SERIOUSLY thinking about wrestlin this year...

Noob

Banned
Reaction score
well actually, i am

a little backround information...ive never wrestled before and this is my last year of highschool. in past years, i always thought that it was too late for me to wrestle (how stupid of me) but i talked to friend who wrestles and he told me that its not. also im not some athletic specimen (im not some lazy ass couch potato but im no jonny bones jones either)

im just wondering what i should exepect this season (i already know its going to be the hardest thing ive ever done athletically)

just a few quick notes: im going to wrestle heavyweight, ive started eating healthy again, and conditioning hasnt started yet (and i dont plan on missing a day)

Do you want to get in shape, join the team? Well do it then. You'll be glad you were a part of it

I train BJJ (blue belt) and I really would like to train some wrestling. But I live in germany and wrestling clubs are kinda rare around here where I live.

Go for it! Any sport is better than laying around in your youthful years when you're at your best

Do it man! I joined the wrestling team my senior year of highschool, granted- I had a judo background, so I did have some tricks, but all those guys pushed my shit in. The conditioning sessions are brutal and will get you into great shape, and most of the guys are really cool and especially preseason have no problem teaching you stuff and working with you. It made the difference between me being 6'2 170 to getting up to 185 with wrestling skills. Now i'm 220 (probably gained half muscle/ half fat), and having basic wrestling skills often are enough for me to have an edge over guys my size while rolling.

Enough that I had to start playing off my back exclusively because I almost always got top.

Expect to earn everything you achieve this year. I have seen guys in the upper weight classes actually do fairly well in their 1st year just by being smart and learning a few basic moves and training the heck out of it.

Go for it, you will be glad you did.

Being mentally prepared for the physical aspect is good. You've also got to be aware of the impact it'll have on your social life and academics. You won't really get to see friends unless you're exhausted if at all. Good luck with it man. Depending on where you live we may get a match.

I did wrestling my senior year of HS and it was the best decision of my life. Came in with only a little more than a year of experience of BJJ (helped somewhat), and wrestled varsity 130 weight class. Had a good season, came back to BJJ and my game had improved an insane amount.

I did wrestling my senior year of HS and it was the best decision of my life. Came in with only a little more than a year of experience of BJJ (helped somewhat), and wrestled varsity 130 weight class. Had a good season, came back to BJJ and my game had improved an insane amount.

Cool You are in SFL. Did you see that Desilvera (Conan's son) is currently ranked in the top 10 in the US at his weight?

Man i hate kids you say they have wrestling at there highschool and they dont even participate in it i walked into my first day of highschoola nd went to the gym teacher and asked if they hada wrestling team and he laughed at me and said " this isnt 1975 bud ! "

I Hate you because iam jealous .

Man i hate kids you say they have wrestling at there highschool and they dont even participate in it i walked into my first day of highschoola nd went to the gym teacher and asked if they hada wrestling team and he laughed at me and said " this isnt 1975 bud ! "

I Hate you because iam jealous .

That's a bummer man. I'm with you on kids not wrestling. Even if they don't start everyone needs a drill partner. The worst is the kids who claim they want to fight MMA who don't wrestle or even train.

BTW to the TS, you don't have to wait till Oct or November to start. Most HS have a club team and they are probably practicing already so find out which is closest to you to give yourself little head start before the season.

Expect to earn everything you achieve this year. I have seen guys in the upper weight classes actually do fairly well in their 1st year just by being smart and learning a few basic moves and training the heck out of it.
Go for it, you will be glad you did.

this will make me work even harder!

Being mentally prepared for the physical aspect is good. You've also got to be aware of the impact it'll have on your social life and academics. You won't really get to see friends unless you're exhausted if at all. Good luck with it man. Depending on where you live we may get a match.

three of my best friends wrestle so this wont be a problem. i mean its not a social setting but i guess it will be cool to do the same sport as my friends

also im form ohio, and you would probably kick my ass :icon_chee

BTW to the TS, you don't have to wait till Oct or November to start. Most HS have a club team and they are probably practicing already so find out which is closest to you to give yourself little head start before the season.

my friends have already checked with the coach about any open mats in our area and there are none, unforunately

Do it before you regret not doing it.

DO IT, DUDE! You'll have a blast. Wrestling is a great sport and it will definitely shed some pounds off of ya'.

It's weird to me to here of schools where there is no wrestling program. Wrestling was my schools #1 sport. We even have a very common escape/pin combination named after us.

It isn't too late to start wrestling, as long as you are dedicated to it. I started wrestling my soph year and went 33-15 on varsity, then junior year went 50-5ish then senior year went pretty much the same thing, so its never too late. I was a little bit of a freak tho, my soph year i was wrestling 119 and benching 250 (max) and am a natural athlete

I was able to get by on just strength and athleticism until my technique caught up. I was in the room EVERYDAY tho (including xmas and thanksgiving) for 2-3 hours atleast. What i'm saying is if you put in the time and work, and i'm talking ALOT of hard work, there is no reason you cant be a .500 wrestler, and atleast competitive.

three of my best friends wrestle so this wont be a problem. i mean its not a social setting but i guess it will be cool to do the same sport as my friends

also im form ohio, and you would probably kick my ass :icon_chee

You're lucky man. I'm friends with a few guys on our team but I don't really see them outside of practice. I'm in NC so we don't have to worry about it lol

the best advice i can give you in to master 1 or 2 solid takedowns, 1 or 2 pinning combinations, and a good breakdown and standup. my mistake my first year was trying to learn very move possible but focus on mastering a few simple, solid moves

I played high school football for three years, track and lacrosse for two and decided to try out for the wrestling team my senior year.

Aside from everyone telling me that I should have gone out for the team back when I was a sophomore, it was the greatest athletic experience/highlight of my little high school jock career. Better to have one year of HS wrestling than none, at all. Go learn, train HARD and have a blast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back