Movies Serious Movie Discussion

I do not, not sure my posts are long enough for a blog. I did think about it for a while before, I'd need to stretch the posts out to make it worthwhile I think. But I have started keeping a Letterboxd account as well, so at least they are preserved somewhere else.

Size doesn't matter. Even "quick hit" write-ups would be good, especially when you think that you're writing about movies that aren't frequently written about. How many people do you think Google for the shit that you watch? If you had a blog up, those searches would go right to you. And, at the end of the day, the blog would serve as if not a canon then at least as a source for recommendations, with the nicheness of the titles only adding to its charm/utility.

If I were you, I would definitely do a blog, not least because you're writing about these movies anyway, so it's not like it'd be more work to take on. Just WordPress it up or whatever the kids are doing these days and toss the pics and write-ups here and there. Unless that Letterboxd thing that you mentioned that I've never heard of is more what the kids are doing these days, in which case just ignore the 80-year-old 30-year-old going on about blogs o_O:D

And then, as soon as I say that, you bust out this Samurai binge. I don't know what's up with this, but if a Hong Kong martial arts movie binge isn't up next, europe and I are going to be very disappointed. If nothing else, you should check out Fist of Fury. Not only would you get to see Bruce Lee, you'd get to confirm my theory that in addition to the Zatoichi films Bruce had to have been influenced by The Sword of Doom based on his performance in Fist of Fury.

I can definitely see that, there is quite a simulairty between Bruce's persona and Nakadai's when he's in "pissed off badass" roles. I do actually feel Fist of Fury ends up being a little underrated, viewed along the same lines as the rest of Lee's career when its IMHO very significantly better than the other HK films and quite a bit more ambitious and shall we say "less of its era" than Enter the Dragon.

To europe's dismay, I'm sure, I've always hated this movie. It's pretty to look at but the last time I watched it was in an Italian film class like ten years ago, and I think that was my second or third viewing, and it's just not good.
I don’t hate Suspiria, but othervise agreed. Btw, just saw the 1969 Spanish horror flick La residencia, that’s sometimes credited to be Suspiria’s influence. Good combination of sleazy Hitchcockian suspence and kind of Victorian gothic women in prison movie set in boarding school.

Pharaoh (1966)
faraon-iko.jpg

An absolute masterpiece from Jerzy Kawalerowicz. Faraon presents a stunning recreation of Ancient Egypt in dramatic widescreen. It is epic, but to say it is a 'historical epic' would be to give the totally wrong impression. It is far cry from Cecil B. Demille and Hollywood indulgence. Rather it is a lean political thriller which happens to be set in the 11th Century BCE. Kawalerowicz uses an extremely striking visual style - tracking shots and hand-held camera techniques mixed with dramatic framing. It conveys a sense of awe-inspiring grandeur, while also seeming totally grounded in reality, Ancient Egypt as Soviet spectacle rather than Hollywood fantasy. Of course, as a Polish film from the 60s it should go without saying that there is at least seem degree of anti-Soviet sentiment which can be read into it.

The film concerns Ramses XIII, a young prince who longs to follow in the footsteps of his more glorious ancestors. By this period Egypt is a state in decay: it's army is weak, the coffers are empty and the borders threatened by the more powerful Assyrian Empire. The Pharaohs have become little more than figureheads with true political power being wielded by the high-priests. Faraon traces the rise of this ambitious prince, his relationship with his dying father (Ramses XII) and the courtly intrigues of the high-priests. A struggle for power develops between Ramses XIII and the priests. Through this narrative of internal political conflict the film analyses the true sources of state power within this ancient setting, but framed in such a way as to acquire a broader theoretical significance which might be applied to any state, including modern ones.

Surprisingly forgotten film I have to say, I thought it was outstanding.

Ok, this is going to be Part I of my mega post. Part II will be me going through all of the movies that I've watched of late. That will have to wait. For now, Part I will be me going through all of the movies that you all have been watching - and by "you all" I mean mainly Rimbaud :D

giphy.gif

This will always be a special movie for me. For starters, this was the first silent movie I ever saw ("silent" should be in quotes but whatever). Added to which, it was the first Turner Classic Movies broadcast I ever watched. I vividly remember being in the guest room at my uncle's place in California during a family trip. With the time difference, California programs were coming on two hours earlier than I was accustomed to, which meant that the late-night TCM broadcast of "Silent Sunday Nights" was early enough for me to see it. Well, that night, the feature just so happened to be Vampyr, and I just so happened to turn on the TV right as Robert Osborne was introducing the film. I stayed up and watched the whole thing and was riveted. From a cinematic standpoint, I think that The Passion of Joan of Arc is Dreyer's masterpiece, but Vampyr will always be my favorite. Such a spooky atmosphere. The Universal horror movies of the day are classics for a reason, but nothing before Val Lewton could even approach the atmosphere Dreyer created in that film IMO.

