Seriously: Is Weidman just better than AS or did AS just get old?

RexChapmanFan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have seen a lot folks just make quick or snarky comments on this question either way. But I am wondering seriously what people think here and why.

Putting biases aside as much as we can, what are the arguments on both sides?

I tend to think Weidman is just better than any version Anderson. He is just more skilled in more areas, regardless of age. The AS that destroyed Franklin still loses to Weidman. I just do not see evidence that Anderson was significantly declining going into the Weidman fights. But would like to hear well-designed opinions on either side.

You don't get old over night. Weidman is better.

pls.gif

Combination to be honest.

Weidman is a superb fighter and would pose a lot of problems to prime Silva.

He could still beat him too, but it's unlikely in the same dominant fashion.

Styles make fights and Weidman is Anderson's kryptonite. But I believe he is better than Anderson and would defeat all the guys Anderson beat.

Weidman is a beast and ive come to like him but anyone saying Anderson aging was not being a factor is flat out ignorant

Styles make fights and Weidman is Anderson's kryptonite. But I believe he is better than Anderson and would defeat all the guys Anderson beat.

Basically this. Also, it depends on how you define 'better.' Anderson is unique and creative and flashy. Weidman is just really really solid, that's the best way I can describe what he does.

Weidman is a better fighter, and I firmly believe he still would've beaten Anderson, but prime Anderson wouldn't have lost via KO or leg break. He would've probably lost a hard fought decision or a possible TKO/submission after getting worked. There's a chance Anderson could get a comeback win if Weidman gassed or made a mistake late ala Chael, but Chris is way better defensively on his feet and on the ground.

Weidman is a more well-rounded and complete fighter now than Silva ever was (and it is very likely he hasn't approached his peak yet), and he beats any version of Silva as well.

Wiedman would have beat silva in any era. But that doesnt diminish how great anderson was during his amazing reign.

Combination to be honest.

Weidman is a superb fighter and would pose a lot of problems to prime Silva.

He could still beat him too, but it's unlikely in the same dominant fashion.

this.

chin deterioration

First loss he was clowning worse than he ever had before and basically let Weidman punch him thinking he'd eat it and got KO'd. That was just stupid of him. Second loss was a freak injury.

Let's see how he does against Diaz.

We'll know a lot more about both in a few more of their fights.

Yea, it's really no knock on Silva. Weidman is a really complete fighter with an incredible knack to both gameplan and adapt mid fight really well.

Anderson was getting up there, but Weidman just had an answer for everything Anderson threw at him. He had Anderson figured out. All of his old tricks, like his taunting, his head movement, his Thai Plume. Even when Silva had nothing left but low kicks Weidman had the answer for that too.

I think Weidman beats any version of Anderson.

First loss he was clowning worse than he ever had before and basically let Weidman punch him thinking he'd eat it, second loss was a freak injury.

Let's see how he does against Diaz.

He was getting his ass handed to him in the 2nd fight, but that doesn't count, apparently.

I'm not sold in those fights.

Two bizarre things happened twice, and people act like it didn't.

I think prime Silva destroys Weidman. And i still believe 40 years old Silva can dethrone the Chris.

I mean, Weidman used all his tools in first round, and Anderson came to 2nd like it was nothing, very fresh, while Weidman was already a little gassed.

Why can't it be both?
Weidman just happen to be "good enough" to catch a deteriorating AS at that point of time.

I think there are 3 factors:

Anderson got older
Stylistic it was a bad matchup for AS
Weidman is really good

Weidman beats the Silva that took Rich Franklins soul twice. He finally face a truly complete fighter with top level wrestling skills. Chael cracked the door open with a blue print and Weidman blew the doors off. Silva would struggle against most top level wrestlers who follow the game plan intelligently.

Back