Shallow Squats?

P

poo

a friend of mine recently decided to come over and join us for a war with the iron. it was squat day. seeing as it was his first time, i had him hold only the bar to see how it felt. i put a box under him that i felt was sufficient for his height, and told him to sit on it. he said he couldn't. i didn't understand. we took all weights away from him and told him to sit again. he still had lots of trouble sitting on the box in a squat position. i took the box out from underneath him and observed his further attempts. the kid cannot squat at all. he does this funny turning in his heels thing and gets on his toes. he said he couldn't stop doing that. it would appear he is just extremely inflexible, i think. i had him do some step-ups and lunges. he could handle those. i never had any of these troubles when i started; so i don't know what's going on.

do you guys know what muscle or muscles (heck, it could be all of them) would keep his heels turning in like that? or could it be due to something other than inflexibility? what sorts of movements should he do leading up to a squat? is it that some people's bodies just will not allow the movements?

Punch him in the face until the fucker squats.

Some people use their toes when they squat, i read somewhere that you can put a peice of 2by4 and put your heels on it. I dont know how well that works, i wouldnt want a peice of wood at my feet whe doing squats. It would be too extreme to be inflexibility, why doesnt he do a real lght weight. see if he can use no weight, just go through the motions of it. i kinda had problesm like that with the DL's its easier when there out like that. PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT, tell him to practise.

so, i'll admit that i'm an idiot as geoffreysquire brought up this topic about ten days ago in this thread

but still... with no weight he says he can't keep his heels down.... i just don't get it.

maybe i'll punch him in the face.

Tell him squating is in his hips. It's all about moving your hips backwards and forwards. Too many novice squaters think about going down and up. That's not it at all. Once you teach him to sit back, you can teach him to squat. I just taught my first protige to squat today.

when I was first learing how to squat, I just didn't feel stable when I got past about 75 degrees. I just felt off balance, and would do weird things with my feet and torso to compensate. I had the same problem with learning judo throws that involved turning my back to my opponent and getting my hips under his center of gravity (ippon seo nage, o goshi, etc). For me, I think it was a combination of a lack of gpp, core strength, and flexibility, as well as just plain psycological issues after a few mangled attempts.

I would suggest that you have him do alot of light reps either with just a barbell or with dumbells in his hands to get him used to the rom, as well as a shitload of more basic core exercises and gpp (star jumps and burpees with his ass close to the ground at the start of the jump). It might also help to get him doing box squats with a box a few inches above parralel for a while.

Tell him to stop being scared and squat down with just the bar if he has to.

Lot of people are just reluctant or scared to go ass to the grass. A buddy of mine said he couldn't physically do it. I told him stop bullshitting and just fucking sit down and I'll look over you if you need help. And he did it.

Firmness, assurance, demonstration, and lightweight with good form is the best

Have him begin extensive stretching of the hamstrings and hips in particular.

Find a few good lower body stretches for him, and get him doing them a few times a day if possible.

Fuck, I can't believe I just had to give gay advice like that.

CarnalSalvation said:

Find a few good lower body stretches for him, and get him doing them a few times a day if possible.

If the guy can squat all the way without the bar, the guy is just scared to go down.

The first time i did sqats i just went up and down, when i finaly got it it felt better, no back pain and just better feel overall, tell you guy to stick to it.

poo said:
we took all weights away from him and told him to sit again. he still had lots of trouble sitting on the box in a squat position. i took the box out from underneath him and observed his further attempts. the kid cannot squat at all.
Doesn't sound like that's the case to me Ted-P.

CarnalSalvation said:
poo said:
we took all weights away from him and told him to sit again. he still had lots of trouble sitting on the box in a squat position. i took the box out from underneath him and observed his further attempts. the kid cannot squat at all.

Doesn't sound like that's the case to me Ted-P.

CarnalSalvation said:

Wow, the new kindler gentler Carnal? He usually gives sound advice, but stretching advice just sounds funny from him (not saying he's wrong).

thanks, guys. i'll look up some stretches for hams and hips.

sorry to put you through that. we could bury this and never speak of it again.
what happens in s&p stays in s&p....well, actually, probably not.
"Carnal gave stretching advice" will be all over the internet soon.
i think i'll go make the ytmnd right now!

Why don't you try holding his hands (I know this sounds gay) for support, while he squats back with not weight?

Or give him a 5 lb dumbbell to hold in front of him for balance.

Then you'll know if it's some serious condition or if he's really just scared.

Can this guy sit down in a chair?

Well this thread is getting a little to soft for s&p. Dammit Carnal. Don't worry, I fix.

Punch him in the face and GET A NEW FRIEND!

i just didn't like the thought of the little guy out there somewhere doing bicep curls three times a day.

he can sit back in a chair, but he cannot squat down to a box without getting on his toes and turning his feet out.

i told him to stand on some plates today, and that seemed to help him.
i'll punch him in the face until he squats.

Back