That's the big thing that stood out for me, Vampyr just has such a brilliantly unsettling atmosphere compared with conventional classic horror films. The Passion... is one I always have been meaning to watch for years now, have a copy on my hard-drive that I downloaded in 2017 but haven't got round yet. I think it's even on BFI player too so no excuse at all haha.

Still haven't seen this, even though some of my students in one of my classes last year raved about it. To be honest, it's one of those films that I would be absolutely ecstatic to see just based on the trailer, yet, because I know who/where it came from, is a film that I am less than enthused about. Those warring impulses are the reason that I will be slow in getting around to it, but I will for sure eventually check it out.

You are wrong about The Witch and you are wrong about Eggers you sumbitch :D

Seeing this for the first time so close to my first mind-blowingly awe-inspiring viewing of Persona really cut it off at the knees. I hated Hour of the Wolf after my first viewing, and even as my memory of the film itself faded over time, my memory of my reaction to it was always very clear in my mind, so I avoided a rewatch for years. Not until last fall, when I rewatched it after getting the Bergman Criterion collection, did I finally give it a second chance. And boy was I glad that I did, because I honestly sort of low-key love it now. Like you say, it's far from Bergman's best, but at the same time it has moments where Bergman is doing what he does best. I love the way that he gets into Max von Sydow's head, but even more than Bergman himself, serious credit needs to be given to von Sydow, who turns in arguably his best performance in a Bergman film behind The Magician (which is itself another under-the-radar Bergman film with an underrated performance from von Sydow), and Sven Nykvist, who did some of his best work here, especially in that extended finale, which I legit love.

Yeah I think I watched it at just the right time. I have seen a lot of the stone-cold classics like Persona a while back, but hadn't seen any Bergman in a while when I decided to try that one and was very much in the notion for that kind of film.

One of the all-time great horror movies. I've actually been on a horror movie kick myself recently, but I've only been watching from Halloween on. It's been forever since I've seen Rosemary's Baby, but I've always regarded it as one of the top five horror movies along with The Shining, Psycho, Scream, and The Omen. I'd be curious to know where I'd rank it now.

Still loads of all-time great horrors I have never seen, I was always a big scaredy-cat growing up. To be fair I still dont have any interest in slashers like Halloween, but I have never seen The Exorcist for example. Love the others you mentioned though.

Old school SMD'er @aquamanpunch recommended this to me back in the day, or maybe I had to watch it for a movie challenge pick. I can't remember the specifics anymore. But I watched it, and it was one of the most hilariously bad movies I've ever seen. I can't find my original post about it (for all I know it was in one of the SMD threads lost in the previous forum purge), but in searching for it I was reminded that I've actually seen it twice!

Well I am not surprised you hated it <45>It was something else that's for sure. Have you seen any other Żuławski? I watched Diabel (1972) before possession.

Surprised the Lithuanian girl I dated while I was doing my PhD didn't have us watch this, especially since she would call me lokys. She must not have known about this movie - which doesn't say much considering a lot of the movies that you've been posting about of late are movies that I've never heard of, this one included.

Well I stumbled across it and it sounded interesting. Unfortunately it was decent bit not nearly as interesting as it sounded haha. But Borowczyk's The Beast (1975) is partly inspired by the same source novel as this one, interestingly enough.

To europe's dismay, I'm sure, I've always hated this movie. It's pretty to look at but the last time I watched it was in an Italian film class like ten years ago, and I think that was my second or third viewing, and it's just not good.

Style over substance but I enjoyed the style lol. I suppose with that one you'd nearly say the style is the substance.

No worries. I get it. You're busy watching bizarre Lithuanian shit that even Lithuanian people have never heard of.

tenor.gif

And then, as soon as I say that, you bust out this Samurai binge. I don't know what's up with this, but if a Hong Kong martial arts movie binge isn't up next, europe and I are going to be very disappointed. If nothing else, you should check out Fist of Fury. Not only would you get to see Bruce Lee, you'd get to confirm my theory that in addition to the Zatoichi films Bruce had to have been influenced by The Sword of Doom based on his performance in Fist of Fury.

I really don't know, as I said to europe I don't envision that Hong Kong martial arts films will be my jam. But maybe I will give Fists of Fury a go, @moreorless87's description sounds like it might be more interesting than I am assuming.

