SERIOUSLY thinking about wrestlin this year...

I'm in the same position as you. I want to do it, but at a school with 13 straight wrestling titles, it's not just something you jump into.

Do it before you regret not doing it.

agreed, you cant imagine how much I wish I could go back and do wrestling (among other things). My brother is a senior and Im trying hard to convince him to take it up, hes 130ish lbs and really strong (hes into body-building).

the best advice i can give you in to master 1 or 2 solid takedowns, 1 or 2 pinning combinations, and a good breakdown and standup. my mistake my first year was trying to learn very move possible but focus on mastering a few simple, solid moves

Great advice, thanks

I'm in the same position as you. I want to do it, but at a school with 13 straight wrestling titles, it's not just something you jump into.

you should do it. you can take what you learn from wrestling and take that into BJJ (which is what i plan on doing)

Hi,

Dreamcatcher10 called it right, master the basics and hit the conditioning hard. My boy is a wrestler and my guess is if you and your buddies look around there is mat time to be had preseason. Best of luck.

Reed

ok a couple of updates

there are some wrestling practices that start in a couple weeks that i plan on going to

1st day of conditioning was today. it sucked balls. it was probaly the most ive ever ran im my life (and it will only get worse :))

overall i liked the atmosphere of the team. the team seemed really close and i felt that they were welcoming

ok a couple of updates

there are some wrestling practices that start in a couple weeks that i plan on going to

1st day of conditioning was today. it sucked balls. it was probaly the most ive ever ran im my life (and it will only get worse :))

overall i liked the atmosphere of the team. the team seemed really close and i felt that they were welcoming

my previous post was rather worthless-- that sounds pretty cool man. I've thought about going out for wrestling this year too, but I think I'm just going to try and work as hard as possible on my wrestling/takedown/top game. I want one of those brutal guard passing games, and that can come with a combo of wrestling and jiu jitsu.

The team bond is pretty great; that's one of the first thing thats all the guys at my University say.

Man i hate kids you say they have wrestling at there highschool and they dont even participate in it i walked into my first day of highschoola nd went to the gym teacher and asked if they hada wrestling team and he laughed at me and said " this isnt 1975 bud ! "

I Hate you because iam jealous .

Us Canadians have it shitty that's for sure. At least there's Judo in most small communities.

War Wrestling!!!!!

Congratulations my man, and welcome to the club.

ric-flair.jpg

thanks guys ill try to give update every couple of weeks or so

UPDATE

first practice was today. well it was more of a camp/seminar because it wasnt ran by the high school coach. i fucking HATED warming up because i have a hard time doing forward rolls and stuff like that

the coach who came in and taught us was an ncaa all american in the 80's. really nice guy. he taught a single leg and sprawl and proper stance. i hate shooting single legs because bigger guys usually dont shoot. it was cool though because when im fresh, my sprawl is decent (im no cro cop but you get the point.)

the fun happened when we went live. i had a smile on my face the whole time but i got pinned in about 50 seconds. i feel like i could could have done better but i didnt know anything from underhooks. honestly i felt like i backed up the whole time but once i learn more ill attack more.

i sweated more today than i have in my entire life. i mean my shirt was fucking soaked. even though i hate warming up and i got my ass kicked, today was the start of a new beginning (god that sounds corny lol)

UPDATE

first practice was today. well it was more of a camp/seminar because it wasnt ran by the high school coach. i fucking HATED warming up because i have a hard time doing forward rolls and stuff like that

the coach who came in and taught us was an ncaa all american in the 80's. really nice guy. he taught a single leg and sprawl and proper stance. i hate shooting single legs because bigger guys usually dont shoot. it was cool though because when im fresh, my sprawl is decent (im no cro cop but you get the point.)

the fun happened when we went live. i had a smile on my face the whole time but i got pinned in about 50 seconds. i feel like i could could have done better but i didnt know anything from underhooks. honestly i felt like i backed up the whole time but once i learn more ill attack more.

i sweated more today than i have in my entire life. i mean my shirt was fucking soaked. even though i hate warming up and i got my ass kicked, today was the start of a new beginning (god that sounds corny lol)

Wrestling practice is going to make you a fucking machine. I miss the days off a 100 degree heat wrestling room, while rolling in sweatpants and longsleeve shirt. Best shape of my life. Enjoy it man bc your gonna wake up one day and your 30.

hell yea dude! keep it up. wrestling is a great experience. and it seems like HW's can usually do pretty well in their first year. just gotta drill the crap outta any move u think u mite use. have a few key moves.

learn the two on one tie up and I guaranTEE you, you will be the one backing people up!

you are simultaneously be in an offensive and defensive position.

