Sh**, I tore something

rickdog

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went to the gym today with the idea of hitting a few new PR's on various different lifts. I started on Decline Press because of various shoulder problems caused from Flats. Anyway, I worked up to 325 as a warmup and it floated like 225, I was hoping to hit 375 on it. Next I went to 350 and then it happened. On the way down I just felt something let go on the side of my chest where it ties into my pec. The kid could hear something (best spotter I've ever had) and he immediatly grabbed the weight and pulled it off of me.

What the hell happened. I have no Health Insurance and Am afraid I need surgery. Has anyone else had this and if so what do you thinik it might be. I know nobody is a doctor thats why i'm asking for an opinion so please do not shut this thread down. I felt the pain slightly 2 weeks ago so I layed off of all chest exercises. On my warmup I felt it a bit but i decided (like an idiot) to just go for a 1 rep max. Anyway, its turning a bit purple but not very dark yet. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP DAMLMMMMMMMIT

That really sucks man. How's your range of motion on the side where it tore? Are you still in college? Does your school have a med school? You might be able to get it looked at there.

Ouch. Sucks not having the insurance when the accident really is happening. As for the subject, I do unfortunately have no clues :(. Are you able to use the pec at all? Are you feelnig pain and what kind of pain?

It hurts. My arm on that side has swollen up. It just let go, it was the weirdest thing, like it just tore and I had absolutely no power in my right arm. I'm screwed. My hand is so swollen too. Im telling you, Ive never had anything like that happen. It was funny cause 325 felt like nothing, even the spotter was saying you have 375 no problem. Then 350 came and on the way down it just let go and came crashing down on my chest on the right side. He grabbed it immediatly and said he heard something. The only thing is if it was a tear I would expect alot more bruising and it is very minute. Shouldnt a tear bruise immediatly.

Oh well, when life hands you lemons........Make lemonade. Time to work on my lagging squat and hope this is not a long term problem. Maybe a month or two at most? Gives me time to work on my core and my squats and some leg curls to try to keep some strength in the hams.

Could you go to a local clinic or med school to have it looked at?

If you feel familiar with the symptoms, you might have damaged your pecs:

A sudden sharp pain at the front of the arm or shoulder.
Pain and swelling over the front of the shoulder or upper arm.
Pain when you try to bring your arm inwards and across your chest against resistance.
Pain when you try to rotate you arm inwards against resistance.
A gap or lump visible in the muscle.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/shoulder/pecinsertionrupture.htm
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/pectoralis_major

http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=Rupture+of+the+pectoralis+symptoms&meta=

Yeah, there must be SOME physician somewhere who can have a look at it without charging you money. It's not like he needs to examine you for the whole day, a doctor will only need to touch a bit, ask a couple of questions, and he'll know exactly what it is in 2-3 minutes.

Do you know a doctor or a med student?

Yeah, I will go to my doctor,. He only charges me 50$ a visit because he knows i dont have insurance.
Those are the symptoms. My arm aches and when i bring it in across my chest it kills even without resistance. My hand on that arm is already swollen. This happened less than an hour ago. What a bummer. I was really hoping to hit that record. I dont know what im more bummed about right now. Oh well, It was bound to happen at some point. I guess it is good in a way that I will be forced to work on my lagging areas if i can get my arm into that position.

rickdog said:
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP DAMLMMMMMMMIT

Damn dude sounds serious. Like you might have ruptured the tendons in your anterior deltoid or the sternocostal head of your pec. You need to get some medical advice, it sound slike yo may need surgery.

rickdog said:
Those are the symptoms. My arm aches and when i bring it in across my chest it kills even without resistance. My hand on that arm is already swollen. This happened less than an hour ago.

Did you lose the power in the arm immediately, or has it taken a while? About 2 months ago I heard a loud snap while doing front lat pulldowns and it hurt right under the collar bone. It hurt that day but got better so I just stopped doing that exercise and it recovered. Our best guess was that I snapped a little cartilege, but it got better. Hope yours is something like that and not anything more serious.

This just sucks though because I was the strongest I've been in a while. Ive been dedicated in my lifting and in my diet and sleeping habits and then all of the sudden this fucken thing just lets go. My body is just made to fall apart. What a fucken bummer

Rickdog, you said "I felt the pain slightly 2 weeks ago so I layed off of all chest exercises"

And that you felt it slightly today. Where did it hurt those times? Was it a sharp or dull (aching) pain?

----

FCFighter316 said:
SEE THIS IS EXACTLY! EXACTLY! What happens when you dont have Primate Strength!

You need to watch your fucking antics.

I lost power immediatly, thats why I say thank God that spotter was there. I was taking the weight down and right on the start of the decent i could literally feel it tear. It was so strange if you've never felt it before. and I had nothing. I would have been crushed by the weight on my neck if that kid was not their to pull it off of me. Oh well. The best way I can describe it is a zip lock bag unzipping from the top down. It was not a quick pop, I could actually feel it tear slowly. It hurt like a bitch. My arm aches. Im just sitting here with ice on it wondering what to do.

Thankfully carnal said that Pec tears rarely call for surgery. I hope this is the case. I don't need to go in debt over this.

FCFighter316 said:
SEE THIS IS EXACTLY! EXACTLY! What happens when you dont have Primate Strength!

chinamonkeybars.jpg
Hey man, can you please save the jokes for another time. I am seriously bummed out right now.

To the rest of you, thanks for your suggestions/consideration.

tokian said:
Rickdog, you said "I felt the pain slightly 2 weeks ago so I layed off of all chest exercises"

And that you felt it slightly today. Where did it hurt those times? Was it a sharp or dull (aching) pain?

----

You need to watch your fucking antics.
I felt the pain where my pec ties into my delt a couple weeks ago when doing decline press. I stopped immediatloy and cut out all chest or anything that caused pain for 2 weeks and the pain was almost completely gone. Then today I wanted to max out, I thought it was something minor that would be healed by now, evidently not.

I'm starting to get some slight bruising. I will try to post some pics on this site either tommorow or Monday.

Back