That's the one good thing about this Corona awfulness, lots of time to watch films <45>

Think this is the first evening I haven't watched a film since the lockdown.

That's good. I really have to start doing that too. Really I've only been watching syndicated sitcoms- Cheers, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, the like. I really have to watch more movies. I've also been watching some streaming series that I had previously let fall through the cracks. I would recommend the Netflix series Godless. Any fans of westerns and Jeff Daniels should enjoy that one quite a bit I'm halfway through but each episode almost has the feel of its own little film since they are about 70 minutes a piece.

Have to echo @Bullitt68 praise for your write ups. Your posts are really keeping the SMD going strong. Respect.

I'm looking forward to @Bullitt68 mega post. Curious to hear the elaborated thoughts on Joker and Endgame among other things.

I really don't know, as I said to europe I don't envision that Hong Kong martial arts films will be my jam. But maybe I will give Fists of Fury a go, @moreorless87's description sounds like it might be more interesting than I am assuming.

I think if your going to give 70's kung fu a go its probably as good a place as any, the fight scenes do actually feel quite modern with a lot of zip to them unlike a lot of what followed and the rest of its a pretty good revenge story rather than silly comedy. If your looking for something a bit artier maybe give Tsui Hark's The Blade from 1995 a go, nominally a martial arts film but pushing into quite intense and atmospheric territory.

Surely you've given a bit of Wong Kar-wai a watch at some point? In The Mood For Love, etc? nothing the least bit pulpy about that, straight up meta arthouse.

Luckly got though an order of Indictator Blurays from their sale to have something to watch over the last few days, Fat City really surprised me, I mean I love John Huston and have always had a soft spot for The Man Who Would Be King so expected more classic Hollywood with a bit of an update but this was more like John Cassavetes full of naturalistic scenes of down and out boxers in Stockton Dive bars and off the cuff dialog, surprised its not talked up more. First time I'v ever seen The Last Detail as well, I can see why it was considered a big deal at the time but perhaps lacks some impact after so many years of Withnails and the like going with the same kind of off kilter sweary dialog with a bit more writing inspiration, still a very pleasant watch though with Jack at his best even if him saying fuck 100 times doesn't stand out as greatly. Age of Consent was actually better than I remember(certainly far better looking on this release), maybe that I'm just in the mood for sun, sea and Helen Mirren's bum but actually felt this worked quite well with her and Mason pulling off a artist finds his mojo/coming of age story without it feeling that creepy(helped by her being in her early 20's).

I think if your going to give 70's kung fu a go its probably as good a place as any, the fight scenes do actually feel quite modern with a lot of zip to them unlike a lot of what followed and the rest of its a pretty good revenge story rather than silly comedy. If your looking for something a bit artier maybe give Tsui Hark's The Blade from 1995 a go, nominally a martial arts film but pushing into quite intense and atmospheric territory.

I will give it ago at some stage when and if I decide to check out Kung Fu stuff. The Blade sounds quite interesting I have to say.

Surely you've given a bit of Wong Kar-wai a watch at some point? In The Mood For Love, etc? nothing the least bit pulpy about that, straight up meta arthouse.

It's a real blank spot in my film knowledge, I will look into him.

The Last Valley (1971)
the-last-valley-1971-2-jpg.24723

A decent film with some strong performances (Michael Caine's German accent excepted), but I didn't think it was anything particularly special. Was hoping for more as this is a period of history I find fascinating.

Set during The Thirty Years War the film follows "The Captain" (Caine) a violent mercenary, and a scholar called Vogel (Omar Sharif), as they stumble across a peaceful village hidden in the mountains, remarkably untouched by the war. Vogel convinces The Captain to stay and shelter in the village rather than simply pillaging it as usual. From this point it attempts to act as a kind of parable, a study of the war in microcosm. The Captain is clearly intelligent, but seems to represent man's more violent tendencies while Vogel acts as the voice of reason. Tensions develop between the villagers and the soldiers, while religious in-fighting breaks out between the different groups.

It all sounds like it could have been interesting, but mostly I just found the plot a bit meandering, never really gathering any momentum. The tone is overly-preachy as well, there is too much moralising. It treats people in the past as simply dumber, superstitious versions of ourselves. Vogel and The Captain continually come out with lines that are just horrendously anachronistic - ridiculous stuff about religion and how God isn't real. People in this period simply did not conceive of the world in this way. Early Modern (and medieval too for that matter) people were not simply dumber versions of us, they literally experienced reality in a different way. This is a problem I have with a lot of historical films of course, but it was especially egregious here. There is a way to capture to the violence and horror of this era of history - The Thirty Years War was a particularly apocalyptic period of bloodshed - but this was not it. I feel like the style of someone like Elem Klimov or Andrzej Żuławski would be required.

