Media Sean Strickland interviewed on ESPN by Megan Olivi

Honestly like Sean a lot but two take aways at this point in his career. If you've heard 1 extensive Sean Strickland interview you've heard them all.

2 he really is still talking about how you just don't go there and talk about someones family in regards to Colby's comments on Leon. I normally dont get caught up in this stuff but him talking about Ian Garry being a cuck and then being defensive over DDP's comments as well as Colby's makes me realize he's not that guy.

Was hoping he was the real deal in regards to not letting things bother him and making fun of the snowflake generation but at the end of the day he is really coming off as a rules for thee none for me kinda guy with some self deprecating humor.

I mean he only mentioned Izzy and his dog 10 + times in this interview alone after Izzy asked him to please stop that immediately following the end of round 5, it was clearly bothering him. I have 0 issue with him saying it but to say there is a line and that line is abusing children is kinda weird because you're indirectly ruining Ian Garry's kids social life by saying he's a cuck and his mom is a ho. Just ask Joe Frazier's son how devastating his personal life was after Ali's comments about his father.

I know Strickland and Ian Garry arent on that level of fame but cmon now the dude has 0 issue clowning on every one else at their expense.

Dricus looked great in round 3 against till. He Switched to southpaw, out struck till that round, then took him down and finished him. It was again one of his best rounds, and it happened late in the fight. He looked like he took round 2 off for sure, though.
4 and 5 we just dont know, sean has the edge because we know for sure he can mentally and physically perform against arguably the best modern MW fighter. you have to give the edge to Sean in a lot more areas than DDP. DDP has power and unpredictability, i think Sean and his team will get it done Saturday night.

megan asked how does it feel since you won the belt - Sean replies with I can't go to Walmart without getting notice lol. Such a hillbilly comment

It's what I'm saying. Idk why people are so confident in Dricus. Yes, he knocked out Whittaker, but Whittaker also has a bad chin and uncharacteristically ran right into a punch. It was almost as bad as what Reyes did vs. Spann. Meanwhile, Sean, who has great stamina and TDD, and just had one of the most defensively sound striking performances in UFC history against Izzy is going to get crushed all of a sudden? MMA math isn't going to work here.

I think Whittaker lost because he's given up, he's had many shots at Izzy and wasn't motivated to get another one. He half-assed the Dricus fight and it showed, even when he lost he was like, oh well

Kind of like when Aldo fought Volk and actually did pretty well but didn't even seem to try to win, because the winner was going to face Max.

Sounds like he doesn't believe he'll beat Khamzat

I have to say I agree

There’s gym footage of them training together and Sean says something to chimeav along the lines of

“Take it a bit easier on these guys we know you’re the best one in here”

Besides the skill and fighting style that makes this fight interesting, I find how the mental perspective of each fighter will play out quite fascinating. On one hand you have Dricus who has repeatedly stated he lives, breathes, exists to win the belt. He has stated he has thought about the belt everyday for a decade and his life purpose is to win the belt. Nothing else matters.

Then you have Sean who says the belt is meaningless and it currently sits in his closet under dirty clothes. Sean says he is champion now, but basically it’s just a blip in time as there have been champions before him and he will eventually lose. Opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of mindset going into a championship fight. It will really be interesting to see how the fight plays out.

Sounds like he doesn't believe he'll beat Khamzat

I have to say I agree
I doubt that, it’s more of a man who has had losses and knows full well no one goes undefeated, accepts the fact anything can happens. It’s not lack of believing but being “realistic.”

Back