Media Sean Strickland awarded fighter of the year (Mod Edit: By MMAJunkie)

Yeah that makes sense, dude went 3-0 this year(two on short notice against guys he was an underdog against).
Then caused one of the biggest upsets by not only beating Izzy, but doing it in a unexpected and impressive way.

Yeah that makes sense, dude went 3-0 this year(two on short notice against guys he was an underdog against).
Then caused one of the biggest upsets by not only beating Izzy, but doing it in a unexpected and impressive way.
The Izzy win sticks out the most but great job with the brief recap. I kinda forgot he fought Imavov and Abus this year and the circumstances with which he went into those fights.

1. Fight set up that is agreed upon beforehand as being for P4P #1 spot on Earth. You win.
2. Rematch the guy after you win. You win again, this time by violent finish
3. You don't become P4P #1
4. You don't win fighter of the year

Good for Sean I guess but sort of bullshit IMO with the goal post moving

Sherdog called it right / it is Islam

Last edited:
Lets be honest. All those hacks over at MMA Junkie were bullied growing up. They're manlets. Sherdog, the Global Authority in Mixed Martial Arts named Islam Makhachev fighter of the year for 2023. Islam isn't the type of fighter to cry on twitter when someone says something mean to him.

Lets be honest. All those hacks over at MMA Junkie were bullied growing up. They're manlets. Sherdog, the Global Authority in Mixed Martial Arts named Islam Makhachev fighter of the year for 2023. Islam isn't the type of fighter to cry on twitter when someone says something mean to him.

lol what do you think of the “writers” at bloodyelbow?

1. Fight set up that is agreed upon beforehand as being for P4P #1 spot on Earth. You win.
2. Rematch the guy after you win. You win again, this time by violent finish
3. You don't become P4P #1
4. You don't win fighter of the year

Good for Sean I guess but sort of bullshit IMO with the goal post moving

Sherdog called it right / it is Islam
I’d give it to Grasso because she went unbeaten in two fights against Valentina but Islam beating Volk twice is impressive too with Volk being arguably the p4p champ before their fights.

I’d give it to Grasso because she went unbeaten in two fights against Valentina but Islam beating Volk twice is impressive too with Volk being arguably the p4p champ before their fights.
Val is a legend and great and all but is clearly on the downward slope relative to her prime / as could be seen prior to Grasso. Still awesome wins though for Grasso yeah.

Embarrassing to pick Islam as fighter of the year, almost all of the yearly awards from sherdog were really weak

Back