Sean Sherk's Striking

People don't give Diaz's boxing enough credit, with the 4 oz gloves the constant softer shots he throws really keep guys off balance and uncomfortable. Gomi was a perfect example of that, he was throwing looping punches out of nowhere because he wanted Diaz off of him. If Diaz moved his head more, he'd be hell for anyone on the feet.

Gomi was swinging like that cause he was fucking tired.

Anyway, if anyone is a volume puncher in MMA...it's diaz although sherk outvolumed him in their fight.

someone give zambo's number to sherk

LOL...that's pretty much what I was thinking after the first round. And after seeing Sherk's mad dash scrambles for takedowns in past fights I was just amazed that he only went for two(?) in three rounds, especially after his plan to stand with Penn was obviously not working. I want to know why Greg didn't have him shooting to beat hell at the beginning of the third round...Now Sean's standup is decent, he's got crisp punches and he always (typically) throws in 3-4 punch combos, and he usually has good head movement...but like what was said before, he just stayed right in Penn's range, never got in the pocket long enough to do anything, footwork is key for the shorter guys and I'm suprised Greg didn't have him focus more on that for their plan to keep it standing.

Yeah i cant really see why Sherk tried to strike at all. He should have covered up and threw a ton of leg kicks.

Couple of things I noticed:

1. Sherk buckled BJ's legs whenever he threw leg kicks. Would've been a good strategy to wear his legs down since BJ is more concerned with throwing hands as opposed to checking or blocking kicks.

2. BJ wasn't as explosive compared to his fights against Stevenson and Pulver. Was he trying to conserve gas?

3. BJ's hands were pretty low. Do people really think he's got good boxing technique for an MMA'er? He seems to rely more on quickness than technique and quickness.

4. His weak takedowns and preference to stand and bang with hands low is gonna get him in trouble with someone with KO power who can stuff his weak TDs.

In Boxing, if you don't abide by proper etiquette you don't get your $$$. Not to say there aren't guys with bad reputations, some guys if you rough them up too bad they won't pay you, but they want to cut loose on you.

But then there's guys like De La Hoya, who if you knock him down in sparring he pays you a bonus of $1,000. And Larry Holmes used to put $10,000 bounties out on himself for anyone who could knock him down.

Interesting. I never understood how that worked. How do pro-boxers find sparring partners? just through word of mouth, other guys at their gym.......? Amateurs? just curious?

I didn't read this whole thread. But has anyone found out if sherks right hand was fucked up? Rogan mentioned it in the 2nd round, and he only threw like 5 rights after that! Goldberg mentions it again in the 3rd before he gets dropped w/ that knee and finished.

Interesting. I never understood how that worked. How do pro-boxers find sparring partners? just through word of mouth, other guys at their gym.......? Amateurs? just curious?

All of the above.

His gameplan and execution sucked. He tried to box with a better boxer who is 3 inches taller. After the first round he tried to just counter BJ but his accuracy was poor and obviously he had the reach disadvantage.

His leg kicks were looking crisp he should have damage BJ with those but he got too into trying to prove that hes a better boxer than BJ and ended up losing the fight because of it.

Gomi was swinging like that cause he was fucking tired.

Anyway, if anyone is a volume puncher in MMA...it's diaz although sherk outvolumed him in their fight.

And the fact that Gomi was gassing out that hard had nothing to do with the way Diaz kept Gomi constantly off balance or ever able to find any kind've a rhythm? Yeah, I forgot, Gomi must've just been out of shape or didn't take Diaz seriously or any other generic excuse, give me a break. Diaz made Gomi fight that way.

Has Sherk trained years and years in the wrong style of boxing? he must know that his reach is less then probably anybody at 170.

He has developed a striking game he cannot utilize, correct?

I think its more an ego thing, wanted to prove he was a better boxer than BJ.

And the fact that Gomi was gassing out that hard had nothing to do with the way Diaz kept Gomi constantly off balance or ever able to find any kind've a rhythm? Yeah, I forgot, Gomi must've just been out of shape or didn't take Diaz seriously or any other generic excuse, give me a break. Diaz made Gomi fight that way.

?

The stand up battle wasnt even that relevant until gomi was gassed. The gomi blew the load during the long ground and pound attempt in the first round.

?

The stand up battle wasnt even that relevant until gomi was gassed. The gomi blew the load during the long ground and pound attempt in the first round.

Did you see Diaz's last fight against Katsuya Inoue. I thought he was pretty sloppy in that fight. He was willing to take punches in order to land his own since the other fighter has inferior punching power.

i don't think so
i've seen gomi fight dozens of times, and even more in live sparring
and he's never been off balance or backed off from anyone
that includes pro boxers who would wipe the floor with diaz in a boxing match
and that also includes his bout with duane ludwig, who is arguably one of the best standup guys in mma

i'm 100% sure, gomi thai night looked completely out of shape, fatigued and not givin a fuk about strategy
he went out there to put on a crazy show for the fans, doing stupid manuevers throwing bombs, he played around too much and that's why he lost
i in no way believe that diaz is a superior boxer

back to pt

maybe i'm the only one, but i was bored w the penn x sherk fight
every time sherk moved in a straight line right into bj's counter jab
and it was a predictable result everytime, like an amateur boxing match

wrong distance, flatfooted and frustrating to watch
sherk looks like the kind of guy who has never sparred with guys with the reach of penn
and he looks like the type of fighter who looks decent on the mitts, but not in the ring
he probably has power and speed in both hands, but he doesn't have any stepwork
i mean you look at a fighter like kid yamamoto, the guy literally fights 99% with his right hook
but he feints, and steps in from crazy distances and angles, which is why he is a 'good striker'
huge difference, cuz sherk does neither

would have like to see sherk fight his way inside at least once
but instead, he tried fight a technical boxing match, but it was neither technical nor entertaining imo

He looked like someone who hadn't had much sparring against someone with a longer reach than him. He had no answer to the reach deficit. It won't matter how good you look against one type of opponent or how good you look on the pads if you can't apply it against your opponent. He's a short man who needs to learn how to fight like a short man. And BJ is one of the better boxers out there in MMA. He needs to go train with Ricky Hatton.

His leg kicks were looking crisp he should have damage BJ with those but he got too into trying to prove that hes a better boxer than BJ and ended up losing the fight because of it.

Yeah that could have won him the fight actually. If knew how to throw kicks off his punches then he'd still have been in range after his failed out of reach punches. It would have been the perfect standup strategy for him. He should go train more MT. I don't think BJ even checked one kick, maybe once half heartedly.

Yeah that could have won him the fight actually. If knew how to throw kicks off his punches then he'd still have been in range after his failed out of reach punches. It would have been the perfect standup strategy for him. He should go train more MT. I don't think BJ even checked one kick, maybe once half heartedly.

bj is notorious for not checking kicks

regardless, sherk is not used to throwing kicks
you can tell because his technique is not good, nor fluid, he looks completely stiff
that's why he only threw a few
even though bj was wide open
good kicks are generated with technique and timing
sherk should rent some video of mach

He just got picked apart. He doesn't have bad striking but it's not good enough.

Back