SERIOUSLY thinking about wrestlin this year...

today i sprained my knee

we were doing carwheels (this is how we warm up for some reason) and i twisted up my knee pretty bad. its probably not season threatening because i would be in a lot more pain but i cant do anything for like a week or two because im on crutches

FUCK!

awwww dude that sucks!

Take the time to organize your thoughts and just go over what you've learned.

well actually, i am

a little backround information...ive never wrestled before and this is my last year of highschool. in past years, i always thought that it was too late for me to wrestle (how stupid of me) but i talked to friend who wrestles and he told me that its not. also im not some athletic specimen (im not some lazy ass couch potato but im no jonny bones jones either)

im just wondering what i should exepect this season (i already know its going to be the hardest thing ive ever done athletically)

just a few quick notes: im going to wrestle heavyweight, ive started eating healthy again, and conditioning hasnt started yet (and i dont plan on missing a day)

As long as you don't have any medical issues that would prevent you from wrestling, stop thinking and do it, you won't regret it.

Now that I look back on my junior high and high school career, one of my regrets, perhaps my main regret, is that I didn't do wrestling.

today i sprained my knee

we were doing carwheels (this is how we warm up for some reason) and i twisted up my knee pretty bad. its probably not season threatening because i would be in a lot more pain but i cant do anything for like a week or two because im on crutches

FUCK!

Okay, I just made read this post...

Don't disregard my last post, just take it easy for a while, heal up, and then get back on the mat. I'd suggest you go to practice and watch, that way you can learn a bit from watching and it shows you are dedicated enough to still be there to learn even though you are injured and can only observe at the present time.

As soon as your doctor okays you and you know you're good to go, get back on the mats and train hard but train smart.

Okay, I just made read this post...

Don't disregard my last post, just take it easy for a while, heal up, and then get back on the mat. I'd suggest you go to practice and watch, that way you can learn a bit from watching and it shows you are dedicated enough to still be there to learn even though you are injured and can only observe at the present time.

As soon as your doctor okays you and you know you're good to go, get back on the mats and train hard but train smart.

i plan on it :D

my acl is partially torn.

but i can still wrestle!

practice started a week ago. its by far the hardest thing ive ever done athletic wise but im having fun doing it.

Yea, wrestling is pretty damn hard, this is my first year wrestling also. I have a light BJJ background (6 months) with some knowledge of throws. I enjoy wrestling and am trying to implement a little bit of throws with my wrestling and so far its been working great. I don't know how to say it, but wrestlers who I've wrestled against (no matches yet, so take this opinion with a grain of salt) seem to lack something that makes it easy to get tossed around, maybe its the lack of knowledge of throws I guess. BTW: BJJ translates fairly well into wrestling (so far at least), its pretty funny how when I start out neutral and get taken down, I immediately go guard, it does work a little bit though as I hip bumped quite a few people to mount (they don't bother with the half guard) and have taken the back from guard when they attempt to smother me. I even omoplata'd someone, not a full submission, but just did the action and then took his back in a back/sidecontrol type position.

If you have a BJJ/Judo background you should use it, the hard thing to adjust to though is giving up my back when I get taken down.

Keep us posted and take care of that knee!

have you done any sports before? either way, prepare to feel like you're gonna puke your lungs up from all the conditioning.

Our coach expects us to be there unless we have a concussion, or a broken limb. If youre injured, you sit out and work the stairclimbers/treadmill/bikes, or you lift weights. Show up and watch and while people are drilling, do upper body stuff.

I'm a senior in highschool, but I don't go to a regular highschool (I attend a trade school). I tried wrestling every single year in school, but stupid shit always got in the way. Now this year, they've already begun their season. So I'm missing the last year I've got, but I've got my Judo and Jiu Jitsu.. so I'm good.

Enjoy it!!!!

Our coach expects us to be there unless we have a concussion, or a broken limb. If youre injured, you sit out and work the stairclimbers/treadmill/bikes, or you lift weights. Show up and watch and while people are drilling, do upper body stuff.

yeah for like three day i wasnt able to practice so i just rode a stationary bike. it was good rehab for my knee.

well actually, i am

a little backround information...ive never wrestled before and this is my last year of highschool. in past years, i always thought that it was too late for me to wrestle (how stupid of me) but i talked to friend who wrestles and he told me that its not. also im not some athletic specimen (im not some lazy ass couch potato but im no jonny bones jones either)

im just wondering what i should exepect this season (i already know its going to be the hardest thing ive ever done athletically)

just a few quick notes: im going to wrestle heavyweight, ive started eating healthy again, and conditioning hasnt started yet (and i dont plan on missing a day)

Good luck!!!!!! Best sport in the world, I just hope your doin it for the right reasons or else it might be a really long season

yeah for like three day i wasnt able to practice so i just rode a stationary bike. it was good rehab for my knee.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BE ONE OF THOSE KIDS there was no one I hated more than the pussys in the back of the wrestling room on a stupid stationary bike

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BE ONE OF THOSE KIDS there was no one I hated more than the pussys in the back of the wrestling room on a stupid stationary bike

Dude had a torn ligament in his knee.

Hop off.

not to be a dick but its not even december and hes already on a stationary bike.... thats a pretty bad start

I know, seriously.

All injuries generally happen in a pre-determined time frame which is totally related to how long you've gotten into wrestling practice this year.

Or not.

I know you said "not to be dick" but you blew it...the dick that is.

TO THE OP: If you have a chance to wrestle in school, do it. It's free grappling experience. Freaking awesome. I hate myself for not wrestling more now.

Back