^^^ I totally agree.

Remember, when you are controlling one of his limbs with two of your own, you are in an instant advantage. Plus, because of the drastic leverage advantage you have a CRAZY amount of take down options that are relatively high percentage (If you are doing them correctly!).

Practice your clinch game, you don't need to be a "shooter", but you should still be decent at it to catch your opponent off guard. Clinching is a lost art in the states, at least in California, every one always turns it into a shooting match. Then once they close the distance have no idea what to do.

Practice your throws, lifts, and sweeps!!! Don't be one of those guys, that once you get a dominant position you don't know what to do, so you break off and shoot. It's stupid, all that work to get in a dominant position and then you break off and take a half ass shot.

Then once you get him down, especially with you big guys, they will almost 80% of the time turn to their belly. You NEED to know how to turn them over and lock in the pin! This is where the match is won.

Plus, your going to need to get strong, assume every time your gonna wrestle, your gonna go up against Brock.

If your heart is not in it, don't do it. I know it is cool being on the wrestling team, but it is not cool being the bitch on the wrestling team. Train Hard!!!

Good Luck,
- Rene

This will be the most grueling and rewarding training you'll ever do.... it will also last you a lifetime.

wrestling gives the people doing it the work ethic needed to accomplish anything in their martial art careers

All the advice here is great. Also, if you can work on your speed/reaction time, you'll be golden. If you've got a solid base, and you can throw some speed in with it, you'll be surprised how few people expect a heavyweight to be explosive and quick. When I wrestled heavier weights it was always the first comment I got from people and the first I gave someone heavier than me who could keep up.

Also, you will never regret doing it even with a terrible record. I always said the only people who regretted wrestling were the ones who couldn't handle the conditioning. =P

learn the two on one tie up and I guaranTEE you, you will be the one backing people up!

im definitey going to try this after i get the basics down. thanks!

you are simultaneously be in an offensive and defensive position.

im definitey going to try this after i get the basics down. thanks!

^^^ I totally agree.

Remember, when you are controlling one of his limbs with two of your own, you are in an instant advantage. Plus, because of the drastic leverage advantage you have a CRAZY amount of take down options that are relatively high percentage (If you are doing them correctly!).

Practice your clinch game, you don't need to be a "shooter", but you should still be decent at it to catch your opponent off guard. Clinching is a lost art in the states, at least in California, every one always turns it into a shooting match. Then once they close the distance have no idea what to do.

Practice your throws, lifts, and sweeps!!! Don't be one of those guys, that once you get a dominant position you don't know what to do, so you break off and shoot. It's stupid, all that work to get in a dominant position and then you break off and take a half ass shot.

Then once you get him down, especially with you big guys, they will almost 80% of the time turn to their belly. You NEED to know how to turn them over and lock in the pin! This is where the match is won.

Plus, your going to need to get strong, assume every time your gonna wrestle, your gonna go up against Brock.

If your heart is not in it, don't do it. I know it is cool being on the wrestling team, but it is not cool being the bitch on the wrestling team. Train Hard!!!

Good Luck,
- Rene

great advice!

This will be the most grueling and rewarding training you'll ever do.... it will also last you a lifetime.

i fugured this out after the first day of conditioning

All the advice here is great. Also, if you can work on your speed/reaction time, you'll be golden. If you've got a solid base, and you can throw some speed in with it, you'll be surprised how few people expect a heavyweight to be explosive and quick. When I wrestled heavier weights it was always the first comment I got from people and the first I gave someone heavier than me who could keep up.

Also, you will never regret doing it even with a terrible record. I always said the only people who regretted wrestling were the ones who couldn't handle the conditioning. =P

that is something i need to work on. im more motivated to work harder now so hopefully i becoe faster throughout the season

You will become faster through drilling and rolling at practice naturally once you're comfortable with everything. The harder you go the bigger the reward. Don't be the kid walking when you could still be running during laps. etc.

And there IS a reason a lot of wrestlers are known for specific techniques. To paraphrase my football coach, "Perfection is when the other team knows that you're going to run a specific play. They've prepared for it. And no matter what they do, they still can't stop it." Having a solid base of a few takedowns you've mastered, pin combos, and your basic takedown defense and escapes like granbys and switches is much better than kind of knowing how to do everything.

Back