Sean Sherk's Striking

You've never seen Gomi rocked or stunned? If I'm not mistaken didn't Diaz do that?

You've never seen Gomi rocked or stunned? If I'm not mistaken didn't Diaz do that?
I guess it's up to subjective interpretation, but...

You mean his impersonation of being gassed as hell and start swinging from his waist and just getting punched his millions times.

You know he actually started bob and weaving with his hand down right after each time he got punched.

I'm pretty sure it hurt to get punched, but he clearly did not look someone who got stunned or rocked.

He looked someone who blew his gas.

I'll have to rewatch the fight because I only saw it once, but if Gomi ever was hurt I think it was definitely that fight. Nick can crack.

Nick doesn't sit down on his punches enough and he has slow hands. I don't think he can crack at all.

I'll have to rewatch the fight because I only saw it once, but if Gomi ever was hurt I think it was definitely that fight. Nick can crack.

lol...I just finished watching that fight to make sure, but I still stand by comment that he wasnt ever stunned or rocked.

I have never seen someone who stunned and rocked swing with such "apathy".

And the thing is each time diaz cracked him...Gomi would just fucking start swinging lol.

Nick doesn't sit down on his punches enough and he has slow hands. I don't think he can crack at all.

Nick hurts people when he hits them, despite bad techniques.

Gomi wasnt rocked or stunned. He was just gassed. Gomi has huge chin, theres a clip of him taking a high kick in the face and it didnt affect him.

It didnt really seem like Gomi was rocked but rather frustrated and exhausted.

bingo-

example i saw these guys spar, one guy was training boxing-lot of padwork, bagwork, shadowboxing etc; but he didn't spar alot, hardly ever. He actually sparred a guy who just had done alot of toughman and had sparred alot of amateurs/pros; an the trained guy got handled, he just couldn't apply the skills eff against a lesser skilled, conditioned and refined guy. He initially got off; but eventually just ended up getting knocked around.

Agreed.

A lot of MMA guys either cannot or will not even find good boxers to spar with and they don't put in enough time with the sparring partners they do have. I just watched the Tyson training vid KK posted on the other thread that said Tyson would spar 200 rounds a week when preparing for a fight. I'd be surprised if Sherk did 20 rounds a week of hard, hands-only, sparring. There are pros in my area that are preparing for UFC fights right now and and some of them are sparring with guys that have no skills whatsoever. I mean, any putz with a little training thats willing to get in the ring can basically be a sparring partner to pros around here.

The problem is with Boxers, if you want good sparring you gotta give up a little coin.

The problem is with Boxers, if you want good sparring you gotta give up a little coin.

Pro MMA training is still the wild, wild west in a lot of ways. It will be both good and bad once the sport matures and develops but eventually the industry will become a lot more professional.

Yeah, I made a thread in the Ask The Fighters section about some of the things I thought MMA Fighters should be aware of that go on in Boxing.

I have a buddy who used to train with me in Florida, Jacob, when I visited Florida last Christmas he had a black eye and told me he was sparring with a guy who was like an hour or so away, and that Camp wanted him to train with a Pro who was getting ready for a money Fight. When I asked how much they offered to pay him, he said nothing.

Fuck all that, drive an hour with these gas prices to take it from a working Pro and they can't buy a guy a chicken wing and a grape soda?

Yeah, I made a thread in the Ask The Fighters section about some of the things I thought MMA Fighters should be aware of that go on in Boxing.

I have a buddy who used to train with me in Florida, Jacob, when I visited Florida last Christmas he had a black eye and told me he was sparring with a guy who was like an hour or so away, and that Camp wanted him to train with a Pro who was getting ready for a money Fight. When I asked how much they offered to pay him, he said nothing.

Fuck all that, drive an hour with these gas prices to take it from a working Pro and they can't buy a guy a chicken wing and a grape soda?

Ex-fucking-actly. There was a established pro asking around my gym about sparring partners lately to get ready for a fight. He was wanting to bang with guys 25-50 pounds lighter than him with no real pro or amateur experience and expected them to do it just to get their picture taken with him or something.

Somebody asked me if I would do it. WTF? Spar a pro 15 years younger and 50 pounds heavier than me just so I can say I did? I mean, I've done a lot of stupid shit in my life but PUHLEASE. A lot of MMA guys don't have any sparring etiquette either, you just don't know what you're signing up for. And what training value does he expect to get out of fighting random gym rats?

And yes, he was expecting people to drive to his location to do it.

In Boxing, if you don't abide by proper etiquette you don't get your $$$. Not to say there aren't guys with bad reputations, some guys if you rough them up too bad they won't pay you, but they want to cut loose on you.

But then there's guys like De La Hoya, who if you knock him down in sparring he pays you a bonus of $1,000. And Larry Holmes used to put $10,000 bounties out on himself for anyone who could knock him down.

KK...you think Nick can crack?

edit: just read the posts that followed. gotcha.

I would love a thread disecting his style and how he can improve but...it'll get closed within hours. i've trained bjj with him and im a huge fan.

hope Kings in Oakland can straighten him out.

People don't give Diaz's boxing enough credit, with the 4 oz gloves the constant softer shots he throws really keep guys off balance and uncomfortable. Gomi was a perfect example of that, he was throwing looping punches out of nowhere because he wanted Diaz off of him. If Diaz moved his head more, he'd be hell for anyone on the feet.

People don't give Diaz's boxing enough credit, with the 4 oz gloves the constant softer shots he throws really keep guys off balance and uncomfortable. Gomi was a perfect example of that, he was throwing looping punches out of nowhere because he wanted Diaz off of him. If Diaz moved his head more, he'd be hell for anyone on the feet.

urban....him using bj's approach against sherk would be dangerous. agreed?

shit...diaz actually has a hook.

BJ certainly outboxed him, but he need to keep his damn hands up. if Sherk was 3 or 4 inches taller he may well have landed one of those savage left hooks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back