Still a somewhat decent spectacle, but just lacking in a lot of areas. Interestingly this was the last film to be shot on 70mm, it's a shame it's now reduced to a poor DVD copy.

Last edited:
Patriotism (1966)
patriotism.jpg

An interesting experimental short from Yukio Mishima, one of Japan's most famous writers. The film delivers a dialectic exploration of love and death, as well as a psychological elaboration of Mishima's views on duty, honour and, of course, patriotism. The style is extremely striking, telling the story through the traditional aesthetics of Nōh theatre. At only 28 minutes long it is both lean and expressive, erotic and violent. In addition to simply being interesting from a visual and narrative standpoint, in choosing this style Mishima deliberately places the film within a broader continuum of Japanese cultural history dating back to the 12th century.

The plot concerns a young Lieutenant who commits seppuku following a failed rebellion. His wife then follows him in death out of devotion to him. In this the film has a haunting relevance to real life-events. Just four years after making it, Mishima - a deeply disaffected right-wing nihilist - would himself commit seppuku himself after a laughable attempt at launching a coup d'etat. Mishima saw himself as a traditionalist, a samurai at odds with the corrupt modern world. In this film the act of seppuku is portrayed as an honourable act. The sheer violence and bloodiness of the disembowelment is emphasised, further underscoring the seriousness of devotion needed to carry it out. Mishimi himself plays the Lieutenant in the film, and the fact that he would perform this act for real a few years later lends it a particularly uneasy power.

Just finished Zvyagintsev’s The Return. A really good movie. Maybe even better that Leviathan.

giphy.gif

Ok. Not lies. But it wasn't better than Leviathan.:p

It had a good dramatic core -- a dictatorial father interacting dictatorially with his children and thus resulting in the usual dictatorial misshapes. But it was a bit too straight-forward and, more damagingly, was one of those movies that added mystery elements just because and it not resulting in anything worthwhile or conclusive. What was in the chest? Was the photograph forged (ie: was he not being there an indication that it was forged, or did he simply possess an nearly-identical photo where he wasn't there? But if he wasn't their real papa, then why would he need such a deception? It doesn't make any sense on his character anyhow)

giphy.gif

Ok. Not lies. But it wasn't better than Leviathan.:p

It had a good dramatic core -- a dictatorial father interacting dictatorially with his children and thus resulting in the usual dictatorial misshapes. But it was a bit too straight-forward and, more damagingly, was one of those movies that added mystery elements just because and it not resulting in anything worthwhile or conclusive. What was in the chest? Was the photograph forged (ie: was he not being there an indication that it was forged, or did he simply possess an nearly-identical photo where he wasn't there? But if he wasn't their real papa, then why would he need such a deception? It doesn't make any sense on his character anyhow)
I liked the focus of that movie. The contents of the box were of no importance. Enough was implied that the that the story still made sense. Photograph twist was the only weak link. I didn’t like it either.

For me The Return was the stronger experience right there and then while Leviathan took time to process and grew on me afterwards.

Just finished Stay Hungry btw. Loved it! Very free-flowing. Just what I needed to break my lockdown deprivation.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985)
6a0168ea36d6b2970c022ad38e9b17200d-pi

A film that has been on my list for a while, but having recently watched Mishima's own Patriotism (1966) I thought the time was right. And wow! Schrader has blown me away with one. A brilliantly conceived and perfectly executed biography of Mishima leading up to his failed coup and ritual suicide. A life turned "into a line of poetry written with a splash of blood". More than a simple biopic it is an interrogation of his life and art and the manner in which the two were ultimately intertwined. In an innovative style blending black-and-white flashbacks, hyper-stylised recreations of his fiction and colour scenes of the last day of his life, Schrader recreates the thought-world of this enigmatic writer. I am sure enough has been written about this one already, but it was absolutely brilliant and with a fantastic soundtrack from Phillip Glass to go along with the innovative plot and sumptuous visuals.

The Return, yous have just reminded me about that one. If it's better than Leviathan I will have to give it a go soon

The Return, Eleina and Leviathan are doing a rock-paper-scissors battle inside my head. I enjoyed The Return more than Leviathan and Eleina seemed even better, but is even it really actually better than Leviathan?
<HisEye>

Must watch in 2020!

Life is Cheap But Toilet Paper is Expensive (1989) Another timeless classic out of Hong Kong!

MV5BMDA5NTBmYjEtOGMxNi00ZjJjLWJkMDYtZWM2Y2I3M2QxYmM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_.jpg

Same director as Maid in Manhattan!

