Seriously: Is Weidman just better than AS or did AS just get old?

Just like Chael Sonnen. How those fights turned out to be exactly...

Silva is the very definition of a finisher, he doesn't care about beating you on points. He will read you (even if that means eating some shots) and then he'll finish you.

Weidman just got lucky that Silva decided to literally dance around in the first fight and in the second that freak accident happened.

Those two fights proved pretty much nothing on who's the better fighter.

Exactly. Beating Silva before Silva beat him proves nothing! Silva wasn't given his five rounds to prove it. They should have let him recover and gone the rest of the fight both times so he could finish Weidman.

I have to agree that the thread seriously lacks context. Yea, 29 year old Weidman proved to be the better fighter between himself and Anderson at 40.

Prime vs prime can only be answered when Chris enters the end of his own career.

Skillwise, both guys pose problems for each other.

Silva is the very definition of a finisher, he doesn't care about beating you on points. He will read you (even if that means eating some shots) and then he'll finish you.

Weidman just got lucky that Silva decided to literally dance around in the first fight and in the second that freak accident happened.

Sonnen had no way to finish Silva. Weidman hits much harder and has a sub game.

Weidman beats the Silva that took Rich Franklins soul twice. He finally face a truly complete fighter with top level wrestling skills. Chael cracked the door open with a blue print and Weidman blew the doors off. Silva would struggle against most top level wrestlers who follow the game plan intelligently.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Chael wrestling is actually worse match up for Anderson than Weidman's. In 2 fights and 4 rounds Weidman only took Silva down once, in the first round of the first round. Every other takedown attempt Anderson stuffed. In the second fight it was a punch from Weidman that put Anderson on his back.

Likewise in the second Chael fight you could see Anderson improved his takedown defence and was healthier stopping all takedowns in the second including a deep double leg in the center of the ring. Chael managed to get one take down nice and early in the first round of the second fight but the improvements were clear in the second.

Weidman knocked him out then broke his leg next time he might seriously hurt Silva.

I don't think we'll ever really know. All we know is Weidman knocked him silly even has he was coming off a series of otherworldly demolitions, and that Weidman has won every round he's fought against him.

Pretty much this I'd say. At the end all we have is that Weidman finished Anderson twice, and was looking good before both finishes too. I think the second fight showed Chris is better, Anderson wasn't clowning and he was getting beaten up.

Anderson got old. You don't just go snapping legs and knocked out by medium power punches left and right.

Catch 22, Silva has aged tremendously, also his granite chin has been compromised. That being said, old Silva is the only Silva with TDD, so younger Silva would also lose to Weidman.

So yes and no.

Catch 22, Silva has aged tremendously, also his granite chin has been compromised. That being said, old Silva is the only Silva with TDD, so younger Silva would also lose to Weidman.

So yes and no.

I think the Silva in the second Sonnen fight had just the right blend. Although he was already on the older side, his tdd was pretty good. And his quick finishing ability is still there. Just look how quickly he finished off Sonnen (flying knee to chest) when given the slight opening.

I don't buy the narrative that Weidman has always been the better fighter... maybe bigger, but not better. I don't consider myself a Silva fanatic, as I've never really cheered crazily for the guy (if anything I hoped many times that he would lose), but I still think his killing ability is way better than Weidman's. And depending on how Silva's leg heals, I still think he's a major threat to Weidman should they fight again.

I think the Silva in the second Sonnen fight had just the right blend. Although he was already on the older side, his tdd was pretty good. And his quick finishing ability is still there. Just look how quickly he finished off Sonnen (flying knee to chest) when given the slight opening.

I don't buy the narrative that Weidman has always been the better fighter... maybe bigger, but not better. I don't consider myself a Silva fanatic, as I've never really cheered crazily for the guy (if anything I hoped many times that he would lose), but I still think his killing ability is way better than Weidman's. And depending on how Silva's leg heals, I still think he's a major threat to Weidman should they fight again.

Yeah I agree with you. I am no Silva fanatic at all but his second loss to Weidman was nebulous as far as the ability of either guy. I would not be surprised if he had won that fight because we've seen him come back many times, and like you said, his killing ability is the best of all time in my opinion.

The Weidman vs Machida fight just got replayed, Weidman is just a damn good fighter his instincts are ridiculous

Exactly. Beating Silva before Silva beat him proves nothing! Silva wasn't given his five rounds to prove it. They should have let him recover and gone the rest of the fight both times so he could finish Weidman.

So again, then what you are saying is that for Weidman or any fighter to legitimately beat Anderson they must win via 5 round decision. Are we reading you right?

If you finish Anderson guys like you will say 'if you did not finish him, Anderson would have come back and won. See the Chael and other fights for reference'.

I am guessing that if you decision beat him though the same guys would say that win does not really count because if there was no time limit Anderson would win.

So really lets just say if you finish Anderson that is really a win for him. If you decision him that too is a win for him. there is really no legit way to beat Anderson.

Weidman is a lot better than current and prime Silva.

AS has gotton older....5 years back and older he Ko's Weidman no later than Rd 2...not a hater just realistic

UFB. The Weid wins UFC strap on his 6th UFC fight, and only 10th MMA fight. The guys a freak. Everyone was calling AS the GOAT and Weidman beats him twice. Anyone who thinks Weidman checking silvas kick was just lucky doesn't have a clue.

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-you-chose-poorly-motherfucker.gif

AS has gotton older....5 years back and older he Ko's Weidman no later than Rd 2...not a hater just realistic

5 years ago and older his TDD and ability to get back up just get worse and worse, he gets submitted instead of KOed.

5 years ago and older his TDD and ability to get back up just get worse and worse, he gets submitted instead of KOed.

I don't understand why people making those statements forget this. Anderson of 5 years ago or more still loses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back