Selective criteria judging has to stop, it’s been ruining mma

I usually believe the users who comment with "didn't read lol" are retarded, but right now...

maybe.gif

Exactly what I said. How do you think people like Adalaide Byrd end up as judges? They are appointed by the athletic commissions. Meaning they know the right people. It's all cronyism. It's why they are never fired or face any consequences, because it means the other political hires on the athletic commissions can be fired for incompetence too. They cover for each other.

Ah, I see. There has been some really bad judging decisions over the years and while I couldn't name or recall a judge who is notorious for bad scoring aside from Peoples and now you mention it, Byrd was awful at the last event I remember her on.

You'd think there'd be an end of the year review or shortly after the card someone in charge of the judges who would review fights they judged on and ask them to explain why they scored rounds the way they did. I know they do it with referees in other sports, but not sure if they do it with the judges - though I assume they don't, since you wrote that post?

People show damage differently.

Look at bisping hendo 2. 1 round and hendo caused more damage than bisping did in 5 rounds. But bisping won rounds 2-5 for the Win. But he looked mangled

It was the biggest robbery in mma history

Who has the prettiest face after a fight is not a judging criteria in the UFC. Judging is not the problem the rules are.

And as for stuff like that being swept under the rug? There is bitching and moaning about it on sherdog on a daily basis, years and years after a fight has been fought people still claim the other guy won.

Like Melendez beating Benson :)

Look at bisping hendo 2. 1 round and hendo caused more damage than bisping did in 5 rounds. But bisping won rounds 2-5 for the Win. But he looked mangled

Maybe consider damage not as in physical aesthetic damage but as in the strikes landed on an opponent. If a guy did more damage in that sense but was controlled more than the other fighter, who really won?

Maybe consider damage not as in physical aesthetic damage but as in the strikes landed on an opponent. If a guy did more damage in that sense but was controlled more than the other fighter, who really won?

Damnit the multiple posts. Sherdog is acting up.

Damnit the multiple posts. Sherdog is acting up.

Ah, I see. There has been some really bad judging decisions over the years and while I couldn't name or recall a judge who is notorious for bad scoring aside from Peoples and now you mention it, Byrd was awful at the last event I remember her on.

You'd think there'd be an end of the year review or shortly after the card someone in charge of the judges who would review fights they judged on and ask them to explain why they scored rounds the way they did. I know they do it with referees in other sports, but not sure if they do it with the judges - though I assume they don't, since you wrote that post?

Of course not. And if there was, the people reviewing them would owe their jobs to cronyism too and be appointed by the same people.

Ok fair enough but how do you explain away when there is a legit knockdown due to a blow that cause a temporary short circuit of the opponents brain synapses? Surely thats proven brain damage

Or do fighters just consciously choose to fall down for the fun of it ?

1140 words you just used to make a baseless point. You used more words than DJ, the fighter you are defending. Sig strikes by the judges just mean the strike actually connected fully, no partial blocks. That does not mean he won the fight. If you actually watch it for meaningful strikes (strikes that actually effect the opponent.) DJ has less than ten and they all come in the first three rounds. If you judge that fight by round and use a more nuanced definition of a significant strike DJ loses. Death by a thousand cuts does not work or win a judges decision and we saw that in many of Rick Story's fights earlier in his career. No judge cares about a numerical value when you aren't actually doing anything substantial.

knockdown sure, but genetics shouldn't decide who will win fight, some people bruise, cut easier than others plus scar tissue; people with thinner skin bruise easier, so leave cuts, and blood out of it;
leg kicks should count, if damaged fighter will slow down, or will react for it.

They should start doing a show about judging.

Put some judges in a studio and let them score old fights on video.
Pause every now and then to let the judges explain their thinking.
Then have one of the big dogs in the judging organization comment on their reasoning.

That would both serve as a way to educate the public on the scoring system, and to help us understand how judges think, as well as perhaps resulting in some much needed discussion on the rules of scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back