MV5BMTczODg2ODI2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODIxMDg5._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Ha, I went through Mizoguchi's stuff to prepare for my history of film class last term and yeah, he's definitely the dude who makes movies about prostitutes. I actually really dug Sisters of the Gion, more than Osaka Elegy and even more than his later, more revered The Life of Oharu. Nothing he ever did came close to Sansho the Bailiff, though, including the great but vastly overrated Ugetsu.

I'd agree with you Sansho might be his best film overall, but I would still say Ugestu has the benefit of maybe his best sub sections, the whole spirit seduction sequence for me is one of the best bits of cinema ever made and as much as I love stuff like Kwaidan I don't think anyone else quite recaptured the same magic, scenes like the boats on the lake on the ending have the same kind of atmosphere for me plus indeed the end sections of Oharu.

What I would recommend is the Story of the Last Chrysanthemum, that's only a couple of years after Gion/Osaka in 1939 but is a much bigger production with less of the "missing an act" feeling, probably the purest example of his long take style.

Kagemusha (1980)
d82d7ff824b05a29d84b0dc2006ca6be.jpeg

Finally got round to this......
200.gif

and damn was it incredible!

Lets not go a second further without mentioning how stunning the film looked visually, some absolutely gorgeous shots. You can almost tell that Kurosawa literally painted the whole thing before he got to make it for real, his talent as a visual artist comes through especially strong in this one I think. It's the framing, the angles, the use of light, the colours and everything. Especially the colours. Breathtaking visuals!

Kurosawa's painterly visuals are enhanced by the sheer scale and historical verisimilitude. It recreates this period of history in incredible detail and the battle scenes feel so authentic as a result; huge amounts of extras all wearing accurate armour, not to mention using period correct weaponry! The samurai generals carry their swords of course, but this isn't Hollywood nonsense, so we have guns and polearms being used for the actual fighting. You really love to see it. The use of muskets especially warmed my cold historian bones. Just some of the best battle scenes I have seen on film.

But I also found the narrative and themes extremely engaging - a petty thief is spared a brutal execution by agreeing to become a "double" for a powerful Daimyo (lord). When the Daimyo dies, his last wish is that his death remain a secret for three years in order to secure his clans position and stave off attacks from his enemies. Initially hesitant, the double agrees to take up the role. There is of course an external tension as to whether anyone will suspect an impostor but increasingly this double, this shadow, is fraught with internal conflict over his position. Slowly he begins to inhabit the the role of Daimyo seamlessly... he becomes extremely close with the lord's grandson (who of course believes him to be his grandfather) and gains some grudging degree of respect from the chief retainers, yet always with the caveat that he is only acting a role. The shadow is haunted - both figuratively and in his dreams - by the perceived greatness of the Lord. His commitment is further tested when he must lead the lords troops into battle against rival warlords, who are increasingly suspicious of the situation.... It's three hours long, but I didn't find that it dragged much at all.

In a high-level sense Kagemusha is an interesting psychological interrogation of the concept of a 'shadow', drawing both on Shakespearean tragedy and traditional Noh depictions of warrior ghosts. Yet this also spirals out to cover a much broader concept - in this brutal, violent period of history what are the poor soldiers that serve under these great lords actually fighting for? Perhaps they are fighting for the love of their Daimyo, who inspires and gives them courage in battle...yet in the case of an impostor, a shadow, what then? What is it that they are actually fighting, or should we say dying, for? Is it the mere idea or is it the individual themselves? Kurosoawa obviously cannot answer these questions, but it was just brilliant how he wove all these various strands together within the historical setting of the Sengoku jidai.

fp-Kagemusha-03.jpg.1200x630_q85_crop_detail.jpg

kagemusha-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

kagemusha3.jpg

DJl72RXWAAAMtot.png:large

2UTk0kA.jpg

Last edited:
Kameradschaft (1931)
Kameradschaft_600.jpg

Watched this one on the recommendation of one Robert Eggers. I have to say I agree, the 1.19:1 fits absolutely perfectly with the content of the film. With this tight aspect ratio comes a verticality and a sense of confinement which captures the incredibly claustrophobic space of the films' mineshafts and smokestacks.

The plot is nice and simple. After the First World War tensions remain high on the Franco-German border. When a fire breaks out on the French side of a mine, an underground explosion traps the workers inside. The German miners overcome these national, jingoist differences to rescue their French comrades from danger. There are some sub-plots within this designed to generate some tension and allow us to specially identify with some of the characters. With this story the film sets up some really dramatic set-piece moments inside the mine, while ultimately crafting an extremely touching human tale.

Back