. Very good and should be up there? Yes!

Heavyweight was a glamor division for so long and now it feels slow and lifeless. Fights never happen it seems and the talent has gotten lower. This slight rose tint kinda makes people ignore very real talent.Stipe has a hell of a resume and does well for himself in any era. Fedor bless

@Ludwig von Mises

Werdum was a good win but he was 39 years old and went 4-5 in his next 9 fights after losing to Miocic.

DC was a good win too but he was 40 years old, was coming off back surgery and retired right after the trilogy. That's not a peaking all time great.

When DC was still somewhat close to his prime he knocked Stipe out in the first round.

Ngannou was a good win but he was still green. He lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight. When Ng hit us peak he handled Stipe with relative ease.

JDS went 1-5 in his next 6 after losing to Stipe and still beat Stipe the first time.

Reem had been stopped in the UFC 3x before he faced Stipe and had like 15 losses by KO.

AA was 37 and never won another meaningful fight again.

All good wins on paper but most of these guys were well past their best days.

Best UFC HW ever is fair but he fought in a weaker era, of older and washed up HWs from the previous generation.

The DC win over Stipe is a big asterisk. Aside from that, I still don't see how you could rate DC above Stipe. Talk about shopworn and washed HWs, look who DC beat in SF and tell me with a straight face that his run there was better than Stipe's. Monson, Mir, Roy, old MW Hendo? Like I said, Barnett is a quality win. Bigfoot has always been inconsistent- on his best night with moon juice pulsing through his veins, he was a dangerous, but never a great HW.

I find it wild that a midwestern firefighter who is heavyweight couldn't be marketed to superstardom by the UFC. It says that the UFC isn't the major mover of fighter notoriety.

Long time Stipe fan checking in
l@nd0

Beating Jones will always come with the Caveat that it wasn't prime Jones, but I'd argue the reverse as well. This is one of those epic matchups that should've happened years ago as they're both very similar styled. I mean they both weighed the same all that time anyway. that said, Jones is the younger of the 2 & so Stipe beating him will likely get him the respect he should've been getting during his whole run.

Beating Jones will likely be the difference between Stipe being under-valued for posterity... to having a more proper respect put on his name. He still has that respect from me either way, but if we're talking about how the masses will remember him, he kind of needs this Jones win to put a cherry on top.

I was actually a fan of Stipe's long before the Skyscraper fight. It was a friend that turned my notice toward him. My friend was also an OG fan, in fact we attended UFC 17 together back in teh day (& gave Tank abbot a ride to his hotel.)

Anywayz, my friend pointed out how well rounded Stipe's game was & how he's a great wrestler but uses it to stay standing. Getting Chuck vibes from that description, I quickly saw all that stuff & became a fan.

The Struve loss waz a gut punch & he had to work his way back up after that, only to lose a close decision to Junior Dos Santos & get shuffled back again as he started looking like a gate keeper. That was short lived though as he had that masterful KO of Werdum (while walking backwards) for teh title.

As his reign continued everyone doubted him vs Ngannou, but I practically dictated the way it went down on teh dog with a masterful performance now pulling his wrestling rabbit out of his magic hat.

Jones & DC owned teh division just below... for a long time. It was basically those 2 at the top & everyone else wasn't even close. Both of them walked around at or heavier than Stipe, so it was a treat watching DC make teh move. Okay, Stipe got caught, but it was fantastic seeing the top guys go at it & Stipe redeemed himself.
This fight with Jones is another such fight that I've been waiting for for a long time & though it's long overdue, I'm just glad its happening. I got no problem waiting for it.

Last edited:
I find it wild that a midwestern firefighter who is heavyweight couldn't be marketed to superstardom by the UFC. It says that the UFC isn't the major mover of fighter notoriety.

Someone like that will never reach superstardom because it simply isnt the recipe for it. You have to have some sort of edge or flair to reach superstardom. Not just check all the boxes as a good blue collar guy.

Back